Laid off after 24 years

Big O

Physicist Genii
Donating Member
Registered
Due to a reduction in workforce your position has been eliminated.
I worked for a major metropolitan newspaper in Los Angeles in the pressroom supervising 6 7 man crews printing the paper on the night shift.
So now I have to find a real job. I'm still technically employed until Dec 19th and get a job til then. The separation package could be worked out so I get paid up to 40 weeks but it comes out of my retirement plan. I haven't been happy at that job for a long time, too much BS. I'll find something but it won't be easy in this economy. I have a placement assistance seminar to attend this week. Wish me luck, every job I've looked at that I'm qualified to do pays 1/2 of what I was making.

Been there. The place I worked at for 20 years closed its doors back in 04. I still haven't found a job that I like or paid as much. But as they say. I feel lucky to have a job.

That sucks. Best of luck to you.

They say everything happens for a reason so if you weren't happy maybe this is your opportunity to find a job that makes you happy.:beerchug:

It's a tough economy. Hopefully you have a good retirement package. Good luck, I'm sure you'll find another. If it doesn't pay as much, be sure you are happy...

Dang, bro. Hope you find something quick. Move out here. :D

--Wag--

Sorry to hear this. I had heard the Times was laying off due to circulation issues.

r8

Due to a reduction in workforce your position has been eliminated.
I worked for a major metropolitan newspaper in Los Angeles in the pressroom supervising 6 7 man crews printing the paper on the night shift.
So now I have to find a real job. I'm still technically employed until Dec 19th and get a job til then. The separation package could be worked out so I get paid up to 40 weeks but it comes out of my retirement plan. I haven't been happy at that job for a long time, too much BS. I'll find something but it won't be easy in this economy. I have a placement assistance seminar to attend this week. Wish me luck, every job I've looked at that I'm qualified to do pays 1/2 of what I was making.

Sorry to hear that. I wish the best for you
Posted via Mobile Device

This might be the best Kick in the ass to ever happen. With that type of separation agreement you could train for an entirely new career. Good luck with whatever you decide.

that really sucks to hear Owen! I hope you find much luck getting something that'll be right for you. Send Cris my regards too. I'm sure things will turn out just fine. :beerchug:

:hug: This too shall pass!!! Like so many have said before, this could be a great opportunity for you!!!

Sorry to hear it Owen. Best of luck to you in finding some thing soon.

Back