Things you've learned over time

roached

Registered
I do allot of commuting on I-95, about 130 a day. I have seen allot, missed allot and been down twice. Over the years I have developed some ideas to help reduce my risk....

1.) placement on the road, I ride either the inside or outside lanes, never the center. This gives me the shoulder on either side if someone decides they need to be where I am physically located. I generally ride the outside line as well to give me a little cusion if somebody darts out into my lane (happens allot when your riding the carpool lane). If traffic is light I try to keep from having anyone beside me period.

2.) can you see through the vehicle in front of you?, I never hang behind trucks or any vehicle I cant see through, pretty simple if you cant see down the road the only thing indicating an issue to you is the brakelights of the brick in front of you.

3.) is they guy next to you admiring your bike? Feels cool doesnt it all that attention is great, well guess what if hes looking at you, your about to be creamed when he realizes the car in front of him has stopped and your the path of least resistance....if a guy is looking at you in traffic get the hell away from him (collar bone and ankle to prove this observation is correct).

4.) oh great the light just turned green I dont have to stop.....a fresh green light is very dangerous!, if it just turned green for you it just turned red for the others, if somone is running this is when they will cross into traffic...use caution especially in light traffic conditions.

5.) know your bike, I have a chopper, a triumph, a zl900 a cbr and now a busa...they all react differently to a panic stop. Remarkably though they all do the same thing the same way every time. Know your bike and know what it will do when when you grab it and grab it hard. Practice hard stops often.

6.) maintain your bike. As simple as it sounds a good cleaning each weekend may save your butt. Wash your bike, look for leaks ect. Then completely dry your bike, running your hands and eyes over things can alert you to issues you hadnt noticed. Amazing how many loose fasteners I have found over the years during a good dry down.

7.) ride like you have no brakes and everyone is out to get you....oh and have fun (-:

curious to see what techniques you guys have learned over the years

Last edited:
:beerchug::beerchug:
very good.... goes a long ways to surviving the roads...

"Just cause the crash was not your fault does not mean you could not have avoided it"

Good practices.:thumbsup:

I also ride like they can't see me, BUT I always put their face in their mirrors, simple fact of mirrors, if you can see them - They can see you.
2cts
Bubba

steer clear of dump trucks (flying rocks) and tractor trailers (retreads). I used to have a 220mile commute everyday. You really learn to see all the details around you when you stay focused.

Nice writeup :beerchug::thumbsup:

Oh and in case you are a real bone head...
DONT DO THIS!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Guy at work is always bragging how he'll kick back and put his feet up on the bars or hop back on the b**** seat and ride. F'n moron.

Don't just put yourself in their mirror, watch what they are doing in their mirror. If they keep looking at the lane you are in, they are planning on moving into it.

Watch the front tire of vehices waiting to cross your lane. You will notice the front tire move a fraction of a second before the rest of the vehicle. That fraction of a second could be the difference between missing them and becoming a statistic.

At intersections position yourself to cross with another vehicle.

Left turning vehicles will turn in front of you, have an excape route.

Expect the unexpected; Ride like your invisible; Dress for the crash and not the ride are a few that come to mind.

I saw some kid on a 6er a couple weeks ago here on the 5 south getting beat up by the wind and texting while riding....i honked at him...just to try and make him ride:stoopid: and be safe and he flipped me off... until he saw my busa sticker in the back...then he gave me a thumbs up and kept trying to use his phone....incredible...

Back