4 Year old Battery

Skywalker

Donating Member
Registered
Just cleaned out the garage since it's beautiful today in Colorado Springs. The battery in my 2004 Busa was bought in 05. I have no power today at all and not even a gauge movement. So, I pull the seat and put on my charger and the hand show 2 amps all the way to the left and in only about 5 minutes I get a green light on my charger that indicated full charge. Battery is still dead, I'm' sure this means time for new battery doesn't it? I seen a post the other day on Batteries Plus being a source, do they have top of the line batteries? What is the best?

4 years is very good. I usually only get 2 years.
Get a Yuasa YTZ14S or YTZ12S. Both are better than the original Busa battery.
And also invest in a battery charger.
Do a search on Yuasa, some good info on the board on batteries.

Good luck
Tony

Check the cables to make sure they are clean, also check the electrolyte level. Then leave the charger on over night, I'm assuming that your charger has a low setting...like 2 amps. Otherwise if you want to ride today...you're gonna have to buy a new battery.

Thanks for the info. The 2005 battery is a Yuasa and I guess it did last a while or better then average. I have a good charger and will do as you suggested BA. I just pulled it and the cables are clean as new. I have used the charger and other many times over the years and just never seen a dead battery pull a green light as the charger indicates fully charged unless maybe a problem. I have it on the bench in the shop and I'll put it on now overnight and see what happens. If a no go then I'll see if Batteries Plus has the Yuasa.

Sulphation? Try a battery minder/tender with de-sulphation option. This will take a week but will restore the battery to a higher capacity.

Yeah once they are dead flat it is hard to bring them back.
Even if they do come back they usually die shortly afterwards.

No need to bother... just check the electrolyte level as BA suggested and she is dry! I'll say with it totally dead and dry it's time to replace.

the 1st good cold snap zapped my 7 month olds batt. on my 07.
i'm thinking it wasn't fully charged at the stealership.
it's a yuasa. sealed.
how do you check electrolytes on a sealed batt????

it's a yuasa. sealed.

You're not supposed to - too hazardous. These 'AGM' type batteries are supposed to remain sealed for life - no need to add electrolytes.

Well, I did open the top with my pocket knife. When I bought the battery new in 05 it came with the electrolytes tubes and I filled it then. So I figured it was OK to look and I could not see any liquid in it.

it's a yuasa. sealed.

Back