Financial Meltdown ? or is it just me ???

Kento-Moto

Hayabusa Immortal
Donating Member
Registered
Well gang, we allways seem to be having up's and downs' in the business world... BUT Dont you think this current situation is like domino's!

I only had $50 K in a mutual fund a few months ago and now it is at $35K I COULDA BOUGHT A NEW BUSA!!!!! :banghead:

... anyway, ( calming down now ) Is anyone seeing this as a possible colapse? And will America's enemy's see this as a time to take advantage of us? Kick us while we are down ... ? ??? I certainly hope not but I am very concerned that we may be seeing only the tip of the proverbial ice berg. :(

Last edited:
I believe it's going to get a lot worse. The DOW Jones fall today was blamed on Foreign Markets. Basically, this is now World Wide.

Hang on. It's going to be a bumpy ride. (Bette Davis quote)

r8

I weep at the thought of looking at my 401-k! So I don't even bother. It will get worse before it gets better. The rest of the world is just now getting a taste of what happens when Millions of Hard working Americans curtail there spending. Blame it on OIL, Blame it on housing , blame it on trade imbalance I don't care. But we Americans have got to learn to take care of US instead of them here shortly!

As far as our enemies go, they do not have any mercy, they are our enemies. If they have a way to strike at us to take advantage of our current financial crisis they will.

Kind of like we are hanging off a cliff by our fingers and they are standing above us smashing each finger one by one until we fall.

Yes, our country is hemorrhaging and it has been for awhile. A result of too many people wanting something for nothing.

Oil speculation drove up the cost of oil which WE pay for at the pumps.

the electric and natural gas companies saw how the oil compnaies were able to screw us and no one did anything about it, so not too long after we started getting screwed at the pump the utility companies started to take advantage of us.

All the stores need to keep making profits so they pass on the losses as a result of above to us consumers.

Because us consumers are getting screwed by the oil industry and the utility companies and your local stores are passing the cost to the consumers for the delivery of products, people no longer have any spare money, and most people allways live just to within their means anyway.

And since most got a mortgage loan for the max they could qualify for, there was no room for error, so when people had to start forking out more money for fuel, utilities and food, there was no money left for the mortgage, so now you have people defaulting on their mortgages, losing their houses and banks being stuck with houses they cant sell because no one has the capital to purchase them.

Domino affect, yeah were are screwed and in my opinion it all started with greedy little bastards who wanted to make money on oil speculation and our government who didnt stop it.

All down hill from there.

I believe it's going to get a lot worse. The DOW Jones fall today was blamed on Foreign Markets. Basically, this is now World Wide.

Hang on. It's going to be a bumpy ride. (Bette Davis quote)

r8

the more to be worried about is dow jones going up and down and that is not good news folks!

All I have to say is I can't see why anyone would vote to keep the current party in power this November. Everything else aside, compare the economy over the last 16 years.

I took a loan out of my 401k and stopped putting money into it. I will hold on to it myself for awhile.

IMO
All the losses are just perceived losses. (paper losses)
The world is still there, farms are producing food, factories are producing goods, etc.
We will all need stuff and be willing to exchange our work for someone else's work and production.
I can't see where it will shut down and everyone go home and nothing get done.
There will be a re-alignment of sorts as the mess unravels, but the rest of the world is as scared as the USA about all of this.
Still if it all goes south where would you rather be?
We in North America have food, power, water, raw materials, technology, resources,... all more than we can use ourselves. The rest of the world will want it and want to trade, and help get out of the mess.
There will be a restructure, and some negotiating to keep it on track, but it is all the world’s interest to keep it rolling forward. If it stalls or stops, everyone looses, so they will all get along and keep it floating.

Well, Kent...as they say...

When America Sneezes, the World Catches a Cold!

How true does that turn out to be? :whistle:

Well my big one is my pension, as long as it doesn't collapse I will be fine. I don't have a 401K but do have a 457B which is similar just has a few other perks to it. I've not stopped putting into it but have cut back some for now. I've taken a pretty good hit on it and have also stopped investing in individual markets as well for now. My advice, keep capital at hand if at all possible because when this does turn around there are going to be some excellent buying opportunities.

This whole thing can be best viewed on a global scale.
Just remember that WE ALL caused this to happen.
ALL companies have shareholders as owners.
Those shareholders are all citizens of the world somewhere (or corporate shareholders who themselves have individual shareholders….and so on.)
ALL the Banks, Oil Companies, Insurance companies, and all other companies are all just entities who do what their shareholders (all of us) demand of them.
In our quest for ever increasing returns from the companies that we own, we at best allowed them, and at worst demanded of them, to behave as they have done.
Every shareholder of every company in the world is to blame.
And if we were not part of the solution, we were part of the problem.
We all share in this, so I don’t blame companies, governments, regulators or anyone in particular.
The buck stops with all of us as individuals, and even if we just had a bank account, or just some mutual funds, or a rental property, or 401K, or pension fund, or whatever, we all participated.

again, JMO

I'm buying stocks on sale. It will keep going down for a while, but if we fail everyone fails. It's a World Economy, not U.S. Economy.

The current political party didn't start this downhill slide. It started with Reagan, and was made much worse by Clinton with NAFTA. We can't survive the Democrat Party right now. The Republicans aren't much better. Anyone that thinks either party has our future in their best interest is a fool or ignorant beyond reason. Or they have been living in a cave or bomb shelter for the last 40 years.

Right now the biggest bust is because of housing costs, not oil. The housing market has been artificially inflated for many years. Now that prices are dropping, the people that overpaid and bought more house than they could really afford are being forced to sell. The lenders took advantage of the housing bubble. Now that it has burst they are demanding payment of the principle and interest. The largest group of defaulters are the buyers that got interest only loans. Now that oil prices have risen to $4/gal people need to reduce spending on other goods to keep the house they couldn't really afford in the first place.

The really sad thing about the current financial slide is that we can't save ourselves unless we start using our own resources. If we do that we will cut off the economy of the countries that we currently by the resources from. In short we have to hurt everyone else to save ourselves. If you think people hate the U.S. now, just wait until we quit sending them money.

Just my opinion.

Again I respect every opinion, but Governments just do what is demanded of them by the electorate.
If we didn't want them to do what they were doing, we could have stopped them.
We didn't want them (majority) to stop as we all benefited, so we didn't stop them.

I Pulled my 401K 6 Months ago. Lost about 10K in Taxes but did the Right thing. :thumbsup: AMERICA !!!! Take your Money and Run............... Buy Low and Sell High. :beerchug:

IMO
All the losses are just perceived losses. (paper losses)
The world is still there, farms are producing food, factories are producing goods, etc.
We will all need stuff and be willing to exchange our work for someone else's work and production.
I can't see where it will shut down and everyone go home and nothing get done.
There will be a re-alignment of sorts as the mess unravels, but the rest of the world is as scared as the USA about all of this.
Still if it all goes south where would you rather be?
We in North America have food, power, water, raw materials, technology, resources,... all more than we can use ourselves. The rest of the world will want it and want to trade, and help get out of the mess.
There will be a restructure, and some negotiating to keep it on track, but it is all the world’s interest to keep it rolling forward. If it stalls or stops, everyone looses, so they will all get along and keep it floating.

The man speaks the truth.

Back