99 hayabusa misfire around 5-6k

Azzaratazzah

Registered
Hi all, I have a 99 Suzuki hayabusa with 158,000km on the clock and have notice that recently it had developed what feels like a misfire under light acceleration or trying to hold a speed at around 5-7k rpm but if I increase the engine load it’s gone straight away. It also comes and goes, sometimes will run fine for 100km or more then play up for 10km then run fine again grrr lol, it has also stalled on me half a dozen times but restarts absolutely fine doesn’t seem to be temp related as it has done this from dead cold & at operating temp. I have recently put new plugs and changed all fuel filters as they were due anyway and hasn’t changed the issue, almost feels like a complete power cut not just a single cylinder to me but just wondered if anyone has stumbled across a similar issue before, thinking possibly coils but I haven’t started to pull it apart yet to look for the issue, thought I’d run it by you guys first.

thanks,
Aaron.

I had a similar issue and it ended up being the fuel pump. Not saying its that, but it could be. And if you still have the stock one, I suggest going after market with a pump, regulator, and filter. Not difficult, just have to figure a way to mount it like i did.

A coil is easy to test with an ohm meter and they are prone to wearing out overtime the rubber boots can also go, but I do get bad fuel where I live sometimes and the bike will sometimes misfire or stall on take off at lights, I usually just fill it with premium then back to regular once the tanks empty has only happened twice.

Thanks guys, really appreciate the tips and will definitely check everything mentioned, can’t imagine it would be fuel only because while the light misfire/running rough occurs if I roll on she pulls like a train all the way to redline and smooth?, but I will definitely check fuel pressures and look into the pump mods, I’ve heard of people going to a later model tank as well as they moved it into the tank ?

Thanks guys, really appreciate the tips and will definitely check everything mentioned, can’t imagine it would be fuel only because while the light misfire/running rough occurs if I roll on she pulls like a train all the way to redline and smooth?, but I will definitely check fuel pressures and look into the pump mods, I’ve heard of people going to a later model tank as well as they moved it into the tank ?
Thats what was happening with me and I thought it was something else! If I pulled back on the throttle gradually, it would red line.. but if I quicky tried to gun it..it wouldn't go past like 4 or 5 k and then bog down.

Thats what was happening with me and I thought it was something else! If I pulled back on the throttle gradually, it would red line.. but if I quicky tried to gun it..it wouldn't go past like 4 or 5 k and then bog down.
I put a new fuel system in which was fairly cheap... and it ran like new and started up like it was fresh off the showroom floor. And by cheap I mean like $100-$140. If you try to get a stock one..which are awful btw... they can go for $500. Such a rip off. Also if you do end up doing that, I would order a Pingel petcock, as well as install some quick disconnects on the fuel lines coming off the tank. This way you can not only turn the fuel off, but you don't have to fight the lines trying to put the tank up. Good luck!

Hi all, I have a 99 Suzuki hayabusa with 158,000km on the clock and have notice that recently it had developed what feels like a misfire under light acceleration or trying to hold a speed at around 5-7k rpm but if I increase the engine load it’s gone straight away. It also comes and goes, sometimes will run fine for 100km or more then play up for 10km then run fine again grrr lol, it has also stalled on me half a dozen times but restarts absolutely fine doesn’t seem to be temp related as it has done this from dead cold & at operating temp. I have recently put new plugs and changed all fuel filters as they were due anyway and hasn’t changed the issue, almost feels like a complete power cut not just a single cylinder to me but just wondered if anyone has stumbled across a similar issue before, thinking possibly coils but I haven’t started to pull it apart yet to look for the issue, thought I’d run it by you guys first.

thanks,
Aaron.
Have you had the bike for the entire mileage?
What have you done to it other than regular maintenance ? Any major issues over the years?
Its quite impressive and I think thats the highest mileage we have on the ORG so far (at least from the regulars??)

Have you had the bike for the entire mileage?
What have you done to it other than regular maintenance ? Any major issues over the years?
Its quite impressive and I think thats the highest mileage we have on the ORG so far (at least from the regulars??)

Hey sorry for late reply, my dad owned it since new and didnt want to sell it so passed it onto me around 2012, apart from putting some akrapovic pipes on it everything else is bone stock.

As for maintenance oil change every 5k or 6months, I changed the thermostat around 120k just in case it decides to play up, side stand switch gave me trouble at 130k & clutch lever switch around 110k and I recently put a clutch in it maybe about 10k ago since it still had original one and didn’t like the lever position

Well apart from my issue at the moment, the only other major thing was that the old man got some bad fuel in walcha at around the 100,000km mark and due to wear in timing chain it aloud it to jump one tooth on crank, so the timing chain and tensioner were replaced, and valve clearances have also never needed adjusting, thank god lol.

I also rode it from Brisbane to Philip island last year and never missed a beat.

Hey sorry for late reply, my dad owned it since new and didnt want to sell it so passed it onto me around 2012, apart from putting some akrapovic pipes on it everything else is bone stock.

As for maintenance oil change every 5k or 6months, I changed the thermostat around 120k just in case it decides to play up, side stand switch gave me trouble at 130k & clutch lever switch around 110k and I recently put a clutch in it maybe about 10k ago since it still had original one and didn’t like the lever position

Well apart from my issue at the moment, the only other major thing was that the old man got some bad fuel in walcha at around the 100,000km mark and due to wear in timing chain it aloud it to jump one tooth on crank, so the timing chain and tensioner were replaced, and valve clearances have also never needed adjusting, thank god lol.

I also rode it from Brisbane to Philip island last year and never missed a beat.
Wow...that's amazing. Thanks so much for the report and giving me confidence to ride the greatest bike on the market;-)

I must've missed the catch up notice at the pub in Vic for some drinks :(
:poke:

@Azzaratazzah

espacially at the ´99 the fuel hoses in 99% look like the foll. pics.

massively kinked + deformed one time
P1020694.jpg

massively kinked + deformed two times
6-03%20geht%20noch%20schlimmer%20-%20zwei%20knicke.jpg

i recommend, to be save at this point, to replace both hoses to ´00 version
art.-no. : 15801 - 24 F 10 & 44433 - 24 F 00

see manual, 10 - SUPPLEMENT GSX 1300 R (Y), ´00 , pages 10-41 to 10-43

then - you wrote about 100 or 10 km distance ride - did you filled up the tank 100% and rode or was it i.e only half full?
so - is the tank ventilation ok?
does the tank cap make a hissing sound / noise when opened after a little longer ride as if the tank is "breathing in" ?
then the vent. may be clogged and your pump sucks a vacuum in the tank and in the hoses too.
this vacuum may occur earlier and earlier the more fuel you have in the tank when starting the ride.
the fuel "falls" down to the external ´99/´00 pump and with only a little negative pressure the fuel start to "gas out" / makin bubbles and bubbles can´t be pumped.
or the hoses are also kinked / bent .

Back