The FLOOD

ditchdr

Registered
First a little back ground as to why I ma so stressed..

I live in a 3 story condo that is part of a 4 unit building.. I own all but 1 of them. The way they are set up is on mine is on the far right if looking from the front. I have added a much larger garage to mine (from a 1 car to 3 car) with balcony above the adition that is right off out living room.. The bottom floor is the garage, and a single room that is 10X10 or so that is my office as well as the play room for Jake.. It has 2 layers of padding under the carpet so Jake does not split his head open when he falls.

Now being my unit is on the end it is every so slightly down hill from the other 3. Nomaly not a big deal,,, Till now.

I awaken Friday to a monsoon going on, no big deal we have been told it is going to rain today.. I go to the garage/shop and go about my normal stuff, fix this invoice that, order this and so on... I shut the doors at 4pm and head up stairs to help the wife get the spare bed room ready cause her parents were coming for a visit..

The skys dumped rain all night. I watched the news and we had over 6 inches of rain since noon with more comming. I walk out to smoke a cig before I go to bed and notice our street is flooded, like knee deep flooded. Not a big deal to me cause the complex is uphill from the street.. Go to bed and dream about Busas, and candy canes.

Next moring I am awakend at 7am by a knock at the front door, its my in laws.. Since our front door is on the second level of our house I did not go all the way down stairs.

Dad and mom come in we sit and chill for a bit get caught up when dad wants to see his new (old) bike. We stop by the ice box grab a cold Coke on the way to the down the stairs into the ofice/play room and out to the shop.. last 4 steps are dripping wet, my Spidey sence knew something was not good. I try to oen the door and it wont budge.. Ok we will go throught the roll up garage door.. When i open the door I see dirt patterns running across the shop floor as well as parts all piled in one corner that were once on the shelves through out the garage.. I think well this is freaking GREAT... I walk over open up the office door and the place is a MESS. my desk is turned on its side and wedged against the other door, Jakes toys are in a pile against the wall, paper work is melted into the carpet, the drywall is soaking wet from the floor to about 3 1/3 feet high up the wall..

Then the phone starts to ring..

Not only has my unit gotten flooded, but the other 2 I own have as well.. Most of the damage was to washing machines, and dry wall,, I have the contractors out here today doing repair work on the other units then will fix mine this week.

Seems once I went to bed the storm drains finaly got over taken by the water, we think it is the big ditch at the other end of the property that finaly over flowed, but either way we got flooded...

Sorry for no pic, but my digial cam as well as phone were both setting on my desk when the waters came

Last edited:
Man that really sucks :(

Can you put in some extra drainage so it doesn't happen again ???

Sorry to hear that man. Hope all is well after clean up. Watch the contractors to make sure they take the proper precautions to ensure that mold will not be an issue at a later date.

Right now they are ripping out dry wall and setting up dehumdifiers to dry up everyhting. Then they are going back with some mold blocking green dry wall.. I am going ot have to come out of of pocket about 5K total on this with the repairs as well as having to buy 2 washing machines, and 2 dryers. I am hoping my insuance company will hep me out on this. My deuctable is 5K reapirs will be in excess of 10K with labor, supplies, equipment, and so on.. my house took the hardest hit, I spent most of yesterday totaling up the cost of oil filters, fuel filters, spark plugs, brake pads and 3 new PCIII's and a thundermax.. It is going to cost me a lot of money to replace that if insurance wont cover.

Last edited:
Oh and I only keep bikes I am working on in the shop. All my others stay at the storage unit down the road.. I had 3 customers bikes all on lifts thankfull as well as my father in laws 81 Honda CB900F and my 08 R6.. I did a oil change on both our bikes. Pulled the body work off everything seemed fine. Both fired right up with no issues.. I guess the wat in the garage was not as deep as whats was in the office.

Very sorry to hear this. I hope the insurance company will help, but understand about the 5k out of pocket.

They are down stairs now puling my office apart.. I just got home from taking my PC to the computer shop to see if ny of my files can be pulled.. I really hope they can since my back up tapes were under water also... So far total in the shop is over 2000 in parts the office in just stuff lost like computer, mobile phone, camera, video cam, and Jakes train sets is over 1500.00... It looks liek i am the only one with carpet damage as the other 2 units were bare floor since it was the garage that got wet..

Back