New PC Build starts

Mr Bogus

Trouble Makers Inc.
Donating Member
Registered
Ok after a couple year vacation from AMD stuff, I am going to try another one.. (always worked well but Intel stuff was running a lot cooler)Not sure that this is all top of the line stuff but should do ok for the little bit of gaming I do (COD/Fear/Flight sims)I got all this in and the Motherboard was "DOA" crapola..... new one on the way already
I have some addl stuff I already had that is going in but if you see any missing "toys" post up.... always open to "add-ons" :laugh:

ASUS M3N-HT Deluxe/Mempipe
nVidia nForce 780a SLI AM2+ Phenom FX / Phenom X4 / Phenom X2 / Athlon X2 /AM2 Athlon 64 X2 / Athlon 64 FX / Athlon 64 / Sempron Socket AM2+ 5200 MHz PC2-8500 (DDR2-1066) ATX Motherboard (this board will run 3 SLI video cards and I have 2)

AMD Phenom X4 9950 Agena Black Edition
Quad Core Processor 2.6Ghz Socket AM2+ 4MB Cache

CORSAIR DOMINATOR with DHX Technology
TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF 4GB PC2-8500 (DDR2-1066) DDR2

LITEON DH-4O1S-08 SATA Blu-Ray Black Drive
(also have dual layer DVD burner)

Netgear
JGS524 ProSafe 24 Port Gigabit Rackmount (network upgrade)

Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000GLFS 300GB 10000 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
X2 (also 1tb of addl storage sata raid 5)

CORSAIR|CMPSU-620HX RT (power supply)

EVGA 8800GT Superclocked Edition 512MB GDDR3 PCI Express Dual DVI Video Card
X2 (and a slot for a third one if needed)

pc.jpg

hmm wait till you see my latest work desk config... I am waiting till I get this one done to post it... :whistle: DOA mainboard... humbug... I wanted to see the benchmarks on this puppy....

hoping that the fans (last count was like 12 in this system) are not going to be to loud... I have a spare water cooling system but I do not have the blocks for both video cards or the Phenom CPU..(another $200)
They at least used heat pipes on the mainboard (Tired of main board fans dying every 9 months myself)

2097_l.jpg

Last edited:
Holy Sheet! That is nice. I will take your old parts...:poke:
Hmm it will be for sale... (when it gets back, Mainboard took a hit and Asus warranty dept is sending me a new one)

981_l.jpg

Forget which CPU is in this but as I recall it is the Pentium D950 and 2/G of DDR2 Corsair Premium memory and a 512M OC BFG SLI Video card (was like $550)

Last edited:
I just looked around my office (all of 10X10)... inventory:

1 dell server (Dual Xeon)
1 Win03 server
3 ATX SFF work stations
1 mid tower workstation
1 laptop
3 tablet PC's

Like I needed another box build... but it will be "special" :laugh:

Ok after a couple year vacation from AMD stuff, I am going to try another one.. (always worked well but Intel stuff was running a lot cooler)Not sure that this is all top of the line stuff but should do ok for the little bit of gaming I do (COD/Fear/Flight sims)I got all this in and the Motherboard was "DOA" crapola..... new one on the way already
I have some addl stuff I already had that is going in but if you see any missing "toys" post up.... always open to "add-ons" :laugh:

ASUS M3N-HT Deluxe/Mempipe
nVidia nForce 780a SLI AM2+ Phenom FX / Phenom X4 / Phenom X2 / Athlon X2 /AM2 Athlon 64 X2 / Athlon 64 FX / Athlon 64 / Sempron Socket AM2+ 5200 MHz PC2-8500 (DDR2-1066) ATX Motherboard (this board will run 3 SLI video cards and I have 2)

AMD Phenom X4 9950 Agena Black Edition
Quad Core Processor 2.6Ghz Socket AM2+ 4MB Cache

CORSAIR DOMINATOR with DHX Technology
TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF 4GB PC2-8500 (DDR2-1066) DDR2

LITEON DH-4O1S-08 SATA Blu-Ray Black Drive
(also have dual layer DVD burner)

Netgear
JGS524 ProSafe 24 Port Gigabit Rackmount (network upgrade)

Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000GLFS 300GB 10000 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
X2 (also 1tb of addl storage sata raid 5)

CORSAIR|CMPSU-620HX RT (power supply)

EVGA 8800GT Superclocked Edition 512MB GDDR3 PCI Express Dual DVI Video Card
X2 (and a slot for a third one if needed)

pc.jpg

All I hear is blah, blah, blah.....

Does that thing come with the launch sequence built-in? Actually I need to be looking at replacing my old desktop as it's about 5 years old and really slow even running just XP. What does something like this cost.... if I may ask?

