Russian Nuclear sub accident

As a former submariner, I find this report particularly devastating.

I remember a line from the "Welcome Aboard" letter which all crew members were given when reporting aboard. It went...

"Each of our lives rests only in the hands of each other...for we travel deep and fast in an unforgiving sea."

Still makes me shudder.

Rest in peace, fellow sailors.

sad news... but still worry why Russia is starting this armament contest again..

I have this feeling it is a bit of a propaganda program so that big military business can keep sucking up billions so some fat azz can sit in his house on a cliff in Malibu....

I thought the cold war was over and we built McDonald's all over their country.
Maybe they are mad about the increase in obesity.

the problem with the soviets is their basic design philosophy. They do not spend enough time and money on crew safety.
Their tendency is to shortcut safety and spend more on weapon systems.
Sad they do not value their military personal.
They were highly criticized by the Russian people (families) when they lied about the Kirsk tragedy. They refused help until it was too late to save the crew.

Akula 2 is an attack sub. A highly capable one at that. It was a halon sort of system. The Kursk was quiet to the public for several reasons but not the right ones in my opinion. I've had the unfortunate privelage of listening to the tapes that were recorded when she went down. (active duty submariner/ Sonar Technician)

the problem with the soviets is their basic design philosophy. They do not spend enough time and money on crew safety.
Their tendency is to shortcut safety and spend more on weapon systems.
Sad they do not value their military personal.
They were highly criticized by the Russian people (families) when they lied about the Kirsk tragedy. They refused help until it was too late to save the crew.

I dont know that i agree with that. They're Oscar class subs are double hulled and have hot tubs in them. Might not be safe, but it sure speaks "we care" if you ask me.:thumbsup:

I dont know that i agree with that. They're Oscar class subs are double hulled and have hot tubs in them. Might not be safe, but it sure speaks "we care" if you ask me.:thumbsup:

I stand corrected, I don't think we have hot tubs for our sailors.

All Russian young men must spend one to two years performing either military service (военная служба) or alternative service (альтернативная служба). Military service is notoriously dangerous and often deadly. Unfortunately, it is very difficult to get permission for alternative service so that avoiding the draft becomes a family affair: the family emigrates, or pays a large bribe; thousands of young men hide from the authorities, becoming deserters (дезертиры).

The first-year in the life of a private soldier (рядовой) is made miserable by a vicious form of hazing (дедовщина) where soldiers in the last half of their service (деды) are allowed mercilessly to abuse or "haze" him (издеваться над ним). There is little chance of getting much leave (отпуск). If he can't stand it he may want to go AWOL (уйти в самоволку) and become a "deserter" (дезертир) for which he is likely to get punished (попасть на гауптвахту, «на губу»). Young men know what is coming, as do their parents, and so many do anything they can to avoid service. As a result all branches have difficulty filling units (комплектование). Upon completion of service, a soldier goes back to being a civilian.

taken from here.

A Russian Military Life

Last edited:
Back