California Outlaws Texting While Driving

greyrocket

Registered
SACRAMENTO (AP) -- Gov. Schwarzenegger has signed a law making it illegal to read or send text messages while driving in California.

The bill by Sen. Joe Simitian imposes a $20 fine for a first offense and $50 for repeat offenders using any electronic devices to read or send messages, starting next year.

Schwarzenegger says the law he signed Wednesday encourages drivers to keep their hands on the wheel and eyes on the road. It follows previous laws restricting the use of cell phones while driving by Simitian, a Democrat from Palo Alto.

Since July, motorists have been required to use hands-free devices, and drivers under age 18 can't use any electronic devices.

The California Highway Patrol doesn't keep statistics on crashes related\

thank god make ****ing cellphones illegal get rid of the problem. makes the fines higher like if you get caught on a sport bike speeding :whistle: take your ass to jail. you were doing 60 in 25 and it took 2.4 seconds. i just hate people who drive and talk on a cell phone just drive your god dam car

i just hate people who drive and talk on a cell phone just drive your god dam car

So, John...do you have any thoughts or opinions on this?

:rofl:

On a serious note...I know what you mean, brother!!!

+1 If it was Legal I would Gladly Ride up Next to them and Kick in there Doors Reminding them to HANG UP YOUR PHONE and STOP FREAKIN TEXTING !!!!!!!!!!!!!

MY LIFE and YOURS DEPENDS ON IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rulez: Biatches :moon:

$20 bucks for the first offense please my first 94in a 65 was allmost $420 i was watching for cops and cars around me. where is my slap on the wrist ???

It is amazing the number of distractions a driver has at his or her disposal to entertain them selves. I saw a RAM computer mount for cars in their catalog today. Driving is dangerous enough just being focused on that with out all the other ancillary electronics.

Just the mere fact that we have to pass laws to prevent people from typing with their thumbs while operating a three thousand pound vehicle at speeds approaching triple digits is a sure sign that the world is about to end.

I think it's in Revelations, isn't it?
Doesn't it go; "plague, famine, pestilence, and cell phones"? Or is it; "cell phones, anti-intellectualism, famine, pestilence, then death"?

Based on what I have been seeing the fines should be $1,000 for cellphone and textring, unless you have a bluetooth and voice to text.

I can see someone saying "I was just going through the menu" on their court date and getting off for free. I suppose it's a step in the right direction.

just tie the GPS to the phone features, if moving only handsfree bluetooth will work.
$20 fine crazy, no seat belt is more than that and that only hurts you. texting or dialing could kill lots.
do politicians have to give up common sense when elected??????????????

WA state just passed a no text law while driving. But it is only a secondary offense. Meaning that you have to be pulled over for something else first. So if you can text and drive fine, then more power to you. But if you drift a lane you get that fine plus the texting one. It is the same for no seatbelt. They can't pull you over for just it alone.

+1 If it was Legal I would Gladly Ride up Next to them and Kick in there Doors Reminding them to HANG UP YOUR PHONE and STOP FREAKIN TEXTING !!!!!!!!!!!!!

MY LIFE and YOURS DEPENDS ON IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rulez: Biatches :moon:

If someone puts my life in danger by driving dangerously like cutting in I do kick their doors!

Pine

Someone came into my lane last week on the freeway, they were talking on the phone, so I punched their side view mirror, god if I could see the look on her face again :laugh:

Back