1st time out, nothing impressive

LCW

Registered
Made my first passes on the busa (or anything for that matter) at the drag strip tonight. Stock everything - height, tires, suspension settings, seat - ok, I cut the mudflap. Hell, I even left the tire pressure at 36/36. My brand-new leather pants made the seat feel like a slipnslide, which was distracting on the launch, other than that I had a hell of a great time. My short times suck a lot - I'm thinking the drag seat should cure some of that...

1st:

R/T: .877
60': 2.255
330: 5.416
1/8: 7.789 103.82 MPH
1000: 9.795
1/4: 11.501 132.40 MPH

2nd:

R/T: .478
60': 2.156
330: 5.286
1/8: 7.659 104.37 MPH
1000: 9.652
1/4: 11.346 133.49 MPH

3rd:

R/T: .559
60': 2.111
330: ?
1/8: 7.365 107.24
1000: 9.325
1/4: 11.009 134.22 MPH

But it was hella fun!

devil.gif

Check out some of my previous posts on improving your times!

Also, how much do you weight?

Your MPH is down, how are you shifting?

Josh
blues.gif

banner2.jpg

Check out some of my previous posts on improving your times!

Also, how much do you weight?

Your MPH is down, how are you shifting?

Josh
blues.gif
I will...

I weigh 180 in street clothes, don't know how much suited.

I was doing normal street shifts - roll off, clutching, as quick as I could. I have all the parts for a CO2 air shifter, just need to put it on. My main problem as far as I could tell was my clusterf'ked launches. Sliding on the seat, not getting to full throttle in first, etc. The CBR600 and R1 I ran against in the last two runs beat me to the 60', so that tells me my launches just plain sucked. I think putting a stepped drag seat on will help with that. It's sitting in my garage, along with a whole bunch of other mods. Just wanted to run stock once...
biggrin.gif

LCW,

Not bad for your first time out! Let me know if you have any questions?

Some pointers for your next trip out:

You need to get your weight down and forward! Practice in your garage before you go to the track. Get all the way up against the tank and sit in the tucked position. Don't LAY on the tank but put your belly on the lower part of the tank.

Also when you launch, try and squeeze together with your legs to keep you from sliding back! Your new seat will help but you still might have to do it some to keep from sliding back and causing you to wheelie!

What RPM are you launching at?

You should be holding the RPM's around 3,000-4,000 sitting on the line. Let the clutch out just enough to start to grab but NOT grabbing and stage like this. Since you have a hair before the clutch engages this will help you a lot when the light goes green.

Now hold that position until the THIRD yellow and launch on the THIRD YELLOW! Don't wait for green! By the time you see the third yellow and go it will already be green.

Now once you launch DON'T POP THE CLUTCH! Feed the clutch out slipping it just a little, keeping the RPM's NOT BELOW 4,000! You should be smooth enough with the clutch and throttle that you leave the line NOT dropping the RPM's(bogging) and not spinning the tire or wheeling! That is the perfect launch.

The main thing you want is the clutch out and full throttle as soon as possible!

Go out to a secret spot and try this a few times before you go to the track. Just remember DON't POP the clutch! You will either wheelie or spin the tire. Just be quick and smooooooooth!

Once you get this down you should 60' in the low 1.7's to high 1.6's launching correctly. Once you get that down your 330' should be around 4.3-4.4 and that should be enough to get you in the 9's ALL STOCK!

Shifting:

DO NOT USE THE CLUTCH LEVER! You may have to on the First to Second gear shift but every other gear NO CLUTCH! Keep your foot against the shift lever and when it is time, just crack the throttle for a millasecond and shift(immediatly back to FULL THROTTLE)! You can try this just riding around normally. If you do it properly you will get a butter smooth shift! Doing this I picked up almost .2-tenths and 3-4 MPH just by NOT using the clutch!
wink.gif

Also what are you shifting at?

Not all tach's read the same! My tach will actually indicate 11,200 RPM's when fuel cutoff is actually 10,850. If you already know when fuel cutoff is on your tach, you want to shift just before that point! Take the RPM's as high as you can WITHOUT hitting the REV limiter! This will get you a couple more MPH and maybe a .1 or .2 if your not already doing it.

The main thing is practice.....practice.......practice......

Have fun and be safe!

Josh
blues.gif

P.S. From the times you posted, just doing these few things you should be able to knock your times down in the 10.2's @ 138-140 MPH! With a little more pracitce you could see 10.00 or 9.9's @ 140-143MPH!
super.gif

today was wierd. first time EVER on the track without my bike... still in some pieces.

I was able to fix 2 bikes, one busa and one gixxer1k that just got built to the hilt. both had probs, and needed some tweaking. yay.
after that was fixed, did some coaching. yes, ONE HANDED COACHING.... beer in the other. my bud from Seattle on his 1398busa had a previous best of 9.14 last year. he ran a 8.86 today!!!! way to go BUSTER!~!!!!!!!

I will hit the strip next sunday, first points race for the year. with my bike, or with someone else's...... regardless, not gonna be on the sidelines.

I hope everyone else is having a good start for the year!!! see ya soon!

today was wierd. first time EVER on the track without my bike... still in some pieces.

I was able to fix 2 bikes, one busa and one gixxer1k that just got built to the hilt. both had probs, and needed some tweaking.   yay.
after that was fixed, did some coaching. yes, ONE HANDED COACHING.... beer in the other. my bud from Seattle on his 1398busa had a previous best of 9.14 last year. he ran a 8.86 today!!!!   way to go BUSTER!~!!!!!!!  

I will hit the strip next sunday, first points race for the year. with my bike, or with someone else's...... regardless, not gonna be on the sidelines.

I hope everyone else is having a good start for the year!!! see ya soon!
"... he's back in the saddle again..."
egitarre77.gif
go Chris!

The seat won't help as much as you think. Get the clutch mod, lowering links, strapped fron and extension block for the back. For around $500 BUCKS and a lot of leat time, your 60' will come way down. That is the key to faster times. I was just like you when I started, now my times are around 1.60 and 1.50 60' and I weigh 265!!. Keep practicing!!
cool.gif

The seat won't help as much as you think. Get the clutch mod, lowering links, strapped fron and extension block for the back. For around $500 BUCKS and a lot of leat time, your 60' will come way down. That is the key to faster times. I was just like you when I started, now my times are around 1.60 and 1.50 60' and I weigh 265!!. Keep practicing!!
cool.gif
It helped a little, but yeah, not as much as I thought it would. Just need to get more agressive off the line. My neighbor video taped my last run, so hopefully I'll learn something from that. Haven't seen it yet...

I have all the parts for the mods you suggest, just didn't want to put them on until I see my weaknesses with the stock bike.

devil.gif

Back