Must speak to this...unbelievable IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Over_Easy

GEO-STABILIZATION EXPERT
Donating Member
Registered
I have not been on the board very often as of late, but this (see link at bottom) caught my attention thanks to RacerV and just blew me away (i.e. pisses me off). RacerV (John), who was behind Jimmy during the 2008 Spring Bash group ride saw the accident caused by Robert ('dadofthree') first hand and understands it very well could have been him as opposed to or in addition to Jimmy being severely injured.

I do not know Robert. Regardless, his thread (see link) disturbs me. Since making the 'decision' to ride irresponsibly (over the edge and out of control) during the 2008 Spring Busa Bash 'causing' severe injury not only to Jimmy but to his own girlfriend (riding pillion no less), Robert has the gall to post a thread on here mentioning his 'poor, unfortunate, insurance situation' ($4k annual) which forces him to put his bike up for the winter until Spring. And to say to Jimmy at the hospital not to 'beat himself up over this' is beyond me. Fortunately for us both I was not there to witness that statement.

Meanwhile, Jimmy, whose hip was broken in 13 places and still cannot work, is making ends meet for his wife and one year-old daughter on his group long-term disability. This like most group disability policies pays only 60% of 'base' earnings. In addition, that 60% is also taxed as income and I believe about 30% of his earnings were from overtime work. As an example, a $100,000 wage earner would only receive a net income of about $34,000!!!

Jimmy was a skilled professional as a lineman with Progress Energy and it is unlikely he will be able to ever regain this position within his company due to his injuries...we'll see. His future capacity at Progress Energy is not certain at this point. To see Robert mentioning his 'unfortunate situation' with his insurance for his brand new 2008 Busa, quite frankly, sickens me.

I have seen comments that Jimmy, as a rider, was unskilled or if he had been more skilled this possibly could have been avoided. I'm here to tell you I rode with Jimmy for two years leading up to this incident and he was one of very few I felt comfortable riding close with and those of you who have ridden with me know my ability to ride (26 years) and know what I'm talking about.

I understand Robert's intentions were not to cause injury to his girlfriend, to Jimmy or any fellow riders, but he made the 'conscious' decision to ride out of control in a group and endanger others. It's no different than the kid riding wheelies down the middle of the highway and runs broadside into a family crossing the street because he lost control due to his decision.

To my knowledge, knowing Jimmy as a friend first hand, Robert has never shown true remorse and his distanced himself from the whole thing by attempting to sweep it under the rug. I would never feel safe knowingly riding in a group with someone like this and it's why I will never likely ride in a Busa Bash group ride again.

Jimmy has not been on here ranting and raving about this but I, and to an extent RacerV, have more first hand knowledge/experience on this incident than anyone else so yes I'm holding the torch on this.

Robert, or anyone else for that matter, if you read this, my whole point behind this is 'accountability.' I'm not saying the rest of your life should be some miserable existence, just that accountability for your actions has not been witnessed by me or anyone else I am aware of.

Link to thread:
https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/new-2008-busa-threads/95690-rear-spools-installed.html

Its a bad situation. I didnt go on that ride.......and some people know why. I'm glad I trusted my gut feeling. The whole thing sucks.

Its a bad situation. I didnt go on that ride.......and some people know why. I'm glad I trusted my gut feeling.
why would you say this? if others knew why and you knew something others should have...

why would you say this? if others knew why and you knew something others should have...

Randy, I'm not acquainted with any of the people who were at the bash.
When you talked to me about attending the fall bash, remember I asked you about the expected number of attendees?

Well, when you told me, the single thought that ran through my mind was the odds of an incident. And again, I don't know any of the people involved. It's just in the law of averages, I think. The larger a group of people, the greater the variety of outcomes possible.

Randy, I'm not acquainted with any of the people who were at the bash.
When you talked to me about attending the fall bash, remember I asked you about the expected number of attendees?

