internet Guru's question

PocketRocket

Donating Member
Registered
I have a question for my internet Gurus, Is it possible ( and I think it is ) to have an internet business based here in the USA , but have it only be available over seas...? IE like a Martial arts website , based here but only services Japan? Kinda of what happened was , I made some martial arts training vids. and the Dude that was editing etc , hasnt ever contacted me back and I cant get ahold of him... whats to stop him from selling to an overseas market ( with a voice over) and keep the Cash...? I was just wondering. Its getting to the point where its hard to trust anyone.. I still have some rough copy of a Cane Vid, but never got the punch defense and ground vid., editted and returned...

I have a question for my internet Gurus, Is it possible ( and I think it is ) to have an internet business based here in the USA , but have it only be available over seas...? IE like a Martial arts website , based here but only services Japan?

You are not asking a clear question here. Do you mean you only want the website pages to be displayed on computers supposedly physicallly located in Japan? If that's your question, the answer is yes. I don't know exactly how to implement that but you could do it with an access policy on a firewall that only serves pages to http requests coming from IP blocks that are "physically loacted" in Japan. Conversely, you could elect to only ship your item to addresses in Japan. But why limit your market? ???

Kinda of what happened was , I made some martial arts training vids. and the Dude that was editing etc , hasnt ever contacted me back and I cant get ahold of him... whats to stop him from selling to an overseas market ( with a voice over) and keep the Cash...?

Now you are asking a completely different question. This one has to do with copyrighted material. The short answer is - there is nothing you can do to stop him, well, unless you have enuff lawyer bucks and evidence to get a court ordered injunction, but that all begs the question until he actually takes action to publish your material. Which I'm sure you can prove it's yours because you've filed and paid for a copyright on that material, right? I thought not. That's ok, with copyright infrindgement, you can file somewhat after the fact if you can provide physical evidence that you produced the material and therefore own all rights to it. Assuming you have not assigned any first or secondary rights of use yet, and none of it has been published anywhere in any fashion, yet... you haven't given away any copies on cd or dvd... Did I say that was the short answer? :ROTF:

I was just wondering. Its getting to the point where its hard to trust anyone.. I still have some rough copy of a Cane Vid, but never got the punch defense and ground vid., editted and returned...
I have no idea what the above means... but there are very clear laws about intellectual property rights in the US which can protect your financial rights associated with intellectual material.

If you want to protect the financial rights to your video, copyright it. If it's as valuable as you think, it will be worth investing the copyright fees.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think his question was, can the person editing his videos sell them via the Internet to customers who are only in foreign countries (thereby keeping it secret from him)?

As for copyright, I'm not sure what the international factor adds to the mix, but I think (and don't know this for a fact, since I'm not a copyright lawyer) that when you are the "author" of a creative work here in the US, you automatically hold a copyright. But, in order to be able to sue for damages for infringement, it needs to be registered. I also believe you can register the copyright after the infringement begins, but the damages would only run from the point of registration.

If you find out that the work has been infringed, you should contact a patent attorney for advice.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Back