High side, low side???

Low side- Laying bike down in direction of lean

High side (not fun) when you are launched from the seat to the opposite of bike's lean.

Yup, Low side Generally equals bike simply sliding fairly painlessly out from under you in a corner. You can usually walk away.

Highside? Usually a Highside starts as a lowside slide, BUT the bike's tires catch before you fall into the lowside, they grip tight, stopping your forward motion as they are now pointing the wrong way given your forward motion. The suspension compresses to the stops, then violently launches you over the bikes centerpoint sometimes in spectactular fashion sending you sailing high into the air and crashing back down, only to then possibly get ran over by the bike that is now behind you waiting to drive you into the asphalt like a fuggin peg.

If you watch some motorcycle racing/crashes. The bikes that look like the guy just laid the bike down in the corner is a low-side.

When the bike kicks from side to side then the rider is thrown flying in the air and the bike goes twisting and flipping over is a high-side.

I've both lowsided and highsided my pocketbike going 30-40 mph and I will take a lowside 100 times more than 1 highside... man a highside at 35 mph from about 24" from the ground almost had me hurting for a week.
laugh.gif

you can also think about it in medication terms.

Lowside = Antidepressants to calm your nerves as you think of the damage to your bike.

Highside = Morphine Drip aka lala-land...

low sides dont' hurt that bad unless you find something to stop you before momentem really wanted you too.. IE.. a tree/guardrail/car/curb

high side... gravity also gets into the game and gaurantees that you are going to hit something at speed. IE pavement.. if your lucky.. if your not.. i again refer to the tree/guardrail/car/curb scenario.

low sides dont' hurt.... assumes you in full leathers and don't do too much flopping while your coming to a complete stop.

I've never highsided.. but uhh.. i've seen enough of them to know that experience is not necessary is knowing that I don't want to do it.

Lowsiding... done that.. was on my feet before the bike even stopped sliding. not on purpose.. inertia just kinda rolled me over and tossed me up in the air and i landed on my feet and came to a running stop. This was at low speeds though.. for faster speeds just replay that scene from beavis and butt head do america where beavis jump outta the trunk and attempts to "just run real fast as soon as you hit the ground" to determine the effects of that particular move.

just don't do either.. riding is more fun when your not crashing.

Yup, Low side Generally equals bike simply sliding  fairly painlessly out from under you in a corner.  You can usually walk away.

Highside?  Usually a Highside starts as a lowside slide, BUT the bike's tires catch before you fall into the lowside, they grip tight, stopping your forward motion as they are now pointing the wrong way given your forward motion.  The suspension compresses to the stops, then violently launches you over the bikes centerpoint sometimes in spectactular fashion sending you sailing high into the air and crashing back down, only to then possibly get ran over by the bike that is now behind you waiting to drive you into the asphalt like a fuggin peg.
Rev, you sound like you speak from experience.

Back