Got a package on Friday

ditchdr

Registered
I did not get around to opening it untill tonight after I got back from work..

Soon as I did I was speachless, I set it upon my work bench and happend to see a pic of my son and I started to cry..

I honeslty had completley forgotten about it, having figured it was tossed in with biohazzard trash that tragic evening..

So some back ground.. It was mid evening, about 8ish according ot the doccuments and police reports.. I was on my way home from a long shift on Medic 3 where i was held over a hour awating my relief to come from a different unit in the city.. I leave work as soon as he gets there.. I had on my button up uniform shirt, my EMS pants, Hitech side zip boots and my 2 week old KBC helmet (see pics). I head down cosgrove down to Dorchester rd, figuring I will beat a little traffic if I stay off the interstate.. I am 3 miles from home passing by a new neighborhood being built when a work van turns into me. My Triumph tt600 gets caught on his rear bumper by the forks. Now I am pinned under the bike that is pinned under the work van that has NO intentions of stopping for reasons I dont know. I am drug over 75 yards under the bike. I was taken to MUSC via ambulance, then flown to the burn center in Agusta GA shortly after where I spent 2 weeks healing from the road rash I had from my left ankle, all the way to my left shoulder. Before you ask, there are NO pics of the road rash, nor will I take pics of the scars, they are mine and I dont want to show them..

Anyhow I was pretty much naked from my clothes being drug off of me, and I guess my helmet was sent with me to Agusta...

Anyhow here are the pics a took a little bit ago, I was not going to take any and just trash the helmet, but i think I will put it front and center on the helmet display when I move into the new shop as a reason to buy and wear one.

010-1.jpg

009-2.jpg

008-2.jpg

007-3.jpg

006-2.jpg

What did they do to the DUMB@ZZ that dragged you 75 feet unaware ????..........Glad you walked and are in full recovery. Sorry to hear about the Triumph. :super:

Display that one proudly with saying something like 'If not for this . . .!'. Glad you made it, bro!

The guy who drove into me just kept going. To my knowlage he has never been seen again. But then again there are thousands of white work vans around here

Man I would have that puppy mounted somewhere! Just imagine that without the lid! I know a lot of states allow you to ride sans lid but this is a classic example of the logic involved. I had a Bicycle helmet that without a doubt saved my life. Hit a rock with my forehead at speed after getting thrown down hard on a Mt bike. Split the helmet in two! Trek took the helmet and gave me a new one (wish Arai would do that!) but I wish I still had it for just this reason!

wow, that is one scorched lid.... The story is even more wild.. glad you survived it... how long did you get stuck there before help was called? I can not think of a worse scenario..

Randy,

I really dont know how long I was there,, I want ot say maybe 10 min tops, but i was in and out of it with a combo of the trauma, burns, and blood loss so a time line is not something I have of that event.. I can tell you 2 weeks of having dead road rashed skin pulled from your body is pure HELL

Man I'm glad you had that helmet on, and I'm really glad you're up and at um again...

Nice, brother.. Ialways wear my helmet, and I've saved those pics to show my buddies that don't. That could be DOT helmet safety awareness commercial material there..

My GOD, wear your gear. I know how you feel. when I see pic`s of my accident I jump, and cringe.

Only other stuff I had on was my work shirt a cotton/ploy blen shirt, heavy poly EMS pants, and a pair of side zip hitech work boots.. No gloves, and ridding jacket or pants..

Oh and thanks guys, I am very happy to still be here my self..

Back