SSD anyone played with one yet?

I think we bought a Dell laptop with one in it. I hear it boots in a couple seconds. Didn't get to see it myself

No but ive been wanting to get one. I heard it was a pain to get windows installed on one. Is that true?

No but ive been wanting to get one. I heard it was a pain to get windows installed on one. Is that true?
no idea... I know you can buy a Mac already setup (only another $1000)

The speed is pretty impressive and figured it must come off the starting line like a top fueler.. cold boot to ready in a few seconds?

Asus has put a Linux OS on a chip like this and it is 5 seconds to ready from "off"

I think the IT dept needs one to check it out... :whistle:

Well I have had the opportunity to watch one in action. Havent gotten to fiddle with it though. :(

With Windows 2008 Server installed the server literally boots in 8-10 seconds. extremely fast for finding information on the drive which makes it faster than SATA or IDE. larger files however transfer slower. by larger I mean 1GB or more, that is what we got to see anyways.

Sorry I cant give more thoughts on the drives.

I will be purchasing one here in the near future.

Well I have had the opportunity to watch one in action. Havent gotten to fiddle with it though. :(

With Windows 2008 Server installed the server literally boots in 8-10 seconds. extremely fast for finding information on the drive which makes it faster than SATA or IDE. larger files however transfer slower. by larger I mean 1GB or more, that is what we got to see anyways.

Sorry I cant give more thoughts on the drives.

I will be purchasing one here in the near future.
And it is going to be larger I guess... I think 08 wants 100G partition..

Mr. Biscuit,

Partition size doesnt matter the SSD drive has an unreal crazy fast seek time. The problem is the xfer speeds.

Sata II = 3Gb/s

SSD = 170MB/s

So if you are xfering files over 1GB then get a SATA II if you are xfering smaller files SSD is the way to go... the seek speed makes up for the xfer rate on files smaller than 1GB.

The file size is an estimate of the size of file that will take longer to xfer on the SSD than a Sata II drive. I do not know the exact size where the Sata II becomes a better choice.

Back