What to do with my life? And other issues. Just venting.

Busaman5000

Donating Member
Registered
Ever feel like your lost? Like you don't know what to do? Im 27 years old and have been working the same boring job for 8 years. I guess I should be grateful. It pays well, lots of vacation, its easy, great benefits, but it doesn't interest me in the slightest. There are lots of people that would LOVE to have my job. So why do I feel so unhappy and unfulfilled?

I had all these "plans" when I was younger. But none have come to be. Its my own fault I know. I simply lack the motivation. I guess that's the difference between the winners and losers of this world. Its the motivation to get the things done to help you achieve your dreams. Am I a loser? Im still young enough to achieve my goals. But I am running out of time.

I have a house, motorcycles, a truck that's paid for and LOTS of toys. I get to do what ever I want to with in reason. Yet I feel as though I have nothing.

I have become so materialistic over the years it depresses me to think about it. Yet I want more. Its like an addiction. I am addicted to shopping. It makes me feel better for that moment. But I can't keep up. My wallet can't keep up. The more I make, the deeper I get into debt. Why? How? 7 years ago I lived fine on half of what I was making now. Yet my bills really haven't went up all that much.

I moved up here 7 years ago with my job. They gave myself and others $10,000 to move up here. I was going to just stay the year so I could keep the money and move back to GA. 7 years later here I am. I hate being away from all my family in GA. I have a few friends up here. A few really close friends. But I miss getting to see my family.

I think I want to do something. Maybe volunteer for something. I would like to help other people. I'm not sure doing what. But then there's that motivation thing again. sigh...

Sorry, I don't mean to sound like a whiner but who ever took the time to read this, thanks for listening.

Last edited:
been there myself, but not bored with work... wait until you realize that tomorrow is your 12th wedding aniversary...
" A man is in his leaving room at 4 am crying, so uncontrolable that wakes up his wife, she goes downstairs to see what's going on....
wife: What's wrong?
husband: you remember when your father cought us folling around in your bedroom?
wife: Yes why?
husband: you remember what he said to me that night?
wife: not really
Husband: He told me with shotgun in had-- you either marry her or go to jail for 20 years.
wife: SO
HUSBAND: I WOULD HAVE BEEN OUT TODAY

You my friend have grown stagnant. You need a challenge in your life. Not a change in you job status. If you would change your Job,eventually you will end up in same boat. However that really depends on your goals.

You said you have plenty of vacation time,yet you also claim to not being able to see your family enough? Can't they come to see you also? even if you foot the bill. Happiness in this area is Pricle$$!

Almost everyone doesn't achieve their goals in life. So no need beating yourself up about it. Don't stop trying,but don't let yourself down for not being there right now.

Good Luck!

been there myself, but not bored with work... wait until you realize that tomorrow is your 12th wedding aniversary...
" A man is in his leaving room at 4 am crying, so uncontrolable that wakes up his wife, she goes downstairs to see what's going on....
wife: What's wrong?
husband: you remember when your father cought us folling around in your bedroom?
wife: Yes why?
husband: you remember what he said to me that night?
wife: not really
Husband: He told me with shotgun in had-- you either marry her or go to jail for 20 years.
wife: SO
HUSBAND: I WOULD HAVE BEEN OUT TODAY
:laugh:

You my friend have grown stagnant. You need a challenge in your life. Not a change in you job status. If you would change your Job,eventually you will end up in same boat. However that really depends on your goals.

You said you have plenty of vacation time,yet you also claim to not being able to see your family enough? Can't they come to see you also? even if you foot the bill. Happiness in this area is Pricle$$!

Almost everyone doesn't achieve their goals in life. So no need beating yourself up about it. Don't stop trying,but don't let yourself down for not being there right now.

Good Luck!

Well I do use my vacation to see my family sometimes. There really not that far away. Its just that I can't just go and see my mom, dad, brother, grand parents when ever I wish. I get tired of the drive and gas is to much. And if I make it a weekend end thing, I don't even get to see everybody that I want to as long as I would like before I have to come back to work.

I don't know though, the real issue here is im just stagnant like you say. Im bored with the way things are right now. I need a challenge.

I have a house, motorcycles, a truck that's paid for and LOTS of toys. I get to do what ever I want to with in reason. Yet I feel as though I have nothing.

You've just described what is wrong with American (and other first world nations) society and why the world is now facing financial crisis.

The mindless pursuit of material possessions will never bring happiness, because no matter how much "stuff" you accumulate it will never be enough.

Helping others worse off than yourself is where it is at :thumbsup: Good luck.

You've just described what is wrong with American (and other first world nations) society and why the world is now facing financial crisis.

The mindless pursuit of material possessions will never bring happiness, because no matter how much "stuff" you accumulate it will never be enough.

Helping others worse off than yourself is where it is at :thumbsup: Good luck.

You got that right. Although technically I am helping the CEO's of Honda and Suzuki and others get richer. But somehow that's not a very satisfying feeling. lol

Even know im sure Mr. Honda and Mr. Suzuki and nice people.

Ever thought about getting certified to teach others to ride safely? I'll bet there is an MSF Training Course available near where you live. By getting certified to teach you are able to share ssomething you really enjoy with people just learing to ride. I find that very rewarding.

Made that same mistake. Stayed in the same job for 14 years and stagnated. Actually, stayed in the same career for 20 years and have stagnated. Don't get me wrong, I've never hated a job and never hated my career. I'm good at what I do and I do it well. Make a decent living at it.

