Automotive car question???

Fate

Donating Member
Registered
Ok, got a used car I bought recently. It is a 95 Chrysler Concorde. It is in really good shape and runs good. Seems to shift good most of the time. Has been a lttle sluggish in 1st when cold, shifted hard a couple times. I figgured might need to change trans filter and fluid. Well, the thing that puzzles me, I heard a weird noise today. It sounded like a grinding sound similiar to when a manual misses a gear, or the sound antilock brakes made in older cars when they engaged. I held the brake down and gave it a little gas in gear. it made the noise but did not seem to torque down or slip. It did it while driving after going from the brake to gas quick with little gas down. Thinking it might be antilock brake related, trans does not feel like it slips, got any ideas???

Those cars are notorious for transmission problems. Good luck. It may be as simple as fluid replacement or as bad as transmission replacement.

Sounds like the plantary gear or the sun gear is grinding on you. its that or the acumlator valave does not have enough line pressure to fully lock the trans in gear.. take it to a trans shop and have it looked it.

It has been leaking a small amount of trans fluid, it still shifts good and is not slipping, past owner said it leaked and he added some sealant crap. Might need fluid changed asap. Went to a mobil station and they use a machine to get fluid out and new in and don't change filter, don't like that idea much...I don't plan to keep it long, bought it really cheap and plan to sell it. Don't want next buyer to have issue, so I would like to fix first.

Sounds like the plantary gear or the sun gear is grinding on you. its that or the acumlator valave does not have enough line pressure to fully lock the trans in gear.. take it to a trans shop and have it looked it.

If it was the planatary gear and or sungear, wouldn't it do it all the time, only does it at start and under low pressure, 1st gear and hardly any gas? Just wondering, I am not that knowlegeable in these things, the acumlator would make sense though if it is not allowing enough pressure, plus with the additive the guy put in it may have changed the density of the fluid maybe???

I also heard something about a "limp mode" (man this is going to cause a commotion).... I googled the problem and it seems these transmissions have huge issues with additives and the fluid needing changed. I need to find a place that flushes the system and changes filter. Is there a way to flush the system fully if I change the fluid myself???

Thats what it is!!! You gotta get some of these little Blue Pills and put 'em in your tank. That sucker with push right in there! :laugh:

It has been leaking a small amount of trans fluid, it still shifts good and is not slipping, past owner said it leaked and he added some sealant crap. Might need fluid changed asap. Went to a mobil station and they use a machine to get fluid out and new in and don't change filter, don't like that idea much...I don't plan to keep it long, bought it really cheap and plan to sell it. Don't want next buyer to have issue, so I would like to fix first.

First of all, stop leak and things like it are about the WORST thing you can possibly do to an automatic trans. The channels in the valve body are so small that things like that will stop it up and cause issues. You also need to check the fluid level. That can cause "cold only" issues. Make sure you check it with the engine running, and trans hot. I'd take it to a dealer cause if it's a common problem there's probably a TSB out on it and they may know exactly what it is right off hand.

Well, had trans flushed and new filter installed. found out it was common problem with these cars. It was the transmission solenoid. It has screens in it. the filter was really nasty and the screens were clogged. Damn Chryslers have weird problems.

Back