4 corners, 10,000mi trip report

Safe for a few days in Vancouver Washington have a press thing at noon on the 12th. Post more tomorrow . My gooch is a little sore , and I'm tired.

Daniel is there aka Goldechiild , I'm above you in Tacoma along with Tufbusa in Olympia . I'm home by 4 oclock call if you are around

Russ (and everyone who is supporting the Ride!), here's the press release for tomorrow's press conference in the Portland, Oregon area:

Water Rescue Consortium welcomes bereaved father Russell Reddick to Clackamette Park Sept. 12 to discuss his 10,000-mile motorcycle ride to promote drowning prevention

Russ, you are doing an amazing job on the road, promoting drowning prevention and water safety awareness.

A big shout-out THANK YOU to the CLACKAMAS COUNTY WATER RESCUE CONSORTIUM (H&L Award Recipients!), including personnel from the Clackamas County Sheriff's Office, Clackamas County Fire District #1, the American Medical Response River Lifeguards, and the Oregon State Marine Board. "The Water Rescue Consortium features members of multiple local first-response agencies, all working together to enhance water rescue in Clackamas County"

Please LIKE Russ's FB page:

https://www.facebook.com/DrowningSupportNetworkCrossCountryAwareness

Thanks to everyone who is supporting this epic journey around the USA!

Nancy
Drowning Support Network

Some pics from yesterday

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I had a great rise yesterday.
I got up and enjoyed some coffee with Schoolie and was humming down 84 and into Oregon.
Greeted by sunny skys I rolled into Pendleton looking for lunch. Well I found beer, and that worked for me. A few samples and a glass and I was on my way again.
I crossed over to Washington to ride some road less filled with large trucks.
I swear I have seen the same semi with huge spike lugnuts the last 3 days. It scares me every time I see those spikes spinning next to me at 80mph.

I had misplaced my iPod in my kit when I packed at the house. Almost 3 days riding with nothing but the music. And thoughts in my head. Often my thoughts would turn to my children. The one I lost and miss so dearly, and the other that I am raising to be a good human being.
Kira used to be such a happy soul. Always waking me with a smile. She loved her daddy very much and used to write me little notes that said so. She enjoyed riding almost as much as I do. Hopping on at any reason to go for a putt.
I still remember the day we lost her. I was out at a shop by the airport, working on my 1st chopper. I got a call that I needed to go home NOW!
I got on my bike and remembering Slider Gilmore's advice e I rode at a reasonable speed home. On the way I was stopped by a train. Sitting there I had time to think what it could be..my folks in a wreck,my sister robbed , or maybe my baby girl drown at swimming lessons.
I knew what had happened before I ever got home..I was freakin Right!
My screams that day still haunt the memories of those unlucky enough to hear them.

I don't cry in my helmet as often thinking about her. Time has eased the pain and led me to try and help others that know that pain and are still trying to learn to live with it. As it never goes away, although it does change with time.

Sorry I got a little side tracked there....

The river gorge is a nice ride. I rolled along about 70, snapping shots where I could.
29mi before Stonehenge my fuel light comes on. I coast down hills, I'm nervous. Well I made it to gas. Never before have I ever put that much gas in her! Won't let that happen again.
I got into Vancouver about dark and found cousin Johnny's place. Where I will be until tomorrow morning, then its off to Portland for a press thing, then its up to Blaine Washington.

Living the dream. :)

Cheer my friend ride safe!!!!

On a side note i am sorry to hear about your daughter. I had no idea. I dont know how i had missed that. Daughters are a special blessing and you cherish them forever. My hats off to you and your ride. I follow daily.

Stayed with Brother GreaseMonkey in Arlington Wa. last night. Headed to Blaine today, and back down the Oregon coast.
All is well.

Prayers are with you for every mile you take brother! Keep the rubber side down! Looks like the weather is gonna hold out for you . Its gonna be dry here today and San Fran is dry tomorrow also so you should be good going south .

Head's up - SACRAMENTO, CA September 16, 2013 - Members of the Sacramento Drowning Accident Rescue Team (D.A.R.T.), Law Enforcement Chaplaincy Sacramento, Sacramento Metro Fire, along with Sacramento first responders, will welcome motorcycle enthusiast and water-safety advocate Russell Reddick to Sacramento by hosting a press event in Discovery Park at 11 am.

Reddick and his wife Angela tragically lost their 6 year-old daughter, Kira, in a drowning accident in 2004. In honor of his daughter, Reddick set out on a 10,000 mile journey to reach the four-corners of the continental United States by motorcycle. The journey began on September 7, 2013 in Casper, Wyoming and will continue to the following corners: Blaine, Washington; San Diego, California; Key West, Florida; and Madawaska, Maine. He will then head back home to Casper, Wyoming.

