1550 miles in 23 hours on the Gen2!

jphilipson

Registered
For those of you familiar with the Iron Butt rides, I completed a Bun Burner Gold 1500 this weekend on the Gen2

Some highlights from the ride:

1551 GPS confirmed miles
5 states (CO, WY, UT, ID, NV)
9 fuel stops en route (no fuel cell)
67.8 MPH Average Speed
1.25 Million dead bugs
5 Rain Storms I missed by minutes (Yay!)
2 Hot blonds in car that wanted to race me in Twin Falls
0 Performance Awards
23 hours and 1 minute

The route:

image_map.gif

Not much of a ride report, it is mostly just hard time in the saddle. Needed to maintain an average speed (including stopped time) of 64.6 mph to make the goal of 24 hours. I managed to keep an average of 67.8, so I finished with an hour to spare.

All in all, everything went smoothly, and my mental attitude was right for the ride. Once I started I was in the zone for the next 23 hours. Started off hitting crappy I-25 traffic, but I was able to maintain speed after breaking free of the pack. Had to stop early in Cheyenne, to get a receipt for that corner of my route. Going across WY wasn't too bad, there were two sections (8 and 13 miles) of one lane road that slowed me down a tad; but was still on schedule. Utah, round one, no problems, just hit a few minutes of rain on I-84 from Echo to Ogden. Passed quickly and sailed on up into Idaho. Let me tell you, Idaho has a lot of flying bugs. And Twin Falls is full of squid packs that cruise up and down the main drag Lol. Also had two young blond girls in a car trying to get my attention at stop lights and trying to race me. Interesting town.

From Twin Falls I shot down to Wells NV on US-93. Needed to stop in both towns for fuel to get receipts for those corners as well. From Wells, I took I-80 to SLC (fuel stop), then US 6/191 down to I-70 to fuel up in Green River. From there, last fuel stop was in Glenwood Springs. Funny thing was, after crossing into UT from NV, I spent the rest of the ride dodging storms. I missed at least 5 by minutes. I-70 from Green River all the way to Grand Junction and beyond had been drenched by a big storm, but again, I was minutes behind it and did not see a single drop. Luck was on my side.

And no, did not need to use the Busa's muscle at all, speed was kept at or near all posted limits. Being stopped for a ticket would eat up more time then I could ever make up by speeding :laugh:

By the end of the ride, my Buns were a tad sore, and my shoulder was killing me. Need to get some helibars - I just have 1 inch risers now. Corbin seat w/ beaded cover was great on the butt. Knees were a bit sore as well, lowered pegs would help tons.

Bugs, lot's of bugs - the bike looked like hell by the end of the ride, and so did I :laugh:

IMG_0554.JPG

67mph average holy crap very impressive. That one of those rides i would have liked to have done but no desire to do one if you know what i mean lol great job

Wow that is one heck of a ride, no way I could make that on what my bike is currently equip'd with...nice job :beerchug::thumbsup:

That's amazing, man I love to ride but I could never accomplish that, congrats:beerchug:

Thanks all! :thumbsup:

67mph average holy crap very impressive. That one of those rides i would have liked to have done but no desire to do one if you know what i mean lol great job

And I know exactly what you mean. Need to be in the right mindset to do it.

That is great, good job. I may try something like this when I get the Russell Day Long seat (DJ style) on my busa. No way I would even attempt it until then. My ass is too skinny and I need augmented padding.

That is great, good job. I may try something like this when I get the Russell Day Long seat (DJ style) on my busa. No way I would even attempt it until then. My ass is too skinny and I need augmented padding.

Yeah, with the stock seat I'd never have done it. I have a Corbin, and use a bead cover for endurance rides like these. Russell seats are superb, that will make your butt happy :laugh:

Do you like the windscreen?

The Windscreen is pretty good. In full down position the air flow is like stock and hits me right in the chest. In full up, it's on the top of my helmet. The adjust ability is nice to have, can get a lot of air of your body when the temps drop etc.

Back