Any Army/Military members

kinghomeboy

Registered
hellol everyone i dont knwo if this could count as a place to put this but im seeking some advice...w/in the next mont me and a friend are enlistin in the Army...now i have the oportunity to be a combat medic i believe and also i can do an eod *explosive ordinance disposal* now wat i'd liek to know is if any1 here is any of thsoe, and also if any1 is a ranger/airborne, my second request would be can any1 lend advice to lose lots of weight...it'll be next summer b4 my basic*still in school* and i was wantin to loose some weight i have a bit of a stomach not much but still enough that losin it would help and i do need to lose it accordin to the recruiter so any advice would be helpful thanks much

I was EOD in 1979-1883 USAF.
To lose weight cut calories to 1200 a day and do a moderate exercise program. You should consult your doctor. I would suggest a physical and tell the Doc what you are planning.

Hey brother, I'm in the Marines, but I had the same issues with weight before I joinied up. Just cut out all the fast food and do some running and you'll be good to go.... as far as the MOS part... I've been on a couple of convoys, and I've also seen the EOD bubbas in actioin... looked like tons of fun but be prepared for some hella long days.... as for the combat medic part... my little brother (whos in the Army) told me that they are pretty much just a EMT... good luck with what ever you choose!!!:beerchug:

I dont have any probs with weight but my buddy did just drink water and epson salt and youll drop the weight lol

I would suggest EOD. You'll have better/faster promotion oportunities. Every EOD that I know loves what they do. They're a proud tight group that takes care of each other. As far as losing some weight I'd suggest that keep your meals clean. Keep simple carbs to a minimum (sodas, white bread, 3 or 4 Gatorades a day, etc.) the best time for you to consume this type of carbs would right after exercise. Eat a good amount of protein during the day and you'll see changes in your body. Don't go into any crazy diet. As far as exercicing make sure running is a big part of your workout, Airborne school is crazy happy about running. You even run to the chowhall. Do Pull-ups, its something that you need to be able to do to pass ABN School. And finaly don't forget about your push ups and sit ups. Work on proper form more than anything. I hope this helps.

o wow thanks guys this'll be loads of help and yes i think i am plannin on eod thinkin on it just seems like it'd be fun maybe long but fun and if they are a tight group of ppl thats a plus i like that lol again thanks to yall for the ideas on how to cut the weight down and all...always some1 on this site that can help a guy out when he needs it :p

Make sure you have some sort of job guarantee or contract otherwise you'll end up infantry or foodservice.
Regarding weightloss... Just keep it simple, cut back on your meal portions and do some running everyday. Long slow distance type of running will get that fat cooked off.

Make sure you have some sort of job guarantee or contract otherwise you'll end up infantry or foodservice.
Regarding weightloss... Just keep it simple, cut back on your meal portions and do some running everyday. Long slow distance type of running will get that fat cooked off.

+1 on the contract....
The recruiter is gonna tell you what you wanna hear. But make sure that what you want to hear is also included in the paperwork that you sign. If its not on the paper it dosent exist. Dont sign until you get what you want. Would you settle for a busa if the dealership said it only came with 2 cylinders and one tire?..:beerchug:

+1

Guaranteed job, a job you can use when you get out.

Eat less, run and lift weights…it’s all in your mind whether you want it or not.

I've been in the Army for about 4 years now. I initially came in as a lab tech which was great for those people that like to work in a hospital and not really do a lot of the Army type stuff. It didn't take long for me to realize that I needed a change. I decided to try out for Special Forces and that's what I'm doing now. If you really want to do things like airborne and Ranger, then being a medic would open up more opportunities. Promotions are relatively easy and bonuses are normally pretty fat. EOD does have good enlistment bonuses but promotions go stagnant after 5. Also, if you don't make it through EOD school, you go to the needs of the Army. My friend didn't make it and he now works on radios. The medic course is an awesome course. You learn a good bit and get to spend 4 months in San Antonio for training. They also have opportunities to expand like getting your LPN cert or even coming out here to NC to attend the Special Operations Medic Training. As you can see, I'm partial to the medic thing. Hope this helps. If you have any questions hit me up.

You cant go wrong with the medical field... plent of opportunaties there in and out of the service. Like those said above though... MAKE SURE YOUR CONTRACT SAYS WHAT JOB YOU WANT. If it doesnt, they will give you what ever job they want when you finish basic. Good luck!! :thumbsup: :beerchug:

If you haven't taken your ASVAB, do yourself a favor and pick up an ASVAB study guide. It will teach you some strategies to maximize your score.

yea i already took my asvab i scored 78 woot lol...thanks for the extra advice guys i'll be sure to keep all this in mind when i look over tthe paperworkd and stuff and definitly gonna do the exercisin stuff

With either of those MOSs you will be very busy. Combat medic course is tough and will have you in school for close to a year. Don't know much about the EOD schooling, but in either case I think you would be very marketable which is why the bonuses are so nice.

Pick a field that you can transfer your skills the Army teaches you into a civilian profession. Put every penny in the GI bill you can to pay for college. What I like about the Army (retiring next week after 25 years) is to watch young people MAKE SOMETHING OF THEIR LIVES using the Army as a tool (win/win). Having said that, and knowing several ranking Sr. Officers in both EOD and Medical fields - I'd say your best choice of the two would be Medic. Having said that, I'm an Armor Officer; and making the big gun go boom rocks my world :bowdown:

cuz first off the army will help w/ my college and plus the army will teach me alot of things about life so yea and i do want to serve for this country

Back