How would YOU feel about this?

runeight

why ask why
Donating Member
Registered
Just wondering how the oRg members would feel about this. I sent Sambusa an email I received and he was surprised to say the least.

There is a new policy where I work that has everyone up in arms. Basically it states that the Company Officials have the right to inspect your cell phone while on duty. If it is on...fired. If it is off they have the right to turn it on and browse your calling history. If calls were made within your tour of duty..fired. If you answer your phone while on duty..fired.

Invasion of privacy? Getting carried away?

At this time policy states while stopped you can use it but feel that will change soon. I told you that this was going to get bad in another thread and it has.

r8

Last edited:
my employees can't even have their cell in their pocket while on duty, they have to leave it in their locker...if they are on the company dime, they follow the company rules

WOW That is crazy WTF happens if there is an emergeny that requires your attention (ie your spouse or child pass or better yet need medical attention that is crucial to their staying alive) I do not think that an employer should be able to mandate that you can not carry your cell phone I can understand them wanting to have the ringer off which I am fine with but being fired because you have your cell phone on is BS

WOW That is crazy WTF happens if there is an emergeny that requires your attention (ie your spouse or child pass or better yet need medical attention that is crucial to their staying alive) I do not think that an employer should be able to mandate that you can not carry your cell phone I can understand them wanting to have the ringer off which I am fine with but being fired because you have your cell phone on is BS

Have the family member call work,as you know the shop has a way to contact outside or inside folks all the time..Co. time you do what the company wants...

Exactly! You and others here know what I went through earlier this year with Mikki.

r8

Have the family member call work,as you know the shop has a way to contact outside or inside folks all the time..Co. time you do what the company wants...

Not that easy Daniel. Mikki called once. Took forever and the word "transplant" didn't ring a bell.

r8

i work in a retail setting and if there is a life-threatening situation, they can always call the store and request to speak to the employee...i know this isn't a popular subject in today's world of "i have the right to do anything i think i can rationalize and everyone else needs to work around it" but if someone is paying for your time, they own your time and have the right to require whatever they want as long as it isn't unethical or threatening to one's health...anyone who wants a job but doesn't agree with this is always welcome to find another job elsewhere :beerchug:

Let me guess... Some azzhole crashed a train while talking on the fone? :whistle:

Gay azzhole. Here is the deal. He has know way to defend himself. I am not justifying his actions. Lets make that clear.

I do know that signals fail. Sam, you do also. The Company will never admit this. Never. David (RIP my friend) had the same thing happen to him. Fired.

When it came time for investigation he pulled out a hand held tape recorder which had the signal department employee state "yes, the signal displayed a false indication".

He returned with full pay and no discipline.

I look at 262 plus signals going one way. I have seen the same thing. The signal could have been indicating "proceed" but we will never know the truth.

r8

I'm appalled.

I'm sure there are some jobs which might require such stringent rules; but I don't know of any of them. Sorry for you, for this, brother.

I sit here all day, texting, chatting online and on my phone, posting on the .oRg; no problems. I just called my Mom (Missouri) from the company phone, too. As long as I get my work done flawlessly, as long as I continue to be creative in ways to save the company money and promote the objectives of said company, as long as I am a VALUE to them, in every way, it's in their best interest to keep me happy! ...and to leave me to my own maturity.

Wow. Reminiscent of a police state.

Guess I'm really lucky, then.

Last edited:
Scar, my point is not using them on Company time.

My point is that I can walk up to you, demand to see your phone, turn it on and see who you called and when you used it.

r8

don't get me started with the who cell phones...:soapbox: we survived as a responsible society before them so I don't feel it's unreasonable for an employer to require them to be off unless the employee is on their scheduled break/lunch time.

more posts since I started typing... There's no such thing as privacy. If I suspect an emplyoee doing something wrong then I can take means to identify my suspicions. It's not a democracy. Show me the phone or quit

Last edited:
don't get me started with the who cell phones...:soapbox: we survived as a responsible society before them so I don't feel it's unreasonable for an employer to require them to be off unless the employee is on their scheduled break/lunch time.

more posts since I started typing... There's no such thing as privacy. If I suspect an emplyoee doing something wrong then I can take means to identify my suspicions. It's not a democracy. Show me the phone or quit

WOW!

r8

wow!! sounds like high school!! Here at the school I teach, we require that all STUDENT cell phones be OFF during school hours. If it is ON, we take it away... but by no means do we go searching through it to see who and when they've been calling/ texting. (and we usually don't take it unless they have it out or are using it)

my 2 cents.... we survived without them before, we can still do so now... If it is an emergency and you need to leave work.. it is always easier to explain when the call comes through the main office.. instead of you having to go up your boss and say "my wife just called and Suzy is sick at school and I need to leave" ... to a boss that sounds a little suspicious.... depends on your boss....

It seems to me that the greater good of public and personal safety is at issue....as long as the policy is in place and the actions that will result from ignoring policy are clearly stated, I see no reason for the uproar.

Am I correct in assumiong that there is an alternate means of communication (radio) available to the employee? This would seem to cover the emergency contact issue.

It seems to me that the greater good of public and personal safety is at issue....as long as the policy is in place and the actions that will result from ignoring policy are clearly stated, I see no reason for the uproar.

Am I correct in assumiong that there is an alternate means of communication (radio) available to the employee? This would seem to cover the emergency contact issue.

Yes there is an alternate means however communicating on it means everyone else hears you also.

r8

I do think this is crappy, however as stated it is the companies dime. If they are not relaying messages to you fast in emergency then that needs to be addressed more so with this rule in effect. But, as crappy as it is, it is a response to issues they see arising, right or wrong, it's how they want to run the show.

:moon: to them

Back