Found out why some used bikes have such low mileage

street racer

Donating Member
Registered
A friend of my wifes had us over for dinner last night to meet her new boyfriend. The guy knew I was a biker and he told me that he had a bike also. I said cool, what are ya riding. He said a 2006 Honda VTX1300R that he bought brand new. It was his first street bike and he took a safety course to learn how to ride it properly. I asked how many miles were on it and he hesitantly said "almost 100". I about fainted. A 2 almost 3 year old bike with under 100 miles on it. Then he admitted that the bike was just too much for him and he was afraid of it. I suggested he trade it in for a 750cc or even a 600cc cruiser that might be a better ride for him. Can you believe that mileage ??

Some people like the idea and image but can't get past their fear. Driving a cage at anything over the speed limit is something beyond belief to them as well. Lots of people are just overly fearful. Maybe the guy is a little traumatized and just can't come to a healthy riding style.

Was he 8 yrs old, I rode my buddies 2007 VTX a couple weeks back and I thought I was going to fall asleep, I will admit if I were going to get a cruiser I think I would get the VTX C class ( think its C ) Nice looking bike. But looks is all it has.

ok, I had an 05 vtx1300c and for the money i don't think you can beat them. they handle good and they have a pretty good ride. naturally the power isn't great but it's a cruiser. I traded mine for the busa because i was holding my son and wife back. oh, I REALLY LIKE THE BUSA BETTER. When i said you can't beat them i mean't if you want a cruiser they are slick.

Wonder what the original motivation to "learn to ride a motorcycle" was for him. Sounds almost like something he never wanted to do in the first place
If he still actually wants to ride it, you might suggest he take the MSF course again. Sometimes things "take" better on the second time around. And now that he has a bike, if he finishes the course and heads straight out on the VTX, he may not be as intimidated.
If "D. None of the above" then it shouldn't be hard to sell it with almost no miles on it.

His heart is not in it. I would urge him to sell it. I doubt he will ever be safe on the road on it. ???

This is the paramedic comming out in me here but:

I would much rather him admit he is scared of it and taking his time in learning to ride the bike , then go out and wack the throttle and end up as a dent in the side of someones car..

That being said, when the OCC and all the chopper shows started on TV a while back motorcycle crashes went up 100% around here.. We would run a average of 2 or 3 a week prior, and most of them were people on sport bikes. It wento t 2 or 3 a day and 80% we on big choppers and cruisers..

Some people like the idea and image but can't get past their fear. Driving a cage at anything over the speed limit is something beyond belief to them as well. Lots of people are just overly fearful. Maybe the guy is a little traumatized and just can't come to a healthy riding style.

BOY do I know what you mean ????......I hate slowing down to freeway speeds, but it's a must-do out of respect for NHP that allows us so much freedom out-of-bounds.... :oldcool:

I bought my '03 Busa in late '07 with 357 miles..... I can understand the Busa, especially since the previous owner had many bikes and cars to play with. But a VTX?? Ehh...

This thread has got my to thinking,, I have not taken the Bonneville out in over 5 months, so looks like the r-6 is staying home today and the Triumph is going to take me on my ride. Where will I go, what will I see, what adventures will I get in? We will just have to wait and see.

A guy at work bought a 750 cruiser and could not ride. Sold it a year later to a co-worker with 107 miles on it. And his wife put the first 101 miles on it. H rode it for 6 miles.

Back