All I hear is blah, blah, blah.....

Does that thing come with the launch sequence built-in? Actually I need to be looking at replacing my old desktop as it's about 5 years old and really slow even running just XP. What does something like this cost.... if I may ask?
hmmm you would mention that... I sort of ignore those things but here ya go.....

not for the weak at heart..

300 main board
275 cpu
150 memory
350 video
300 HDD's
200 case
150 PSU
100 BlueRay
100 DVD Burner
20 Floppy *yep
300 Vista Ultimate

If you wait 6-9 months, a lot of this stuff will come down 20-50% as a rule..

I build some pretty nice "home" gamer solutions for under $1000 however.. if a guy does not need the latest greatest, you can build some nice systems with year old technology...

If you are serious about upgrading, I will be moving some gear in the next month or 2, let me get an inventory and prices.. I have some pretty decent workstations that with some memory and a video card will work pretty nicely for home...

EDIT: I GOT MY TOASTER!!! WHOOHOOOO!~!!

Last edited:
I built my shoe-string gaming pc a couple months back, when my last pc could not run Crysis. I went with an Asus 580i MB with SLI, nVidia 7800GT(PCI-express), 3gb ram-PC2 5400, 4 sata hard drives (2 terrabytes), LG DVD burner, and a knock-off Alienware look alike case off Newegg, XP Sp3 and Intel Core Duo E4300 (because of its extreme overclockability).

May go up to an 8800GTx when prices fall further so I can push Fallout 3.

Last edited:
I built my shoe-string gaming pc a couple months back, when my last pc could not run Crysis. I went with an Asus 580i MB with SLI, nVidia 7800GT(PCI-express), 3gb ram-PC2 5400, 4 sata hard drives (2 terrabytes), LG DVD burner, and a knock-off Alienware look alike case off Newegg, XP Sp3 and Intel Core Duo E4300 (because of its extreme overclockability).
I can build a pretty decent gamer box in the $1000 range (video cards are the biggest issue) but every so often I just step up and build a "big" box for home..

I have an AMD 3200 with 4G memory and I think a pair of 7800SLI cards for a backup (water cooled system) that thumps right along and it was under $1000 (sans watercooling)

The biggest issue I have is "ambient" temps in my computer room.. get a couple big guns running and it runs into the high 70's and low 80's in a heartbeat...

My power just dimmed was that you? Thats awesome set up you have there! DROOL!
that is why the MB was going back.. it was DOA and pulling 2000w on startup... must have had issues :whistle: (was dimming the lights in the room)

I went with AMD this time so I could check out the MB... http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?modelmenu=1&model=2097&l1=3&l2=149&l3=646&l4=0

and then there is this feature:

01.gif
Express Gate™
Instant Internet Access without Entering Windows!
With only 5 seconds boot-up time, the ASUS Express Gate™ allows you to instantly surf the Internet without entering Windows or the Hard Disk. You can now enjoy Skype, IM, YouTube, webmail and internet file downloads and sharing whenever and wherever you want!
* File downloading and uploading on USB drives only.
** The actual boot time is subject to hardware configurations and product models

Last edited:
Im gonna build a HTPC here soon. Shooting for around $300-400 bucks total. Thinking an Athlon X2 BE-2400 CPU the 45watt version (atleast I think its 45W) for $28 bucks gigabyte mobo. 2 gigs of ram. The big money will be with the harddrive as I will need lots of space to store ALL my DVD and blu-ray movies! Most of all it needs to be silent!

Last edited:
Hmmm I have been using a lot of ATX SFF boxes (Shuttle) for HTPC.. quiet, small and pretty versatile... not very good at add-on cards however.. (only 2 slots)

I prefer Intel CPU's as they run cooler as a rule (less fan noise) but the Shuttle does a nice job with "heat pipe" cooling..

Hey Randy,.........ALL of THAT just to jack into DAIL-UP???? :laugh: Nice box of toys you have there!! Now,.....is this for work? Or play???:poke:

Well I am building a gaming pc for my girl this winter, so she can play Bioshock. Now who wants to sell me parts for the low. I used to be a big AMD fan so feel free to keep me in mind. :thumbsup:

Hey Randy,.........ALL of THAT just to jack into DAIL-UP???? :laugh: Nice box of toys you have there!! Now,.....is this for work? Or play???:poke:
I like to play a few first person games (maybe 2 times a month) so figure may as well have something with good frame rates :) the flight sims are what really take a lot of processor.. my old box might have 100 hours of use on it but I get a budget to buy new stuff for myself so what the heck...

Back