2nd Fan mod....

A few questions..

So, the original fan is still controlled (off and on) via sensor, correct? Also, I'm assuming the manual control is for the new 2nd fan only.. Is this right?

3rd.. How is the 2nd fan wired for power?

Great write up.. Thanks for sharing..  
cool.gif

<span style='font-size:13pt;line-height:100%'></span><span style='font-family:arial'></span><div align="left">
<span style='color:darkblue'></span>
beerchug.gif
Excellent idea with the second fan but I was wondering if there was a way to tap into the existing fans relay and be able to run both of them from the same temp. switch ?[/quote]
Yep... just a question if you need a complete second power supply circuit. (can the OE relay carry both fans)

The sensor just supplies a ground to the relay and so a second relay can just be hooked up if the OE relay can not carry the load of both fans.

Seems like you would be better off switching this manually to save the load on the electrical system

Here's the way that i do this mod. Here the link to my post!Second Fan

Theres a different way to do this, on the electrical side, the way that i have done several of them, along with my own bike is you wire the 2 fans together, the oem harness needs to be taped into. The factory wirering is able to handle the as long as you swap the fan fuse from a 10amp to a 15 amp!
Ill post up the rest of my pics later this week! of the fan being installed!

Can;t wait I am looking foward to doing this mod. i just ordered my muzzy fan for the original fan and some engine ice. You guys rule
bowdown.gif
thumb_up.gif

There are several different ways to do this. you can use a gixxer fan, busa fan, or an old srad fan. The busa fan will have to be turned upside down to mount. Thats why most people use the gixxer fans....since they mount on the right side anyway. You will have to modify the mounts with any one that you use. You can wire them together or wire the second fan to a manual switch. the fuse will have to be upped to a 15 or 20 amp if you wire them together. You can also install a second temp aensor in the outlet tube of the radiator and hook the second fan to that. This way actually works best because the fan will kick on earlier. You cna also use a temp sensor from a Honda. It makes your original fan kick on earlier.

Do you realy need the second fan? Mine only gets hot at stop and go traffic in the summer and then the fan kicks on and cools it fine I may just get a fan sensor that kicks on at 160 that way in traffic it will cool a little sooner.

Used a srad fan when I did mine years ago..You could always make different legs instead of adding to Yours like done in the pic,and You wont have to worry about that bolt hitting..

DSC05043.jpg

Just got done doing my 2nd fan mod. It came out nice. Instead of going with a toggle switch I have both the fans running together, they come on more often and stay on for 10 second intervals. It sounds as if I have an AC unit hooked to the bike lol but they are working great. Glad I did it FINALLY!

My gen 1 fan kept hitting the turbo header no matter what I tried. I tried to make brackets to increase clearance but it just wasnt enough. Just as an fyi, I originally intended to replace my standard gen 1 fan with 2 gsxr1k fans to have more clearance. The tabs broke off the old radiator and I could only do one gsxr1k fan on the left side with some steel straps from Lowes, cut and grinded to make legs. It will work and keep your busa from overheating. I tested in Florida 100 degree traffic heat with full fairing on. I didnt push the envelope with Orlando type traffic in the FL afternoon (5 mins per stoplight, light at every 500m)but I did test it. Just keep that in mind if in a pinch. You can get by with 1 of those gsxr 1k fans. I found a gen 2 radiator with both fans on ebay in good shape for $100, will be installing that on my gen 1 next week. If anybody wants a pic of how I made the legs for the gen 1 radiator, let me know and I will show a pic. My radiator had a repair and I intended to replace at some point, just not this soon, lol.

Back