a gift from the N.C. highway Patrol

jch364

Registered
Here is a short story that will amuse everyone I am sure. Last week I went to the dragon for a nice time. 17th 18th and come home on the 19th. I checked in at the Phillips. Had a good day on the 17th. The morning of the 18th I got up at 8 and decided to go to the Mcdonalds. Here is the funny part. I for what ever reason decided to ride the bike down there without my helmet. I guess I did it because it was only like 200 yards away or so and I just didnt want to get it. So I coasted down the hill and went to Mcdonalds. Never Left First gear. Got pulled over in the parking lot by an unmarked suv. Guess he was the local leo. He asked if I knew that N.C. had a helmet law. I said no. And I didnt. I am from ohio by the way. He asked if I had one and were was it. I said yes and pointed to the hotel and told him it was in the room. He said he would be right back. THen about 5 minutes later a state trooper pulled up. The first officer came back up and said that the trooper would take care of me from here on and he left. About 10 minutes later the trooper walked up and handed me a $100 ticket for no helmet and then asked if I had any questions.....lol.....

Now before anyone gets all high and mighty about saying I should always wear a helmet let me go ahead and say that I already know this. I am believe it or not a bit of a gear nazi. I am not saying that I do or do not deserve the ticket. Thats not the point of this story really. The main point is that they are really giving it to bike riders even in Robbinsville so be careful period.

My only problem with this whole thing is that in this situation I would think that maybe a warning under the circumstances would have been a little more appropriate here. Since i was just coming from the hotel and the fact that I live 3 states away should have been taken into consideration but of course it was not. I still had to walk back and get the helmet anyway..

Oh well. it didnt stop me from having a good time. I know of several people that got tickets for speeding on the dragon that day. doing 10 or 15 over...oh well it was still a good time...

Oh and the next morning when I was getting ready to leave I saw the local leo directing traffic at the school crossing......So in the end I got punked out by a crossing guard....Now thats funny I dont care who you are!!

OUCH! I am guilty of the same offense some days. When I am at work I sometimes will ride up the road to the store for lunch without my helmet. But South Dakota doesn't have a helmet law so I can't get a ticket. Glad to see you didn't let it ruin your weekend! :beerchug:

Thats good that they enforce their laws. Sucks that it was on you. Oh well better luck next time around.

So in the end I got punked out by a crossing guard....Now thats funny I dont care who you are!!

Sooooo it was funny that you got punked by a crossing gaurd? or was it embarrasaing that a crossging gaurd was able to punk you? :poke:

BTW, you probably shouldn't use the phrase "So in the end I got punked" :laugh:

it was an expensive breakfast. I had a $105 steak egg and chees bagel with a hashbrown and diet coke.... lol:laugh:

First of all, thank you for your NC tax contribution. :laugh: That said, I like your attitude concerning the whole event and your ability to keep a sense of humor about it. If you were respectful with the LEO's during the discussion I agree with you that it should have been a warning. Once the whole thing got passed off by the crossing guard to the state trooper I think you were done at that point. Good attitude though...and we all need to laugh at ourselves occasionally I think.... especially if crossing guards are punking us out. :poke:

I am guilty of the same infraction at the Phillips. Moving the Busa from the top parking lot to the bottom parking lot without a helmet. Only got a verbal warning though.

GET OUT OF THE ROAD!!!!

One question I have here, ??? if the crossing guard had to call a trooper to write the citation, did he have the legal authority to effect a traffic stop? If he did, he should have wrote the citation himself. And on that did the trooper write the ticket on hearsay? Just smells a bit to me.

Did you honk and wave (from inside your helmet) at the crossing-guard with a license to kill?

:laugh:

Between the lines, here, folks...there's some sage advice...

One question I have here, ??? if the crossing guard had to call a trooper to write the citation, did he have the legal authority to effect a traffic stop? If he did, he should have wrote the citation himself. And on that did the trooper write the ticket on hearsay? Just smells a bit to me.

Very similar to what I was thinking.

Sounds like a two fisted money grab to me ???

Glad you had a good time anyway :beerchug:

the trooper can write the ticket and the officer that stopped me would be the witness and thats fine. im just a little confused as to why. Actually one of the locals in the mcdonalds said that he probably didnt even have any tickets on him....lol... imagine that....

They are getting strict though. A bike mechanic friend of mine was passing through there for the weekend and got a speeding ticket on the dragon for going 12 mph over.:moon: He didn't let it ruin his day either but I would have been bummed.

No markings, No badge, No name, No department. You should have walked into mickey Ds. From your story it was an unlawful arrest / ticket. No points ? pay it and be done with it.

Always wear the helmet; always :whistle:

Back