New rider Needs new gear

Cisco2238

Registered
Hey guys sup I am a fairly new Busa rider and I smile a lot now. I need to purchase some riding gear but just not too sure what to buy. I have looked at some joe rocket jackets that have remove able liners and they seem to have lots of breathing ports. I have heard to dress for the slide not the ride but it gets very hot and humid here. Any suggestions you can give the newbie would be greatly appreciated. also are there any other Busa riders here from south Louisiana?

Any of the brand name jackets will provide protection, go with the one that fits you best in the riding position.
Also I have owned both mesh and leather jackets and for me it seems the leather is cooler on the really hot humid days we have here in Nebraska.

For pants I wear Sliders kevlar armored jeans.

Gloves get a good quality cuff style glove that is comfortable with your hands on the bars. (gloves which are comfortable with an open hand may be miserable on the bike)

Any brand name full face helmet that fits snugly while being comfortable is what you want.

For boots always wear at minimum a over the ankle leather boot. I wear Aerostitch touring boots.

Good gear will make your ride more comfortable while providing protection in the event of a crash.

For hot weather, I wear perforated leather jacket and gloves (kevlar jeans and above ankle boots always). For REALLY hot days, I go with armored textile mesh plus a cooling vest underneath.

Here in Florida we get a few warm days, I have a First Gear Mesh jacket that works most of the time. When it's 98 to 105 there's nothing that will help. I just keep reminding myself that road rash is even more uncomfortable than too warm......

I thought about getting kevlar pants, then I searched google images for "kevlar jeans after crash".

I've decided to wear a full riding suit all of the time. Since I'm too cheap to get an aerostich, I wear a Tourmaster Centurion and it's actually a great suit. I ride in AK, so hot weather isn't much of a problem, usually, but I rode in Las Vegas before herer, and a full riding suit wasn't bad there either with the vents open and a pre-ride soaking :D. There's enough ventilation in cool and low humidity to keep you cool, I don't know about the humidity in the south.

Still, riding jeans are better than nothing, but don't think that they won't rip open and save you from road rash. They can rip open, you may get road rash, but they're a heckuva lot better than denim!

you just spent thousands on a bike. spend a grand on gear for yourself.
get some good boots, gloves, chaps or riding pants, a GOOD helmet, not some $100 junker, and a good leather or textile armored jacket.
try on everything.
wear as much gear as your ego allows!

For warm rides (Florida here), I have a light weight textile armored Hayabusa jacket that they through in with my bike purchase. Great jacket for mild or hot temps.
Troy

I wear dainese Leather jacket "RACING D1 PELLE ESTIVO" , the pants, "DELTA PRO C2 PELLE" to match and a set of dainese gloves, "FULL METAL D1" that go over the wrist. For boots I chose the Sidi Vertigo
I feel super safe ever time I go out! I had a rocket jacket before all this and in comparison to just the jacket, the dainese is much more lighter and comfortable

I was about to post the same thing. What do you guys recommend for boots? Out here in TX I've always ridden wth cowboy boots. Would yall reckon that those are fine, or should I get some armored boots?

I was about to post the same thing. What do you guys recommend for boots? Out here in TX I've always ridden wth cowboy boots. Would yall reckon that those are fine, or should I get some armored boots?

Personally.. I save the boots for last. You don't really need to get armored boots unless you're planning on doing serious riding.. don't waste the $. Invest in a good jacket and call it a day. https://www.motorcyclehouse.com/new-motorcycle-gear // note i've never owned any boots but my shoes have held up just fine.

I live in Arizona, not very humid but extremely dry heat. I personally wear this ICON jacket. http://www.rideicon.com/products/?productGroupId=132336 = It keeps me fairly cool even in traffic. But what really helps me is wearing an "underarmor" like shirt and shorts underneath whatever I wear. This will help keep the sweating from the heat and humidity to a minimum and let you ride longer without feeling like your in a sauna.

Great to see another ragin Cajun on the forum!! I have had some Joe Rocket stuff and I found it to be ehhh ok. I mostly have Alpinestars. I have a one piece race suit. jacket and gloves. I would suggest to go with the very best quality you can afford to get that meets your needs. My Alpinestars jacket is part leather and part mesh. Its my go to summer riding jacket. Ive had it for several years and its still perfect. Its an smx-1 I think. It was around $750 I think when I got it in 07. They have since replaced it with other versions. Everything I have is perforated though and that helps a lot. My gloves are Alpinestars motogp gloves and they are fantastic. I had a pair of Held Phantoms before these that lasted about 8 years. As for boots I only go with Sidi. My first pair was the vertigo air. they were perforated. Great boot. saved my leg from breaking when I crashed and the bike flipped up in the air and landed on my leg right on the boot. I just bought a pair of vortice boots and they are on the way to me now. Anyway my experience with brands have lead me to Sidi, Apinestars, and Held.
and for helmets Shoei and Aria.

Back