00 ecm

BUDDY

Registered
does anyone know if there is any difference
between the 99 & 00 busa ecm i have a 00
and was wondering if there really is a top end limiter or is it just hype??
by the book the 00 made more hp but the
99 had more top end was this do to gearing??
and if the 00 has a top end limiter does the pc2 do away with it??

Yes there are differences. No there is not a top end limiter. The top end differences were only because of rider,weather and road differences. ANYTHING different can affect top speed numbers. Ask Jonnycheese,I think he said there were some idle differences in the maps between the two. And there sure as hell isnt a limiter on the ZX12 either. It just flat runs into a horsepower to aerodynamics wall. The Haybusa is more aerodynamic. Plane and simple.

The 99 ECU's are no longer available from Suzuki. Should you happen to find a "used" unit, I would buy/use it.

Without detailed electrical diagrams, it would be real hard to tell if something has changed within the ECU. Very few people ever get to see these (I think Yosh is the only company outside of Suzuki that does) docs.

It wouldn't be that hard to find out if the 2000 box is limited. Just put a synthetic (computer generated electrical signals) load on the box and watch the ignition and fuel outputs. Make sure the gear pos sensor reads 6th, rpm reads 10800, and the Intake Air Pressure sensor reads whatever it's supposed to at 200mph (like 1 psi). How would the box know it's not moving? What could it do to limit the bike other than ignition or fuel? Compare 2000 to 1999 and you've got the answer set in stone, no arguing, no operator error.
Anyone got the hardware to do this?

That's a very good idea. You would need a resistance substitution box or three to provide the false sensor inputs (TPS, IAP and Gear Position). The shop manual should tell us the max output value of the IAP sensor. A frequency generator is needed to do the RPM input.

I'm guessing that the output of the ecm is injector pulse duration. We would have to figure out, and measure the pulse duration at 200 mph. Measurement of the duration could be done with a Fluke Scopemeter.

In short we need to simulate 6th gear, max IAP, max TPS, RPM 10,700. What else?

The key issue here is; what should the injector pulse duration be at redline in 6th?
assuming no restriction.

If I get a rainy day when I can't ride, I may give it a try.

To answer your original question, the only known fact is that they are different part numbers, by 1 low order digit. The feeling that most of us have is that very subtle changes were made to the fuel maps and ignition timing as a result of experience with the '99's.

What "book" says they have different horsepower? Not the Suzi brochures & spex that I saw.

[This message has been edited by Lyle (edited 06 July 2000).]

The more I think about this ...

Instead of injector duration there is also ignition output. Measure one plug input wire for simple pulse rate. In 6th we should see 10.700/4 or a pulse rate of 2675/min to prove that it's unrestricted.

Does that make sense to the real engineers out there?

If this works with my ECM I'm going to need a 12 'er to volunteer.

Does anybody have a wreck? I need the ECM connector and a bit of the attached wiring harness to accomplish this test.

Obviously I'm interested in this question. I need the connector to do the test. Anyone?

Back