Invasive online banking 'security' questions

Narcissus

Hayabusa Immortal
Registered
OK, I've got to rant, but I'm seeing this more and more. I'm trying to get into my account and it won't let me in until I answer a bunch of 'security' questions. Quite frankly, they're invasive and don't really provide any 'security'. Most of them are spouse and extended family-related. Hello? Never been married and my 'extended' family is like 6000 miles away and haven't seen any of them in 20 years. :banghead:

AGH! WTH?!? I called to complain, but there was "nothing they could do to bypass the questions".

Whatever happened keeping a little 'privacy'?

Sorry, had to rant... but if anyone knows the right people to contact, LMK. Trying to get into my Wells Fargo right now without going through this question BS another time. Might stop by my local branch to raise some hell.

Hmm that is wierd... I have Wellsfargo and I don't have to answer all those questions to get into my online account....

I have one account that asks me two or three security questions. Other on line bill pays are easy. This one is not therefore I send a check.

I want to pay my bill not a game of jeopardy.

r8

Well, I think it is a pain, but I would rather do that than make it easier for someone to get into my account.

BofA started that a couple of years back. At first it was a hassle but now I am glad it is in place. These damn "phishing" sites are too good these days and get a lot of people's information to plunder their accounts. If I log in from different computer, I have to answer the questions but when I log in from my own computer it doesn't go through the whole verification process unless you delete cookies..

Wow! This is pretty amazing timing. I just set up my online account with my bank about 20 minutes ago. 3 security questions but they apparently don't ask them everytime I log in. But it's a local bank, not a nationwide chain.

Glad is life is treating you good Narc, sounds like you've gotten things all wrapped up pretty well if THIS is what you've got left to gripe about. :laugh:

Good to see you here, and hope you are doing well.

In all seriousness I know what you mean though, it's a little frustrating but hell they are simply trying to keep things more "secure" or at least give the user a warm fuzzy. Sure beats the hell outta the phone call to get a large purchase approved or to prove Identity.

Back