talk to me all you gun folks

ditchdr

Registered
I am in the market for a new hand gun. I am looking at something i can carry and is a very nice weapon.. So far I have found the Glock 19, and a Kimber 1911.. I know thw Kimber is a higher price.. But protection is worth it I feel.

SO what are some pros and cons on each

Thanks
Matt

I am in the market for a new hand gun. I am looking at something i can carry and is a very nice weapon.. So far I have found the Glock 19, and a Kimber 1911.. I know thw Kimber is a higher price.. But protection is worth it I feel.

SO what are some pros and cons on each

Thanks
Matt

you can't beat a glock, but for protection you may lok into the 36. at least I think it's the 36, the slim line .45. It's purdy and fun, I carry a ruger P-345 but i've always been a fan of ruger.

as far as Kimber goes...AMAZING weapons, among the best. But you WILL pay for it and the 1911 style requires good cleaning and maint practices compared to a glock which is more of a point and pull.

sawed off shotgun.. or a p22.. with the p22.. just riddle the intruders stomach with bullets.

but for real.. go with any standard 9 mil.. i also have a thing for the aesthetics of this ruger:
ruger_sr9_1.jpg

sawed off shotgun.. or a p22.. with the p22.. just riddle the intruders stomach with bullets.

but for real.. go with any standard 9 mil.. i also have a thing for the aesthetics of this ruger:
ruger_sr9_1.jpg

9mm for protection????

do yourself a favor and spend the money hehe. .40 and .45 Need some kind of stopping power

Kimber is awesome. Also look at a springfield 1911. I like polymer frame guns but if I were to own only one pistol it would be a springfield 1911

I carry two glocks. here is a pic of my 26 and 19, both 9mm. I recently upgraded to the 23 and 27 .40 cal.
gun1.jpg

Last edited:
Someone asked the late Col. Jeff Cooper why he carried at .45. He simply answered, "Because they don't make a .46" Lol

I perfer the glock. However if you like the 1911 platform, buying a Kimber is cheaper than "hopping up" a cheaper brand 1911. Kimber's just about perfect out of the box. IMHO.

Chris

Springfield XD 45.

I've also heard some good things on the S&W M&P .40...

I personally like the feel/trigger of the Glocks, and the feel/trigger of the 1911's.

As someone said above, the 1911 is the M16 of the pistol world, needs more maintenance to keep running well, (but if all is considered, it runs VERY well), and the Glock is more compared to the AK47, runs through almost any condition with little maintenance. But you loose the accuracy of the 1911's.

With the glocks and the polymers, you're also gonna get a higher cap. mag. too.

But if you're in a firefight where you need more than a couple of 7rnd mags, you're probably somewhere where you shouldn't be...:laugh:

(As a side note, this is quoted from a police buddy of mine from the gunstore. I don't have any experience with either yet. Only ones I've shot are Ruger P90 which I thought was ****e, and a Ruger .40, which was comperable to the first).

Good luck with whatever you choose. Are you getting your CCW permit or something????

You picked two very different guns that have unique features. You need to find something that fits you and your natural point. Both are large full size handguns so be prepared to change your style of dress to effectively conceal one. The 9mm cartridge has some very effective loads and there are some single row magazine models that are slimmer than other. The 9mm has less recoil and is somewhat easier to master than hotter cartridges like the .40. No matter how powerful the caliber is, it won’t do much good if it misses the target.

I agree with staying with the high quality versions. I would recommend that stay away from a single action for one main reason… you are asking for advice from two vastly different carry guns. For that reason, I say stay away from a single action gun like the 1911. I only recommend those with quite a bit of experience and willing to continually practice to carry a single action gun. A double action only gun is a pretty good choice. All glocks are DAO and several other offer models.

I prefer Sigs myself, as they fit me better than the glocks. I think I’m goint to buy a Springfield XD Sub Compact and see how I like that.

This is my favorite self defense weapon. However it is a bit difficult to conceal. Same thing with a hand gun, if it gets too difficult to conceal you’ll end up leaving it at home.

For those wondering what it is: ScatterGun Tech (now Wilson) Custom 870 12 Gauge 14" barrel. Holds 16 rounds total 1 in the chamber, 5 in the magazine, 6 on the size saddle and 4 in the speed feed stock. 25 yard 00 buck easily patterns in a chest area of a standard silhouette target. 50 yard slugs are amazing.

IMG_4452s.jpg

I've got the centinal version of this one (concealed hammer DOA) Great gun...drops in a pocket very easily! :thumbsup:

Love it. I carry it every day and actually forget that it's there because it's so light and so easily concealed. If a .38 hollow point cant stop someone then I'm pretty much screwed:laugh:

Love it. I carry it every day and actually forget that it's there because it's so light and so easily concealed. If a .38 hollow point cant stop someone then I'm pretty much screwed:laugh:

yes those guns are perfect also cause you can get them out of your pocket fast without snagging on the edge of your pocket.

WHEN I carry a gun (rarely ever) I carry one of my 45's. Not very comfortable but I like em' and I'm very comfortable with em'. My springfield armory one is my favorite.

Gold Dot +P in mine. Figure 5 shots of with this on me, is way better than my 2 226 Sigs at the house or in the car! I'd be afraid to guess how much carry time this little 442 has seen. I carried it as a backup in uniform as well. Great gun but it is a handful to fire with the heavy loads. I used to have a bit of problem with the 50 yard shot at qualificaition but all the shots 25 yrds up would be there. :) I used to laugh that we had to qualify at that distance with the snubbies.

Gold Dot +P in mine. Figure 5 shots of with this on me, is way better than my 2 226 Sigs at the house or in the car! I'd be afraid to guess how much carry time this little 442 has seen. I carried it as a backup in uniform as well. Great gun but it is a handful to fire with the heavy loads. I used to have a bit of problem with the 50 yard shot at qualificaition but all the shots 25 yrds up would be there. :) I used to laugh that we had to qualify at that distance with the snubbies.

Yeah, the 637 is like a cannon. Definately a handful to fire.

Trying to work a deal on one of these right now. Have to sell one of my ARs to make it happen though.
DPMS Kitti Kat 7" barrel.

KittiKat.jpg

hey man try the 24-7 taurus 40 cal thats what i carry its nice lots of stopping power nice reliable piece check it out dude :thumbsup:

Back