But now it's time for a change. But I don't know what to do. I'm in the process of evaluating and making the changes. At 43, it's not exactly the easiest thing to do. You have to decide how to maintain your income while you're making the switch and how to keep from getting into hock as a result of it.

I think you're critical point is to make some decisions and write down what you need to do. Get out of debt. Nothing feels better than knowing that nobody can come and take anything away from you. If you have to tell some stories, do it. Have discipline and get it rolling and you'll be surprised what you can do. If you want it you can make it happen.

--Wag--

Busa and Wag both if your Avitars are your actual siginificat others I do not want to hear any fussing out of either of you. :laugh:

I think I want to do something. Maybe volunteer for something. I would like to help other people. I'm not sure doing what. But then there's that motivation thing again. sigh...

"Easier said than done, but EASIER DONE WHEN STARTED."

"Don't tell me what you are going to do, SHOW ME WHAT YOU DID."

Sounds like you figured something out in the quote above. Make a small list, of how to make it happen, then do it. :)

Ever feel like your lost? Like you don't know what to do? Im 27 years old and have been working the same boring job for 8 years. I guess I should be grateful. It pays well, lots of vacation, its easy, great benefits, but it doesn't interest me in the slightest. There are lots of people that would LOVE to have my job. So why do I feel so unhappy and unfulfilled?

I had all these "plans" when I was younger. But none have come to be. Its my own fault I know. I simply lack the motivation. I guess that's the difference between the winners and losers of this world. Its the motivation to get the things done to help you achieve your dreams. Am I a loser? Im still young enough to achieve my goals. But I am running out of time.

I have become so materialistic over the years it depresses me to think about it. Yet I want more. Its like an addiction. I am addicted to shopping. It makes me feel better for that moment. But I can't keep up. My wallet can't keep up. The more I make, the deeper I get into debt. Why? How? 7 years ago I lived fine on half of what I was making now. Yet my bills really haven't went up all that much.

I moved up here 7 years ago with my job. They gave myself and others $10,000 to move up here. I was going to just stay the year so I could keep the money and move back to GA. 7 years later here I am. I hate being away from all my family in GA. I have a few friends up here. A few really close friends. But I miss getting to see my family.

Sorry, I don't mean to sound like a whiner but who ever took the time to read this, thanks for listening.

I'm right there with you, but have been at it a little longer. I have enough time wrapped up in this place that it would be foolish to make a drastic change now, but I hate being stuck in this state. I have lived here most of my life, but hate what it has become. My job is also repetetive and boring, but I could deal with it if I were working it in a more desirable location. I actually like what I do, but need some fresh surroundings.

Wish I could find the answers also, hang in there.

Last edited:
Man you can't be that far from home, and you got a bike to get there. By the way 27 is not old. Start worrying about accomplishments at 57 my friend.

What is stopping you from doing anything? In my case it would be having 2 sons both within 2 years of starting school. So for me I push on to make sure they are good to go. If you have no kids or responsibilities except to yourself then the only thing stopping you is you. There is no rule that says you have to live like everyone else. It seems from reading a couple of the posts, living like everyone else is pretty much a drag. Decide what you really need and get rid of everything else if you can. Seriously when I think of everything i own and then ask myself what would I really miss if my house burned down the list is really pretty short.

Take that list and start over. Don't be trapped into thinking you have to be what someone else thinks you should be.

Be all you can be - I'm sure an Army Recruiter would like to talk to you!

Lose your job, and worry about where you'll get the money to pay for the mortgage/rent, billls etc...Do that for a few months and then you will see your boring job and other things that have fallen out of perspective as gold. Wistful words of wisdom.

Wow, your thread really hits home with me. I have worked hard to accumulate "things". Mutliple homes, cars, toys, etc.... When I moved to this state it all hit home about how material things mean nothing. This area (Vegas) has to be the most materialistic I have ever lived in. The depression starting growing deep within me and at times I felt it was going to kill me.

I woke up one morning asking myself, Why do I need all this "stuff"? I made the conscious decision to do something about it. I started working towards a different goal. At the end of this year I will be walking away from a HUGE salary and moving out of this state. I will start my own business. It will still require hard work and long hours, but it will be for the benefit of me, my family and my employees.

No longer will my toys have to be the newest, baddest or fastest. I will live to spend time with my family and create the bonds that will last long after the material items break, are broken or are sold.

I am 44yo. If it not to late for me then it is definietly not to late for you. PM me anytime you want to talk about it.

Be all you can be - I'm sure an Army Recruiter would like to talk to you!

I thought about the Army, airforce actually. But I don't think thats for me im not exactly the physical type. I don't think I could make it though basic training. lol

Lose your job, and worry about where you'll get the money to pay for the mortgage/rent, billls etc...Do that for a few months and then you will see your boring job and other things that have fallen out of perspective as gold. Wistful words of wisdom.

+1, I feel Very lucky to what I own and have, Great Girl, Nice House Car Motorcycle Etc. You have to remember TWO important things in LIFE.
HEALTH and HAPPINESS and the rest will follow.

just had a Close friend Kill himself still VERY UPSETabout it. That put things in perceive so enjoy WHAT you have NOT what you WANT.
Loomis.

.I kind of feel the same way (job-wise) as you. Are you dating anyone? If not, then maybe finding a real girlfriend will help. Someone that will be there WITH you. And as far as volunteering, think about the vol. fire dept. Those guys seem to have alot of fun and really enjoy helping others. Plenty of training that is usefull in all aspects of life, and they really help you with self discipline.
Just an idea... Good luck man. I hope ya get things straight. If ya need to talk give me a shout!

Back