A Different Tire Q.

sixreps

Registered
Would it be ok to mix tires? same Brand but different model.

I have a new 2CT for the front (not installed yet)
would it be out ok to mix it with a Reg, PP on the rear or should they be the same?

I prefer to keep both tires the same but that's me. I don't believe there would be a problem with different models of the same mfgr as long as the tires match the recommended ratings. Just my :2cents:

I would keep both tires the same.
Tires have vastly different handling characteristics today and it may make a big difference if you mess with different types, even from the same manufacturer.

JMO

It's AZ Bike Week, grab a deal on a matching rear :thumbsup:

I wouldn't mix the two. The 2CT is a dual compound tire, and if you mix-and-match, you might adversely affect your handling. I'm sure that people have done worse combinations, I would suggest exercising good judgment when doing so.

I've mounted two different mfg before, of course I don't ride like Mat Mladin and realized what I had and took it easy, don't fool yourself, keep it in check. Sometimes even economic reasons cant stop the ride.

I know a guy that always does that. He runs a diablo on the rear, and a corsa III on the front, and loves it that way ??

If you are mixing tires, that's the way to it. Stay with the same manufacturer. I've mixed tires lots of times and it works fine. I even mix tires on the track with a slick on the front and DOT on the rear. Good combination.

Your PP & PP2ct are identical tires. The only thing Michelin did was apply a thin little sliver about as wide as your thumb on the outside edges of the standard PP to make the PP2ct. You can mix and match these two tires and not even a professional rider will know the difference.

By the way, if you like the idea of multiple compound tires, when it's time for tires again, do yourself a huge favor and have a look at the BTO16 which is a triple compound rear and dual compound front or the Pirelli Corsa III which has a full one third of each side of the tire covered in the sticky rubber! More than twice as much at the PP2ct. :beerchug:

If you are mixing tires, that's the way to it. Stay with the same manufacturer. I've mixed tires lots of times and it works fine. I even mix tires on the track with a slick on the front and DOT on the rear. Good combination.

Your PP & PP2ct are identical tires. The only thing Michelin did was apply a thin little sliver about as wide as your thumb on the outside edges of the standard PP to make the PP2ct. You can mix and match these two tires and not even a professional rider will know the difference.

By the way, if you like the idea of multiple compound tires, when it's time for tires again, do yourself a huge favor and have a look at the BTO16 which is a triple compound rear and dual compound front or the Pirelli Corsa III which has a full one third of each side of the tire covered in the sticky rubber! More than twice as much at the PP2ct. :beerchug:
+1 :agree:

would it be out ok to mix it with a Reg, PP on the rear or should they be the same?

Don't know your riding style, but I use to be aggressive street. I had mixed tires front to rear and never had an issue with mix. Had a bad Shinko rear once.

Don't know your riding style, but I use to be aggressive street. I had mixed tires front to rear and never had an issue with mix. Had a bad Shinko rear once.

I ran Michelin PP 2CTs front and rear most of the time. It just took me a while to get there.

I Put those BT016 on today. Took off My Pilot Powers.
(Yeah Tuf you win) :laugh:
Can't ride for a while to test them - too much snow but soon.
They seem real nice from all I have read.

You won't notice any difference. 2CT front tire is almost identical to the Pilot Power.

Last edited:
It's AZ Bike Week, grab a deal on a matching rear :thumbsup:

I wouldn't mix the two. The 2CT is a dual compound tire, and if you mix-and-match, you might adversely affect your handling. I'm sure that people have done worse combinations, I would suggest exercising good judgment when doing so.

The Pilot Power 2CT front tire is a "single" compound :whistle:

From the Michelin Website:

Michelin North America Motorcycle Tires

The Pilot Power 2CT rear has 2 compounds #3 in the center and #2 on the side.
The Pilot Power 2CT front has 2 compounds #2 in the center and #1 on the side.

So the compound that is on the side in the rear is in the center on the front.

Attachments

• 2ct.bmp
    131.2 KB · Views: 169
I use a PP front and a Pilot Road 2 rear with no problems or handling issues. Evens out the wear, rear lasts as long as the front.

Please check your facts :whistle:

:thumbsup:
I stand corrected...when they first came out with the tire it was a single compound front. With just the edge of the tire (10%) being the softer compound, on the street with a 120/70 profile you will not get to the edge of the tire...so it becomes a one compound front.

Keep a eye out for front tire "chicken strips" other that a highly skilled rider on a race track...everybody will have that 1/4" or so strip on their front tire :whistle:

I Put those BT016 on today. Took off My Pilot Powers.
(Yeah Tuf you win) :laugh:
Can't ride for a while to test them - too much snow but soon.
They seem real nice from all I have read.

Hot dang Mikey, I'm proud of you! I think you'll like those 16's!

I just picked up a set of the BT002RS tires yesterday to try out. Everyone brags about how well they perform so I couldn't resist. I'll give them a little track time when the weather warms a bit. GregBob just put a set on his Gixxer1K before he went to Infinion and he is on them this weekend at Thunderhill so I'm sure he will have an opinion to share with us when he returns!

Good choice on the 16's buddy! :thumbsup:

Hot dang Mikey, I'm proud of you! I think you'll like those 16's!

I just picked up a set of the BT002RS tires yesterday to try out. Everyone brags about how well they perform so I couldn't resist. I'll give them a little track time when the weather warms a bit. GregBob just put a set on his Gixxer1K before he went to Infinion and he is on them this weekend at Thunderhill so I'm sure he will have an opinion to share with us when he returns!

Good choice on the 16's buddy! :thumbsup:

Thanks Tuf.
I like the Pilot Powers, and a lot of why I switched was due to your (and others) comments. :thumbsup:
I'll let you know how they work!

Back