9 years ago

PandaNin

Donating Member
Registered
This article is from 9 years ago. This link is direct to the New York Times...
Fannie Mae Eases Credit To Aid Mortgage Lending - New York Times

Fannie Mae Eases Credit To Aid Mortgage Lending

Did anyone else see this coming 9 years ago?

Notes:
* The Director of the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) for the Clinton Administration was Franklin Raines. Raines left the Clinton Administration to head up Fannie Mae in 1999

* Fannie Mae, under Raines' leadership, has been one of the major lenders to default in our current crisis

(I searched and didn't find this posted already, if so, well, shoot me now)

Fannie Mae, the nation's biggest underwriter of home mortgages, has been under increasing pressure from the Clinton Administration to expand mortgage loans among low and moderate income people and felt pressure from stock holders to maintain its phenomenal growth in profits.

Let's make everyone else poor while we become even more wealthy.

It's all Bush's fault!!! :madfire:
This :smileyexhibit: is not why they call the former president clinton "slick Willy".

Depressing is right. Hmm, let's see, let's base our business on making loans to people that we KNOW won't pay it back, cause it'll make us look really really good politically. They'll vote for me and my cronies and in 10 years when it all goes downhill they'll forget all about this.

I'm glad some news sources keep their archives online. This was a worthy find.

Galations 6:7 A man reaps what he sows.

Let's keep these obvious truths out of our Government, m'kay? :laugh:

A lot of Things Started During the CLINTON Administration. It Doesn't Matter Anymore !!!! McCAIN will Win and Obama will be a Memory.....................:thumbsup:

Yeah, ya try to help some people.

Seriously, and this may piss you off, most people are where they are by natural selection. Generally speaking, that is. There are exceptions on both sides.

There is a saying that says something like, "If all the wealth of the country were redistributed equally among all the people, within five years, it would all be right back where it is now."

Think about it. How many times have you heard of someone winning the lottery and within about five years or so, they are filing for bankruptcy or selling the proceeds of the lottery 'cause they're desperate for cash? Happens all the time.

The fact is, and this is what pisses people off, people have what they deserve. Not what they need. Not what they want. What they deserve. If you have a job making $24,000 a year, then it's because you are only worth that much to your employer. If you make ten times that much, it's because you are only worth that much to your employer.

People have this fantasy that great wealth brings great luxury and freedom and ease of living. That's true to an extent but what it really brings is great responsibility. If a person does not know how to handle great sums of money and long lists of assets and possessions, then dumping a bunch of money in his bank account only causes him problems because he doesn't know how to handle it.

Put another way, a guy who only knows how to handle $100,000 of wealth is a $100,000 man, not a $1,000,000 man. It's a fact of life and there is no other way to look at it. Granted, in this country, a $100,000 man can, over time, make himself into a $1,000,000 man but it's best done over time and with study and education.

Look at the difference between the two. One spends more time planning his family vacation every year than he does managing his finances. He'll think on that vacation for weeks, including how much room he has on his credit card to "pay" for it, etc. The other guy spends a couple hours a week planning his finances and working to increase his wealth a bit here and there. (There are a few who obsess about it, but not generally.)

Back to the mortgage crisis, if you hand a bunch of people a bunch of loan docs and they don't understand them or even try to understand them or ask anyone for help, what do you think is going to happen to those people? They're going to get shafted. Yeah, the increased home sales are going to help the economy but it's artificial wealth that can't be supported. Long term, the economy suffers as do the people.

I'm not saying that debt is necessarily always a bad thing but bad debt, badly managed is a horrible thing. As we are seeing now. We made the mistake of handing a bunch of debt to people who were not equipped by experience or by thought on how to use it or how to manage it. Granted, it's good to help people when you can but believe you me, giving handouts to people who aren't equipped for it is more damaging and harmful than beneficial.

--Wag--

Well stated Wag. Although I wouldn't mind getting my hands on a couple million :whistle:

It was a bad idea to give loans to anyone they could. It was done to improve the economy short term. People couldn't see past the short term to the long term effects of this.

Executives at the banks and lending companies don't understand their own balance sheets. Apparently, neither do the people who invest in those companies and worst of all, neither do the people who loan money to those companies.

Disastrous when you overextend to help people who are "less fortunate" and they don't handle it properly.

--Wag--

Back