Southern California Burning

Scar

Seasoned Pilot
Donating Member
Registered
Well, as my plane was landing last night en route from the Wisconsin M&G, I saw the smoke...to the north, coming from Camp Pendleton in northern Oceanside, about 45 minutes north of San Diego.

It was thick and there was lots of it.

On the news this morning, it turns out that another fire has started east of San Diego (near Cameron Corners) on CA-94 at Buckman Springs Road (a regular haunt for us throttle-twistin-twisty-ridin' sport bikers).

There are also fires in Ventura and San Bernardino.

If this is an indicator of the way the winter is going to go...it's going to be a long season.

Stand by for more updates and pix.

San Diego News, San Diego, California News, Weather, and Sports - KGTV 10News.com

It's been only a year since the California was scorched by numerous, enormous fires...some people haven't even fully recovered from that!

:please:

What ever happend to California only having to worry about earthquakes. I don't remember fire season ever being this bad 15-20 years ago. I know My old home town burned a few years back.
I hope everyone makes it through the season. I should call my Aunt and see how she is doing.

What ever happend to California only having to worry about earthquakes. I don't remember fire season ever being this bad 15-20 years ago. I know My old home town burned a few years back.
I hope everyone makes it through the season. I should call my Aunt and see how she is doing.

You should call your Aunt, brother... Don't forget to discuss your winter visit. I know she'd appreciate hearing your voice.

:beerchug:

Sir, if there is anything you need let us know.

I was there for the 2003 wildfires. As was Busawife. Was not a fun time. I don't miss that.

Keep safe and keep us updated

This is the "high season" for fires here in California :(

Yes it is. I grew up out there. My dad lives about 15 minutes from you. In Saratoga. I spent summers at Library Park and War Memorial pool in Santa Clara. My Dad lived on Monroe by the Bakery and Post Office there.

It's been a long dry summer and with the winds this time of year :fire:

Man those fires look bad on the news up here Scar, we had a 30 acre fire at work a few weeks ago, a truck hit a pole and about a mile or 2 down the line a breaker shot sparks into the dry grass, took a helicopter and a air tanker to stop it...i work at a rocket factory:whistle:

Man those fires look bad on the news up here Scar, we had a 30 acre fire at work a few weeks ago, a truck hit a pole and about a mile or 2 down the line a breaker shot sparks into the dry grass, took a helicopter and a air tanker to stop it...i work at a rocket factory:whistle:

Stay safe up there. A friend of mine and his kids are fire fighters up there.

I was in Thousand Oaks yesterday when the Sesnon fire started. Clear sunny day, then 1/3 of the horizon advancing smoke. I like to wet myself when I saw how fast it came up. I got out of the area before the freeway was shut down, thank goodness. But the smoke cause a loss of visibility... pretty scary. One of the deaths occurred when people hit the smoke, and TURNED AROUND ON THE FREEWAY to get away from it. A headon collision occurred. RIP

Sir, if there is anything you need let us know.

I was there for the 2003 wildfires. As was Busawife. Was not a fun time. I don't miss that.

Keep safe and keep us updated

Thanks very much, Jeffery. I deeply appreciate your offer. Hey, BTW, I received the b-day card from you and BusaWife while I was gone. :beerchug:

Thanks very much.

Scar :moon:

Wow...Robb; that's crazy...and in the historic scheme of things...30 acres isn't all that big.

Glad to hear it's a done-deal... :beerchug:

I never knew you guys had a "season" for em'.

Oh, sure. We try to do everything right over here. If you can't identify the 'season,' it's hard to get your wardrobe together and look just right when the fires do come.

It occurs to me, looking back, that we had at our stadium (Qualcomm) last year during the really bad fires, free to the evacuees and victims:

• pilates classes,
  • massages, (Swedish and deep-tissue)
  • animal petting zoo,
  • frozen yogurt stands,
  • manicures/pedicures,
  • grocery delivery
  • Oprah-hour on the large-format, digital flat-screens
  • Donated Clothing Catwalk Contest (co-hosted by Goodwill and AmVets)
  • acupuncture
Some other luxurious stuff, but I can't remember everything, because I was too busy hauling food for the rescued animals.

This is California, after all. What less would you expect?

Seriously, if you're going to 'throw' a disaster, you might just as well do it in style, and trust me...we know how to 'do' fires over here.

:rofl:

:beerchug:

Last edited:
Back