Along the way, Reddick will share his story to promote water-safety education, participate in drowning prevention events, and raise funds for the Drowning Support Network (DSN) -- an all-volunteer online peer support group. The nonprofit Higgins & Langley Memorial and Education Fund sponsors the annual Higgins & Langley Memorial Awards in Swiftwater Rescue, in addition to the DSN and other education programs.

Reddick will be available for interviews at the press event on Monday, September 16th at 11 am in Discovery Park.

DART - Sacramento Drowning Accident Rescue Team | Facebook

Last edited by a moderator:
Having minor computer troubles. Can't post pics very easy on my phone and have to type on the notepad thing.

Tonight I am in Brookings Oregon.
But let us talk about how I got here.

I was In Arlington Wa. Last time I checked in.
Well the slugs invaded my beer and I headed north to Blaine in the morning. It seemed to take forever, although it was only an hour or so before I reached Blaine.
I took a pic a the "Welcome to Blaine" sign and went to a little red caboose for breakfast and some coffie.
Beautiful view from the cafe. Sweet little town too. I talked to a nice lady that lived there and she encouraged me to go bug the local paper, s I did! Look for an article with me in it soon. They also viv a video interview they said they were going to put on their YouTube channel.
After spending way to much time in Blaine I was back down the same road I rode up on.
Good old i-5. Its a stop and go parkinglot of vehicles! I do not like I-5.
Stopped at exit 68 in Washington to get a tank of gas and donation from Brother Pig F-er (yup that's his name)
Last night I decided to make miles, or try.
I made it to Salem and got a room. 400mi, but it felt like 500.
Tody I awoken to rain. so I waited and got a late start 10am.
The rise today was nice, but it is overcast and rainy. Cold. I lived my suit all day. Brr.
I rode 9hrs pretty hard only stopping for gas and ranked off for an hour taking pics and eating clam chowder. It was all I could do to make 300 today. But I made it a point to stop early enough to get a room, rest a little, go get something to eat, so I can go to bed before 2am.
It takes me three to four hours to wind down after a days ride.

I'm really trying to enjoy this part of the trip, but it has been hard with my schedule crunch and the weather not playing nice.

Tomorrow I ride through a tree and go to Sacramento to get ready for a press event on Monday.
Tomorrow is Sunday?
1 week on the road.

:thumbs:

Wonderful ride today.

I had set my alarm for 8:30am bu that didn't work out . Lol
I snoozed until 9:30 and finally motorvAred and hit the road at 10.
Bundled up and chilly I rode through the fog and mist, until about one when I finally got some sun.
Stopped for some $16 fish and chips and checked out the lost at sea memorial. Very sad those that have lost lived ones at sea and never recovered. Never had closure. I do no. At least I do. I now where my Kira is. Some never do.
Tab dying. Gotts post before I loose it. Safe in sacreento

10,000 mile ride to promote drowning prevention :: Home was made by a supporter in Pennsylvania.

https://www.facebook.com/drowningaccidentrescueteam is hosting him today:

Press Release:

BEREAVED FATHER RUSSELL REDDICK CONTINUES 10,000 MILE JOURNEY TO RAISE FUNDS AND DROWNING PREVENTION AWARENESS

SACRAMENTO, CA September 16, 2013- Members of the Sacramento Drowning Accident Rescue Team (D.A.R.T.), Law Enforcement Chaplaincy Sacramento, Sacramento Metro Fire, along with Sacramento first responders, will welcome motorcycle enthusiast and water-safety advocate Russell Reddick to Sacramento by hosting a press event in Discovery Park at 11 am.

Reddick and his wife Angela tragically lost their 6 year-old daughter, Kira, in a drowning accident in 2004. In honor of his daughter, Reddick set out on a 10,000 mile journey to reach the four-corners of the continental United States by motorcycle. The journey began on September 7, 2013 in Casper, Wyoming and will continue to the following corners: Blaine, Washington; San Diego, California; Key West, Florida; and Madawaska, Maine. He will then head back home to Casper, Wyoming.

Along the way, Reddick will share his story to promote water-safety education, participate in drowning prevention events, and raise funds for the Drowning Support Network (DSN) -- an all-volunteer online peer support group. The nonprofit Higgins & Langley Memorial and Education Fund sponsors the annual Higgins & Langley Memorial Awards in Swiftwater Rescue, in addition to the DSN and other education programs.

Reddick will be available for interviews at the press event on Monday, September 16th at 11 am in Discovery Park.

got in north of LA tonight . safe with the founder of the DSN (Drowning Support Network) Nancy Riggs.
she is making me feel at home.
all is well.
hope for a great day and to post a bunch of pics tomorrow.

together we are strong my friends and family. :thumbs:

Back