A trip to Chernobyl

That's just awful....i wouldn't wish a mullet like that on anyone :laugh:

Oh and thanks to Chernobyl, the world learned that a naturally subcrittical reactor is bad news....let's hear it for super critical!!:cheerleader:

words escape me for that... I remember that day very well... the political fallout was terrible too.. but the loss of life was horrendous and the sacrifices many of the workers made are nothing short of heroic..

The guys that went in after the initial explosion "knew" that they would die from the exposure but went in anyway for the sake of their country..

We may have been in a cold war but that does not diminish the sobering effects of this disaster..

words escape me for that... I remember that day very well... the political fallout was terrible too.. but the loss of life was horrendous and the sacrifices many of the workers made are nothing short of heroic..

The guys that went in after the initial explosion "knew" that they would die from the exposure but went in anyway for the sake of their country..

We may have been in a cold war but that does not diminish the sobering effects of this disaster..

Not only did they go in....they stayed in, for months, untill they finished building the containment structure.

those pics are great. I was about 12 so I dont really remember it. So were there kids in that school when it happened.

I remember it very well also. Those pictures are AWE inspiring. Can't imagine what it felt like to ride that out.

When did this happen? Did it say '86? I was 6 and have no reccolection of it. I do however remember the Challenger and other things from that time period. Anybody got a definate year?

Cool, I was afraid it was a link to more of that Eurochicks BS "motorcycle" trip to Chernobyl. Very interesting.

That's just awful....i wouldn't wish a mullet like that on anyone :laugh:

Oh and thanks to Chernobyl, the world learned that a naturally subcrittical reactor is bad news....let's hear it for super critical!!:cheerleader:

easy now, i work on the instrumentation at a nuclear plant. you dont want super-critical, that means that the neutron population is rising, sub-critical is nutron population is lowering. critical is stable. its nuthing like the movies make it out to be. chernobyl was indeed a terible mistake, the operators defeated every safety system they had, so when the neutron population increased, the reactor did not trip, no time to stop. devistation.

easy now, i work on the instrumentation at a nuclear plant. you dont want super-critical, that means that the neutron population is rising, sub-critical is nutron population is lowering. critical is stable. its nuthing like the movies make it out to be. chernobyl was indeed a terible mistake, the operators defeated every safety system they had, so when the neutron population increased, the reactor did not trip, no time to stop. devistation.

groovy, you work at a plant...so i don't need to explain that ALL US reactors are naturally supercritical....meaning if you remove the hafnium, the reactor automatically...well reacts. That's a good working system with very low chance of over fluctuations in power.

when a reactor is naturally subcritical (key word is naturally in both instances) then you have to introduce thermalized neutrons to intiate the process...very high chance of over fluctuations and the design takes a long time to slow down back to it's subcrit state...assuming it hasn't already gone solid as in the case of chernobyl.

I learned that on the radio :thumbsup:

i & c tech? im an hp/rp

The really scary part is the sarcophagus they built was only temporary with a maz lifespan of twenty years or so (I forget the facts). Plans were for the "international community" to build a mega-million dollar "super-sarcophagus" to last hundreds of years. It was started but of course never completed - and with the world's economy going down the drain doesn't look like it will be completed anytime soon. Chernobyl is still a very dangerous ticking time bomb waiting to go off.

If you want some more first hand stuff, check out this girls website.

elenafilatova.com

She's a biker and has some fantastic pics and history of Chernobyl and other interesting topics (and she's pretty hot too). He has all the dope you need to know about Chernobyl. It's frightening.

We have not heard the last of Chernobyl. :grim:

Yep....

All I can say is that about every 6 months we review incidents like this as a reminder...

Wow. I was only 3 when it happened. And, by the time I got into school, we didn't talk about it much. Only that it happened. Then again, I grew up less than 7 miles away from Trojan Nuclear Power Plant. And, I think that the teachers knew enough that talking about a neclear plant meltdown would freak us out a bit, until they moved the reactor. I feel so uneducated about the whole thing. In fact, I thought that the cities around Chernobyl were back up and running. I had no idea that they will never be.

too bad they wouldnt take you down to see the "elephants foot" the other guy on here that works at a nuc plant probably knows what im talking about and has more than likely seen pics of it. its impressive to say the least. that would be a cool tour to go on though

I wouldn't want to see the "elephants foot", that guy is probably dead now...

There is plenty to read about the incident, they made several fundamental errors which lead to the incident.

It's good to be educated on the issue and how we got there so we don't repeat the same thing. So what do we do, we keep going over incidents, near misses, and other things that could lead up to such an event in order to place barriers in the way such that we don't repeat a similar event.

groovy, you work at a plant...so i don't need to explain that ALL US reactors are naturally supercritical....meaning if you remove the hafnium, the reactor automatically...well reacts. That's a good working system with very low chance of over fluctuations in power.

when a reactor is naturally subcritical (key word is naturally in both instances) then you have to introduce thermalized neutrons to intiate the process...very high chance of over fluctuations and the design takes a long time to slow down back to it's subcrit state...assuming it hasn't already gone solid as in the case of chernobyl.

I learned that on the radio :thumbsup:

by hafnium i assume you are refering to the natural piosions? and that there are many ways to control the k effect, we personally use recirculation pumps to change the moderator density for fine control, or control rods for course. we also have sodium pentaborate for emergencies. as far as supercritical goes, the introduction to nuclear power manual defines it justas i stated before. btw, the soviet reactor used a horrible design that used graphite as the moderator. (heard it on the radio):whistle:

I wouldn't want to see the "elephants foot", that guy is probably dead now...

There is plenty to read about the incident, they made several fundamental errors which lead to the incident.

It's good to be educated on the issue and how we got there so we don't repeat the same thing. So what do we do, we keep going over incidents, near misses, and other things that could lead up to such an event in order to place barriers in the way such that we don't repeat a similar event.

well you wouldnt want to go and give it a big hug thats for sure. remote cameras only could go by the "elephant foot". they did actually have a guy go in and from a distance shoot at it with a small caliber rifle to knock a piece off for sampling

Back