Ducati help

ditchdr

Registered
I have a Ducati Monster 695 in the shop I picked up last week.. I was told by the guy I bought it from that it needed a new fuel pump, or so he said.. I bought one off CL and installed it today. Still no start. It has spart and has fuel and appers to be timmed. Anyone in here know what other things to look for, or maybe where I can get a free service book on this thing? I just want it fixed and sold ASAP, with out putting anymore money into it.

Thanks
Matt

you just bought it and want it sold ???

Don't like it or just have more problems than what you stated?

I was thinking about getting a 696...

It apears to be timed? How did you check it? There are 3 things you need for an engine to run: Fuel, fire(at the right time) and air. Also may want to check the cam and crank sensors. Assuming it has them. I've never worked on a duc. I work on cars for a living and am trying to think of things that may carry over to the bike world.

Hey bud. I would first and foremost check the voltage regulator. It sounds like that might be your problem. I have seen a similar situation once before and it was the reg. Easy fix.

Monster 695 is a very simple engine. Exactly what is it NOT doing. Turning over and not firing, Not Turning Over, Attempting to fire but not starting. We need to know exactly what the bike is doing. Also, where are you located, I can probably give you some info on where you can get help or a MANUAL. Also, a Monster is probably the easiest motorcycle in the world to work on. And the Monster (since it's a Duc starter bike) is very easy:beerchug:

motor spins but wont fire.. Ran the batter own so I used my jump box still nothing. I am in Charleston SC, closest Duc dealer is Champion Ducati, and they wont loan a book. GOnna call on tues to see if I can get some stuff emailed to me tho.

Ducati electrics are very sensitive to voltage, so Cblast's suggestion about the voltage regulator could be a step in the right direction. Magneti Marelli is the Italian version of Joe Lucas (but not as bad).

You got a pump off Craigslist or Ebay? Pressure test that puppy.

What year is this bike? A couple of years ago there were some crank position sensors that would not generate a strong enough pulse, and there was a rash of no-start problems due to that.

Last edited:
motor spins but wont fire.. Ran the batter own so I used my jump box still nothing. I am in Charleston SC, closest Duc dealer is Champion Ducati, and they wont loan a book. GOnna call on tues to see if I can get some stuff emailed to me tho.

Definitely sounds like sensor or voltage problem. Call the Dealer and ask if there is a Ducati Club close (Most have Cards in Dealerships). Call the President of the Club, and I am sure he can get you a manual or better yet, get someone local in the Club to come over and help you. Duc Club members are a real tight group who help just about anyone with a Duc :thumbsup:

Does it have a transponder in the key cause if it doesn’t recognize it the bike wont run even if the key fits

no not any kind of transponder key.. I forgot ot get the year of it before I left the shop.. But Champion Ducati will be out at bike night, I am gonna talk to some of the techs.

Back