scared......layoffs

halfwit

Registered
well i had some vacation time built up, and if i dont use it before the end of the year, i lose it....

i took yesterday and today off...today i get a few calls from ppl saying there was a large layoff (about 1/5th) in the company.

im stressing out right now. i have been there less than 2 years, and ppl they let go had been there far longer.

i am 2o yrs old, jsut purchased a house (less than 2 months into it). and im scared i can be put into a bad situation here soon.

guess ill know tomorrow.

I hope that you are not one of the ones layed off. Good luck.

I feel for you man. It's a scary world out there today. My company has never laid anyone off in 25 years, but sales have been down every month for awhile now....it makes a man think.

hope not the case, in most companies they lay off people that been around along time and make a lot of money. they get rid of positions that one or two people can do the same job with less pay.

hope not the case, in most companies they lay off people that been around along time and make a lot of money. they get rid of positions that one or two people can do the same job with less pay.

honestly, that is what im hoping, i know these people made 5+ more /hr than me, but i do, or am capable of doing their job.

this happened to my dad at Indiana Ins Co. He was a few years away from retirement. He had 20 yrs with them. Retirement out the window. He now is killing bugs for Orkin cause nobody wants to hire an older employee.

I hope you fair better than I did.....got laid off in June. Still looking. Temp work in the meantime doesn't do much.

Best of luck to you.

Best of luck brotha hopefully your not one of them, they just laid of some folks at American Airlines here in KC too..

If I were you I wouldn't wait for things to happen. Update your resume, post it on the job boards and start hunting for other positions.

your not the only one trust me! there talking about serious cuts in our state for cities/towns which affects me. i hope it pans out for you and be positive regardless of the outcome.:angry:

Last edited:
I've been in the same shape. Been on my job about 2 yrs, signed the last of the paperwork on my house on Tuesday, Thursday morning they layed off/fired about 40% of the crew, two at a time, through most of the day. I stayed but aged 10 yrs in that one day. Looking back, it was people who had been missing a lot of work, screwing up/off, causing trouble, etc.. General fat trimming.
If you've been showing up and doing your thing like your supposed to, I'd bet you have nothing to worry about.

Guess now would be a good time to chime in on this subject! The parent Corp of the company I have worked at for the last 20 years(!) announced last Thursday that they were closing all four of our domestic plants by march of next year. I and 789 others at my facility (about 1400 nationwide) will be out on the street! No one has received official word on their official termination date as yet or what the severance package will be. I am kicking myself right now. I had a really good job offer from a local company a few months back that I had to turn down due to lack of a viable benefit package for my wife and kids. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Have to get back out there and start looking again. We are in better shape than some but it looks like Hard times for all I'm afraid.

Back