1999 Hayabusa external to internal fuel pump conversion: DONE FOR $600.00

Warp 7

Registered
Due to bad vaporlock problems, I just finished converting my '99 'Busa external fuel pump to the internal one, and I wanted to give a quick report. I sourced all of my parts from eBay and this forum, (mostly used) for about $550.00 total plus shipping. My labor was maybe 3 hours or so, with no special tools needed. The hardest part was getting the old tank off the bike without spilling too much gas on the floor or myself, even though my fuel level was fairly low at the time. I got a clean, undented 2001+ tank from eBay for $300 plus shipping, but if you do this, make sure it comes with the heat shield. I got a low mileage pump, the o-ring that seals the pump to the tank and the mounting screws, the fuel line and clips, and a pre-made "plug and play" wiring harness and a 2001+ injector rail from a fellow forum member for around $250. This wiring harness made the job very easy. If anyone is thinking about making this conversion and is interested in more details, PM me and I will be glad to share what I know.

~Warp 7~
Albuquerque, NM
1999 GSX1300R Hayabusa (Time travel is now possible)
2008 BMW R1200 GSA (Have gravel/will travel!)

I don't know if you took any pictures along the way but maybe you should do a write up and have the mods sticky the post.

Thanks for the reply SoCal...I didn't take any pics, but I would be happy to do a write-up if anyone thinks it would have merit. I just don't know how many '99s there are left out there, not to mention how many of those have not yet received this essential modification. The only reasons that my '99 didn't get this fix done sooner is that it has been living in a cool climate (Alaska) and at sea level, and it has been out of my posession for almost three years. Anyway, if anyone would like me to do a write-up, please let me know, and I will put something together.

Thanks,

~Warp 7~
Albuquerque, NM

Thanks for the reply SoCal...I didn't take any pics, but I would be happy to do a write-up if anyone thinks it would have merit. I just don't know how many '99s there are left out there, not to mention how many of those have not yet received this essential modification. The only reasons that my '99 didn't get this fix done sooner is that it has been living in a cool climate (Alaska) and at sea level, and it has been out of my posession for almost three years. Anyway, if anyone would like me to do a write-up, please let me know, and I will put something together.

Thanks,

~Warp 7~
Albuquerque, NM

This fix also applies to the 2000 models (not sure about 2001) although I haven't read much about 2000's having vapor lock issues, since it is essentially the same set up as the 99 when it comes to the fuel pump. I live in a fairly warm climate and haven't had issues with my 2000 but it doesn't mean it won't happen in the future.

Hi Ludicrous...Yes, I know there was a "petcock" on the original tank of my '99, but there was no way to grab onto the valve to rotate it to the off position...I don't know if there was once a lever and it broke off, or what, but I found that the shutoff valve was useless. :banghead:

~Warp 7~
Albuquerque, NM

Hi SoCal: I hope you don't end up having any issues with your 2000. Sherman Oaks is fairly near sea level, and that will be to your advantage, as any fluid will phase change to vapor at higher temperatures near sea level. I never had any issues with mine until I brought it to Albuquerque, which is roughly a mile above sea level where atmospheric pressure is lower, and my gas will turn to vapor at a lower temp. Add to that the temps near 80 f. right now and the extra ethanol in the fuel for winter, and I guess it was just too much. Goes to show that the first year of any motorcycle can be a crap shoot until the manufacturers get the problems ironed out. It's just too bad that by 2001 when they got this problem sorted, they also restricted the top speed. That's why I love my '99. Goos luck with yours, and if you need any help, let me know.

~Warp 7~
Albuquerque, NM

The fuel pump conversion to internal pump is an unnecessary expense. If you add one low pressure fuel pump to the system you will never have vapor lock again.

I have documented the procedure elsewhere. Total cost-- $30 for secondary fuel pump and $20 in fuel fittings.

BB

Due to bad vaporlock problems, I just finished converting my '99 'Busa external fuel pump to the internal one, and I wanted to give a quick report. I sourced all of my parts from eBay and this forum, (mostly used) for about $550.00 total plus shipping. My labor was maybe 3 hours or so, with no special tools needed. The hardest part was getting the old tank off the bike without spilling too much gas on the floor or myself, even though my fuel level was fairly low at the time. I got a clean, undented 2001+ tank from eBay for $300 plus shipping, but if you do this, make sure it comes with the heat shield. I got a low mileage pump, the o-ring that seals the pump to the tank and the mounting screws, the fuel line and clips, and a pre-made "plug and play" wiring harness and a 2001+ injector rail from a fellow forum member for around $250. This wiring harness made the job very easy. If anyone is thinking about making this conversion and is interested in more details, PM me and I will be glad to share what I know.

~Warp 7~
Albuquerque, NM

what do i do with the hose that went on to the old pump that was bolted to the engine ? .........do i just blank it off ? ( the breather valve vacuum looking thing on top off the fuel pump)

99 and 2k are the same, 01 and up have the the internal pump!

And further on this topic,, if some one rebuilds the external pump and still has problem, it Not the pump it is the fuel line's are collapsing and cause a starvation situation.

The internal tank is the way to go, if you can match the paint, the Oem parts for the External pump to do it correctly is not cost effective

i have the conversion in hand now with all i need to do the conversion , but there is one thing know one seems to have talked about .
on the old fuel pump there is a vacuum on the top with a hose that goes on to it .
Once you taken off the old pump WHAT DO YOU DO WITH THE HOSE ? ? ? as now it dont need to be connected to that vacuum as as it going to be removed with there pump as they are as one .
Now no one seems to be mentioning this ........is it cos know one has a clue ???
can any one put a simple answer to this question ?????????
hoping here some one has the answer , and i will call them a
genius!
regards
busa steve .

This fix also applies to the 2000 models (not sure about 2001) although I haven't read much about 2000's having vapor lock issues, since it is essentially the same set up as the 99 when it comes to the fuel pump. I live in a fairly warm climate and haven't had issues with my 2000 but it doesn't mean it won't happen in the future.
My issue is my 2000 isn't running right so I'm thinking about it

Hey thanks for responding...I bought this 2000 unrestricted busa...the guy told me it sat for 2 years...fuel smelled really bad...engine covers leaking...i got the bike all cleaned up cleaning out injectors oil change spark plugs and new clutch crank...bike will start up perfectly but when I hit the throttle it bogs down...and then shuts off...but if I play with the throttle it will race up to like 5k rpms...Idk wat it is...

20180502_170910.jpg

Another thing g it's been doing is the Neutral light goes in and out then when it shuts off I have to wait til the light comes back on b4 It allows me to start it...

Back