Your thoughts on aftermath of IKE

captain

Dis in my way!
Staff member
Administrator
So let me start out by saying this.... As far as I have heard there were plenty of busses and free transportation out of the path of this hurricane. Things were orderly and hundreds of thousands of people moved out of the way of the hurricane....

Now let's talk about those 20,000 folks that refused to heed the warning and stayed in Texas in the path of IKE.

Weather forcasters, government officials the media all made sure that the seriousness of the situation was told to all. Warnings included putting your name and SS# on your forearm so your body could be identified. Weather forcasters told of water and a storm surge that had never been seen in that area... It was on TV, Radio, the Internet days before it happenned...

After the hurricane has come and gone I keep reading these stories of the coast guard, police and fire that are going door to door checking on the people that CHOSE! to ride it out....

I was thinking that we should send a bill to every person that had to be rescued or we had to spend 1$ on that stayed...

Those folks because they just couldnt believe that it was going to be that bad are now putting a tole on the emergency responders...

Send em a bill I say.......

What do you guys think? If you have a different opinion let me hear it. I made my decision based off the information I have, you may have something more than I do that would sway me to change my mind.

Cap

i agree 1000% captain, beig in florida i know how serious these storms can be. The people that stayed should have to pay for their actions. I know people think that they can somehow make their home safer by staying, but when a storm that serious comes at you, you need to listen to the professionals. just my opinion of course.:poke: :poke: :poke:

Absolutely agree, make them pay for services. Now the rescuers have to endanger themselves to rescue the selfish and stupid.

I agree fully. I have been keeping an eye on these storms every minute. I would not risk my families life if Ike would have turned and came this way, I would have hit the road. I feel bad for the loss of property and damages suffered by the people effected by this storm. I am sad for the loss of life, but they should have left. The technology these days is awesome!!! We know for a week or so ahead of time where these storms could hit. Tornadoes can pop out of anywhere and cause huge damage, but hurricanes??? The idiots that stay put this on themselves.

+1 bazillion! We don't get Much in the way of Hurricanes or tornadoes up here in the great northwest but all I can think of in these situations is the morons who ignored warnings that Mt. St. Helen's was going to erupt back in 1980! most of whom met a swift and horrible end.

Man has this been a bad year for man VS nature or what? Floods, wildfires, Tornado's, Hurricanes, Earthquakes, Draughts. Maybe Ma Nature is trying to tell us something?

For me the kicker is the emercency personell.... Why should they be required to go hunting in flooded areas for people that made a choice to be there...

I read a story this morning about a couple that overslept on Friday and they decided to just ride the storm out vs. evacuate... talk about a lack of understanding or common sense....

If there are folks in the flooded areas that for some reason couldnt get out, I mean they went into a diabetic coma and woke up when the storm was there then by all means lets go get em.. not a cop or firefighter around would want anything less than to help a person that truly needs it....

I agree completely with you Captain. and this comes from someone who STAYS during hurricanes. If you live in a low lying area or a place where MANDATORY evacuation is issued, around here, they come to your door and ask for a phone number of your next of kin.

Before Katrina hit, they made it clear to these people that under NO CIRCUMSTANCES would the rescue personnel be out helping people until after the storm passed. They told people if they chose to stay they should notify their next of kin.

People need to start taking responsibility to for themselves and not expecting the handout or someone else to risk their neck to save them. People who live in hurrican regions are WELL aware of the dangers... and the ones who say they aren't... well they deserve what they get.

I totaly agree Cap., as a member of the law enforcement comunity I was going to be forced to send my wife and two sons away so I could stay back here and work to save these hard headed stuborn people who think "ah it aint gonna be that bad!" Till theyre up to thier arm pits in water! Or laying under what use to be their house! Corpus dodged a big one with storm but we may not be as lucky next time and hopefully people will remember and learn from this. You would have thought the memory Katrena would be enough! Regardles, I'll be here risking my neck to save yours!

I can understand your meaning but I have this feeling that even if all that were able too did evacuate, emergency personnel would still be put in the position of grave danger. Considering the sheer size of IKE and effected areas and the danger, there would still have been a need for brave individuals to check for the ones that couldn't or were unable to leave. No not an excuse for the dummies that decided to stay and surely would only make rescue efforts that much worse. The fact remains rescue or no rescue, brave emergency personnel (bless them) make the decision to face the dangers and put themselves in those positions and then theres no guarantees, without checking things out-how would you ever know for sure. As far as the dummies go-are they to blame for the rescue workers dangers?, do they make it that much worse?,yes. Just let them herd-up on a man-made highway overpass island,someone will get to them eventually..

I agree completely. If they stay, they are on their own until evacuees are allowed back in. Then allow them to receive emergency and rescue services. Still not completely fair to those who left, but moving in the direction of fair.

I agree with ya completely. :thumbsup: Heck present them with a bill before you haul their anus off the roof top :laugh::beerchug:

I TOTALLY agree...especially when in recent history we have had Hurricanes that have wiped places off the map. You would think they would have taken things more seriously. Even if it was "only a catagory 2"...it was still going to be bad. HELLO...you are at sea level, if not below it...morons...

On top of billing them, revoke their breeding license!:rulez:

I agree completely with most of you, they knew well ahead of time of the size of this storm. Bill them accordingly for any services which they may require. I have an old saying that seems to fit here: "poor planning on your part does not necessarily create an emergency on my part"

I have no sympathy for those that stayed, nor do I think we should foot the bill for all the people that are now out there looking for them.

Like at the store..."you break you buy" it should be the same....." You stay, you pay"

I cant believe how stupid some people really are!
They had plenty of time to leave or seek proper shelter, there just idiots!
I think that the people that survived and stayed shouldn't have any pity on them, it was there choice to stay.
As for charging them, yes i think that would be in line, if you get hurt under normal situations, and need an ambulance, thats not free!
So charge the hell out of them!

there is 100% no reason what so ever people could not leave. SOme say there are those with medical conditions that prevented them from leaving.. Folks during Katrina we went down a few days earily and we went into homes and removed people on home vents, or on other various meidcal equipment.. We transported 9 people to higher ground. Hung out till the storm was over ( scared the stew out of me) then went and pulled those out of their houses. I hope those who foolishly chose to stay are doing well.

Back