Well, when you told me, the single thought that ran through my mind was the odds of an incident. And again, I don't know any of the people involved. It's just in the law of averages, I think. The larger a group of people, the greater the variety of outcomes possible.
this happened at spring bash 08 on Skyway... Any event where more than 2 bikes come together runs the risk of a crash or fatality... it is a fact we all accept every time we jump on a bike.. (I think this is part of the attraction, to cheat fate)...

I and others stayed and cleaned up the mess from that crash at Spring Bash and it was not a good day for anyone involved.. it was one of 5 crashes at Spring Bash... maybe we should have all listened to our "guts" and canceled Spring Bash?.. (no, that would be nuts)

Fact is you can only take care of your own "ride" and you have no control over anyone's ability to maintain concentration or riding skill..

I am just grateful no one got killed... I am hoping that Jimmy makes Spring Bash!! (he is hoping to make it)

this happened at spring bash 08 on Skyway... Any event where more than 2 bikes come together runs the risk of a crash or fatality... it is a fact we all accept every time we jump on a bike.. (I think this is part of the attraction, to cheat fate)...

I and others stayed and cleaned up the mess from that crash at Spring Bash and it was not a good day for anyone involved.. it was one of 5 crashes at Spring Bash... maybe we should have all listened to our "guts" and canceled Spring Bash?.. (no, that would be nuts)

Fact is you can only take care of your own "ride" and you have no control over anyone's ability to maintain concentration or riding skill..

I am just grateful no one got killed... I am hoping that Jimmy makes Spring Bash!! (he is hoping to make it)

You make a good point. I was just trying to guess why someone may not have shared their reason for not getting up to ride on a given day.

Besides, I don't think the fact of the crash is the source of the tension and controversy.

Besides, I don't think the fact of the crash is the source of the tension and controversy.
correct.. but fact is, it is no ones business but those directly involved.. none of us has to live with the consequences and so comment about what may have or may not have happened is the sole territory of those directly involved in the crash.. I would expect and hope that they can do this so that they can move forward in their lives...

make no mistake, this was a life altering experience for those involved.. I think any comments about the crash should be left to them at this point..

My prayers are still with all involved..

I understand your concern for your wellbeing but this thread was started with the assumption that Robert is the only guy at the bash to ride kinda fast. I have bad news, but almost everyone down at deal's gap usually pushes it alittle bit over their comfort level. It's happens, and it's gonna keep happening. That's inherint with a sportbike get together.

Robert's thread on insurance was a whole different topic and had nothing to do with the accident. He made no mention of the wreck and wasn't doing any "Poor me" statements. He was merely making conversation and posting on what was at hand.

Lighten up. I'm sorry that Jimmy wrecked and there's nothing to change that now. We can't undo the situation and I'm sure Robert regrets it happening.

Big groups rides with lots of strangers suck....always have the "ego" thing, guys going too fast for their skills, the conditions ect, no predictability in your "new to you" riding buds. Its risky business for sure. Stay alive by staying small (or in back). Only ride with guys you know :beerchug:

This thread was started to do NOTHING but sling mud and should be locked or ho'd away to the 5th page. Randy, Sam, and Paul make great points.

I too am VERY sorry this happened. Hooters makes the best burgers and wings :eatchicken: and I was hungry. Sorry I have a hard time leaving humor out of posts. BOTH were going too fast. I could name several other people here that have wrecked going TOO fast for conditions but luckily no one directly behind them ran them over. IF that had happened would a thread like this exist against them?

Yeah I'm not taking sides, but this is done... Over E, I understand your feelings but you should address this with the folks involved, this isn't something that needs to be aired on the public air waves.

My heart goes out to Jimmy/diesel, he and I didn't get along well, but I feel for him a great deal and hope he gets his legs back...

I don't know the other players, however it's unfair of you to just sling this up here hoping it's going to stick, Jimmy was there, and Robert was there nobody died and for this we are all fortunate I understand sticking up for your friend and it's what you should do, but this isn't the place...

Cheers.

Keith

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back