130/70-17 Tire

cosmic_ocean

Registered
Guys, has anyone tried a 130/70-17 tire for the front on their Busa? Have a friend giving away an unused one, meant for the rear on a smaller bike. Two issues here. One is whether the size will go into the Busa, with adequate space around the mudguard; another is the load rating, since it was meant for the rear on a smaller bike. My riding is mostly solo, restricted to 100 mph most of the time. Any feedback welcome...

I would look on the tire as far as load rating or look up the tire on the intranet for specs. As far as fitment I'd be guessing I believe there are two sizes on revzilla.com and I believe that is one. Like I said not totally sure.

I would look on the tire as far as load rating or look up the tire on the intranet for specs. As far as fitment I'd be guessing I believe there are two sizes on revzilla.com and I believe that is one. Like I said not totally sure.

Hmm... the size may fit, just being a few mm wider and taller. More concerned with the load capability, considering the weight of the Busa and the sheer forces which would act on braking. Don't want a blow out at speed :laugh:

Back in the day when the 16 inch front wheels first came out on street bikes (1983), there were no DOT legal race tires available for the front. We ran rears on the front but Dunlop had us reverse the rotation of the front tire. It was because the braking loads on the front were opposite of the acceleration load on the rear. He said that there could have been potential of the tire coming apart with the way the bands inside were and the way the tread was "grafted" together. Since they were bias ply tires I don't if the same rules apply to radial. We never had any problems with them and that got us over the hump until they started making race compound DOT 16 inch tires. Looked funny.
With that being said, I would not take a chance using a non approved front tire, the risk worth reward equation does pencil out.

Back in the day when the 16 inch front wheels first came out on street bikes (1983), there were no DOT legal race tires available for the front. We ran rears on the front but Dunlop had us reverse the rotation of the front tire. It was because the braking loads on the front were opposite of the acceleration load on the rear. He said that there could have been potential of the tire coming apart with the way the bands inside were and the way the tread was "grafted" together. Since they were bias ply tires I don't if the same rules apply to radial. We never had any problems with them and that got us over the hump until they started making race compound DOT 16 inch tires. Looked funny.
With that being said, I would not take a chance using a non approved front tire, the risk worth reward equation does pencil out.

Precisely put, as regards opposite forces acting on the rear and front wheels. The rear is a driver, while the front is driven. The rear needs the tread direction conducive for traction, while the front needs it for braking. Will check regarding the load rating of the tire and then take a call...

Back