Any RN's out there?

Zoinks!

Registered
I'm thinking about changing professions and I'm seriously considering going to nursing school to be an RN. I'm wondering if anyone knows what kind of salary I could expect. I was looking at the websites for the hospitle systems around here, but they only list the job and hours; none have the salary. I don't have any experience, however I would obviously be going to school before doing any serious job searching.

yeah love being a r.n. the best thing is helping people that are afraid of the uncertain. the money is good to. being a respiratory therapist is cool to!!! there are many jobs in hospitals you can look at...salary.com and that's a low ball estimate of pay.

yeah love being a r.n. the best thing is helping people that are afraid of the uncertain. the money is good to. being a respiratory therapist is cool to!!! there are many jobs in hospitals you can look at...salary.com and that's a low ball estimate of pay.

Thanks for the info! I'm not 100% sure on what exactly I want to do, but I think I've pretty much decided to do something in the medical field. My only thing is, I don't wanna spend more than 4 years in school if I can help it. I'm 21 and I really don't want to still be in school when I'm 30. But I really like the idea of helping people and I think I have a good personality for it. I have really good people skills and usually can make people happy. The money is looking pretty nice too. I'd like a doctor's salary, but as I stated before I don't want to be in school that long.

Im pretty shocked by the salary as well. Perhaps I'll look into this to! Greenville Tech offers a course. Lots of women in the RN classes should be fun!

Yea, I knew greenville tech did, and I knew it was pretty good money. That's part of the reason I started looking at it. I want/need something that pays better than what I'm doing now. I don't have a wife or girlfriend right now, but when the day comes to start a family I don't want my wife to have work so I want to start working on that goal. And I'd like to be able have a little more "play with" money till I do have a family. I don't like the idea of going back to school, but I can deal with it to grant myself a better job/life. Of course, as you mentioned, the women in class will definitely be a plus! Much better than the sausage fest of the Automotive Technology program I have a degree from right now!

U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
job projections for your area, salaries, growth, and other great info.
Good luck no matter what you choose. My advice is make sure you go to a RN school so you will be eligible to take the N-clex (mispelled?). There are alot of bogus schools out there that only want your money

I'm in RN school right now. I go to Victor Valley College (my local Junior College) and it is accredited for the N-CLEX testing and Associate Degrees in Nursing.

OK. Local hospital starting salaries: $28/hr. And most likely after the 1st year, you should expect $30+/hr. My aunt has been an RN for 2 1/2 years already and is pulling close to $40/hr. But she works NICU (neonatal intensive care unit). So no margin of error is expected!! Usual schedule is 4/10's: four days a week for ten hours a day. Lots of overtime opportunity as well.

Classes/pre requsites? General or Human Biology, Human Anatomy, Human Physiology, Chemistry, Microbiology, Patient Assessment, Pharmacology or Clinical Pharmacology, and all the typical undergraduate requirments your particualr institution expects you to take. After that, it's 2 years, or 4 semesters of:

Nursing Process I (NP I) + clinicals

NP II + clinicals/skills lab
NP III + clinicals/skills lab
NP IV + clinicals and skills lab

Last edited:
I just read the BLM stats. seems like the local hospitals near me are right in-line with the reports with what starting pay is and what my aunt is currently making. Another thing to consider is to get a Bachelor's of Science in Nursing after completing ADN/RN school, working for a while, then doing the RN to BSN transition. You'll have many more career/salary opportunities open right up.

Also, Nurse Practitioners make VERY GOOD salaries. You can even open your own practice and treat patients like a regular MD would. expect at least 6 digit figures and a higher work/stress load. But the benefits of helping people and having your own practice far outweigh the cons. I plan going the NP route eventually.

That stuff would run me down QUICK! I've got a lot of respect for peeps in the medical profession!:thumbsup::bowdown:

:beerchug: thanx dude. not quite there yet myself, but soon will be. Wait till my instructors and future employers find out I do trackdays and clubrace monthly LOL! they're gonna FLIP! But my young female classmates definitely dig it! But I'm married soooo.......

Last edited:
:thumbsup:Good on you if you are the kind of person to do this kind of work. My wife has been an RN for 14 years and I can tell you it takes a special kind of person to do it. I would have to say that it is a calling along the lines of the ministry. Good luck!:beerchug:

Thanks for the good wishes guys. I'm starting to think more and more that this the direction I want to go in. I know I want something in medical, I was just lookin on that burou of labor statistics page and something else I might be interested in is Anesthesiology. I'll have to look into that as well. I don't know what all is involved in that. Probably a lot more schooling and things like that, so I don't know. But I'll figure it out. I'm also gonna have to figure out how I can go back to school and still make enough money during school to keep the busa, cause I'm not sellin it!

There are schools that will take a registered rn into their Anesthesiology program. None in OK but I know there are some in TX. Excuse the spelling but grads from these programs are called nurse anethetists.

I wonder if there are programs that pay for your schooling and you work under them under contract for a year or so...Also can you become a rn in 2 years? Ive been wanting to be a nurse for quite sone time...Im 28, its time to start a career!

Last edited:
I wonder if there are programs that pay for your schooling and you work under them under contract for a year or so...Also can you become a rn in 2 years? Ive been wanting to be a nurse for quite sone time...Im 28, its time to start a career!

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe the RN course at greenville tech is a 2 year program. The only thing I don't know is I'm not sure if all the preregs I'll probably need to take will take up more time, or if it's all incorporated. My dad now works there as an instructor in the dental hygenest (sp?) program so he's gonna get me all the info on their RN programs.

Good luck with this. My wife has a year left in her (B.S.N.) Bachelors of Nursing Degree. She's attending the Texas A&M College of Nursing program and loves it! If you want it stick with it! It will be rewarding!!! :thumbsup:

Back