Another question for the internet guru's

jefferycarman

Lost and confused
Donating Member
Registered
So I am trying to find a cheap internet service, or way of connecting, for someone who is way out in the middle of nowhere. Trying to find the cheapest solution possible, while still getting reliable service.

What sort of options are there? This will be in the Hermiston, OR area. Not sure if that makes a difference. I am thinking a dial-up connection is your best bet, or pirating from a neighbor... but they wouldn't do that :laugh:

If there is something cool out there I don't know about maybe you could clue me in... Or just clue me at all

I have Satellite (wildblue) and it's not slow... or sucky :dunno: the cost is comparable to the local DSL company (cableone)

If you get At&t cellphone service there, then look into their "aircard'. My company bought me one and I can use it just about anywhere (crappier service if i'm in the middle of nowhere). You can also use it on roadtrips and vacations, makes for a very useful little item.

I have Satellite (wildblue) and it's not slow... or sucky :dunno: the cost is comparable to the local DSL company (cableone)

Well YOU are in the Minority on this One. Most People Hate WILDBLUE. Glad You Like it. I will Switch up to DSL or Cable when Contract Experies

Well YOU are in the Minority on this One. Most People Hate WILDBLUE. Glad You Like it. I will Switch up to DSL or Cable when Contract Experies

It only sucks when it rains.... but then again I went from Dial up to this... so I don't really know the difference... the school's DSL isn't much faster than my satellite at home. :dunno:

But I'm just a small time Myspace Ho.... Im not into Gaming or big time internet applications....

Last edited:
Back to the original question on limiting access to store:

Yes and is not all that hard to do BUT there are some issues..
blacklisting all but a specfic country is a real headache for firewalls.. it must parse each incoming request and verify the IP against a black list.. this can bring a server to its knees when the list starts getting very long (in the hundreds, not thousands)...

It is generally easier to "blacklist" EVERYONE and then "whitelist" your allowed IP's this is still not an ideal situation as a country may have hundreds of subnets.. but it is far easier to take care of than the entire world...

There are some "lists" that you can use to further reduce the load on the server (or create your own) but the firewall reaches out, checks list and then goes yea/nay on access

I by neccessity must black list most the Asian continent due to spam.. KR/CN/JP are notorious spam generating areas and so just stop them at the front door..

blacklisting all but a specfic country is a real headache for firewalls.. it must parse each incoming request and verify the IP against a black list.. this can bring a server to its knees when the list starts getting very long (in the hundreds, not thousands)...

It is generally easier to "blacklist" EVERYONE and then "whitelist" your allowed IP's this is still not an ideal situation as a country may have hundreds of subnets.. but it is far easier to take care of than the entire world...

There are some "lists" that you can use to further reduce the load on the server (or create your own) but the firewall reaches out, checks list and then goes yea/nay on access

I by neccessity must black list most the Asian continent due to spam.. KR/CN/JP are notorious spam generating areas and so just stop them at the front door..
You know too much sir!

But I think you hit the wrong thread :poke:

You know too much sir!

But I think you hit the wrong thread :poke:
oops... i was still at limiting access to another country.. :rofl:

Hey on the right note... I do have an AT&T 3G air card... it mostly works ok.. not anything close to a DSL connect or satellite but it works.. (you need to have cell coverage where you are for it to work and if the signal is crappy, so is your access...

Doh. Thanks for reminding me. It's been a few years since I took the Cisco Security class and haven't been using what I learned. :whistle:
Shoot, I've got my own 1720 with a WIC and I've never even plugged it in and looked at the run.

Back on topic, however. I thought I replied to this thread last night, but cell phone posting being a bit kludgy...

In general, the way to do answer your question is to look up the high speed internet service providers in the area. dslreports is very good, but is focus on the dsl carrier type.

Try High Speed Internet Access - DSL, Cable, Satellite, Wireless & Dialup Service Providers for cross-carrier providers. Look at each one, see what products they offer, and compare pricing (note: it is often possible to get a special deal if you call and ask, or maybe run across a coupon in the mail, etc. )

The next step I would suggest when you identify a plan you might want to buy, is try to find out what actual customers think about that plan.
As to how to do that, maybe someone else here can tell you for services such as wireless of satelltie, otherwise post it back on this thread and I'll see what I can dig up for you.

As for dialup... I'm not sure how dialup is working with current versions of java. I do know that my old windows 98 machine with outdated java was brought to it's knees with 2005 era java webpages, on dsl. With a current processor, don't know how the transfer speed would work - would the processor time out, or does it wait? :dunno:

In general, I suggest dsl if you can get it. It's generally reliable, the carrier (the telephone company) is technology infrastructure that has been in place for decades longer than anything else. Also, setup is straightforward and issues mostly more straighforward to strouble than dialup. I know this because I have actually done both for a living.

Back