mod-a-holic
Donating Member
Registered
good try anyway ???

ATT848416.jpg

ATT848417.jpg

ATT848418.jpg

ATT848419.jpg

Gonna suck no matter where you put it down. Might was well do it on the runway where you can easily recover. Although I do get what you are saying. This looks like catastrophic landing gear failure. Interesting thinking to soften the blow... But who's bed did they steal? Someone was not happy that night :laugh:

Would love to hear the whole story behind this

Gear up landings? Mattresses are SOP - normally it isn't a complete gear failure though.

Gear up landings? Mattresses are SOP - normally it isn't a complete gear failure though.
So mattresses are Standard Operating Procedure? Was just talking about it to my supervisor who was in the airforce and that's what we were guessing.

So the questions keep coming. You say normally it isn't a complete gear failure. Is it normally just one of the langing gears that stick? So you are two wheel landing and hitting the mattresses with just one portion? That makes more sense to me, but I didn't get much into the aviation portion during my time.

we foam the runway usually, but we don't have harriers either. they can hover a little better than a C130

dang figured some cowboy would run over and give the wheel struts a good tug first..

just wrap a few weight belts around your mid section to keep from going "blender" through the intakes... :rofl:

dang figured some cowboy would run over and give the wheel struts a good tug first..

just wrap a few weight belts around your mid section to keep from going "blender" through the intakes... :rofl:
That's the best idea I have heard all day :poke:

Usually, you see this with -53s (big helos with retractable gear)... and as was stated, it typically happens with the nose gear (door gets stuck) so what is funny is watching the helo pull into a hover, lower the rescue hoist ( to ground the a/c) then have someone come underneath the plane to pry down the gear... if it is a no go, then out come the mattresses!

I'm a bit shocked that a better approach hasn't been implemented for these kind of crashes. ???

Why not have some sorta crash bag that could be deployed from the ground and reduce all of the crash damage?

Usually, you see this with -53s (big helos with retractable gear)... and as was stated, it typically happens with the nose gear (door gets stuck) so what is funny is watching the helo pull into a hover, lower the rescue hoist ( to ground the a/c) then have someone come underneath the plane to pry down the gear... if it is a no go, then out come the mattresses!
I bet that is a sight to see.... amazing this stuff even fly's in the first place..

Back