Mr. Fusion is in the record books!

CrashBomb

Registered
Well it cost him almost $200,000 and took only ten minutes, but it looks like Yves is safe and sound on the shores of Ol' Blighty.

I have to say that I haven't been this excited about a crazy stunt for a long time. I don't care what Beardy Branson flies around the world in next, and I wasn't particularly moved by the loss of Steve Fossett. I do have the utmost respect for what Burt Rutan and Scaled Composites were able to acomplish with SpaceShipOne, and I look forward to what happens with the next X Prize. But an experimental aerospace corporation spending 25 million dollars to win 10 million dollars for a short, sub-orbital flight is a lot different than one man crossing the English channel on a wing that was designed and built largely in his garage. People are moved by this humble, soft spoken Swede who just made history and I have no problem understanding why. I'm genuinely touched.

BBC NEWS | UK | Pilot completes jetpack challenge

"I've always wanted to fly. I wasn't born with wings so I built my own."
"I was alone up there, but a lot of people were with me. I give this to them. I give this to the world."
"I was under tension. But fear? The day I fear, I don't go." (I'm reminded by this one of one of my kindred spirits, Hunter. "Fear? I know not fear. There are only temporary moments of confusion. Some of them are deeply stamped on my memory, and a few will haunt me forever." -HST)

When he landed after literally changing the world he was asked how it felt.
His reply? Simply, "Great!"

After watching that incredible display I almost don't want to watch those two jackasses gibber and drool at each other and make us empty promises about how they're not going to do what every...single...one...of them has done every time we've given them an inch and they've taken a hundred miles.

yves-rossy-2_1822.jpg

Yves%20Rossy.jpg

Thank you Mr. Rossy, we are all in your debt, whether we know it or not. I have no doubt that your are destined for even greater things.

Back