Mountain Bike Purchase - Input needed

V-Max 2 Busa

Registered
I'm looking into purchasing a new mountain bike to get some extensive exercise and have some crazy fun. I started looking today and let me tell you there are a LOT of options/styles available and not having any knowledge about the frames, components, shocks, gears, shifters, wheels, etc. it all became a bit overwhelming (especially when talkin with a salesperson and comapring several different models, years etc. not to mention prices), at this point I'm just trying to determine a good entry level bike for a begining rider so I was hoping that some of you here are into this hobby and could offer some good advise/direction, any specific brand, model, or components to stear clear of? I'm considering a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp or Elite, any thoughts?

You guys oughta like this, I asked the salesman about the strange lookin pedals on the bikes so he walked me over to whole other department to show me the special required shoes that hold the special clips that fit those strange pedals and I thought.... Ah Hah!!! I know where this is goin, Gear! Hey I think I've been here before.:laugh:

Last edited:
Gene, i ride a FSR right now and have been knocking out about 60 to 100 miles a week for years now

the specialized is an outstanding ride and the best bike i have had yet. The componets specialized uses are top notch but i would go for the hydrolic disk brakes and stay away fromn the cable actuated disk, they feel wooden.

as far as size of the bike they run in small, med., large, and x-large, im 6ft tall and prefer the medium size cause its easier to flick around on the single track trails.

Specialized is defentely not cheap in price but it will stand up to many miles of trails

make sure you ride the bike around in the parking lot before you commit to a particular size bike and make sure it fits right, im thinking a medium is your size

Last edited:
also Gene what ever you decied dont skimp on suspension, that is, plenty of travel up front, and a rear shock that has some rebound, comp., and slow, and fast mod on the shock as well, that means that on climbs with it set to fast, it wont squat as much when you pedal and some shocks even have lockout where you can just make the shock rigid so it wont move at all.

Whatever you do just get a full suspension bike for sure, they make all the difference on the trail compared to a hard tail bike

i had a specialized FSR Enduro comp when i used to live in Colorado it was about $1800 i wish i had never sold that thing about 6 years ago. full suspension judy rock shock front forgot what i had in the rear but it had a good 4inches of travel.

heres my FSR

new bike-2.jpg

You should shop around other shops and try different bikes before you commit to any one brand. Most shops will have demos you can try. It's right around that time of year when they are selling off those demos too. You might be able to get a good deal on one.

Not to steer you away from Specialized.......
My current XC bike is an Epic Expert with many upgrades and my old DH was a Demo8 before I broke the frame.
They have a great warranty!!

epic 003.JPG

Last edited:
Best advice I can give is find one that fits you well and ride it before buying it to make sure it fits your standards. If you are tight on funds get as much bike as you can and you can always upgrade parts.

I started out with a Gary Fisher genesis (hardtail), added rims and hydraulic brakes later, then replaced stem and bars, someday may upgrade my crankset. When I decide to get a new one I will strip those parts off and most likely look more at a great frame, add my components and have an even better ride.

Specialized FSR bikes have been around for years and have been improved upon a lot through those years. Specialized makes great bikes (I've had 3 so far), and as with all things quality isn't cheap. You can count on close to $2000 for a mid level squishy bike, but if you plan on riding a lot, it'll be worth every penny. Old bicycle saying, "buy cheap, buy twice". Another fact dealing with all things bicycle (frames, components, wheels, etc..), "strong, light, cheap,.. pick any two".
Welcome to the world of anaerobic thresholds and lactic acid burn, your gonna love it.:thumbsup:

Thanks for all the input guys, thought I had my mind pretty much made up until walkin into another bike shop today and seeing the Trek bikes, pretty aggressive lookin machines. Still think I'll go with the Specialized, this is the one I'm considering, it's the 08 model.

9383-41_l.jpg

You guys oughta like this, I asked the salesman about the strange lookin pedals on the bikes so he walked me over to whole other department to show me the special required shoes that hold the special clips that fit those strange pedals and I thought.... Ah Hah!!! I know where this is goin, Gear! Hey I think I've been here before.:laugh:

Those "strange lookin' pedals" are gonna take a minute to get used to. Be prepared to totally ungracefully, fall over, trapped in you pedals a few times. It's part of the "clipless pedal" learning curve. When I first started using them I once fell over in the middle of a creek and ended up with moss all over me. The guys I was riding with :rofl:ed.
But soon, if you ride a lot, you catch youself clicking out of your Busa pegs and your car's gas pedal. Clipless pedals can be frustrating at first but you'll get it quick and find the're the only way to fly.

One of my toys. Steel Bianchi hardtail, full XTR (except for Tru-Vativ crank), Easton post, stem, & bar, Selle Italia SLR saddle, Time pedals, Mavic/Hutchinson tubeless wheels/tires, Bomber air fork..

Mountain Bike 2-28-04 004 (Custom).jpg

Last edited:
I've bought 3 Specialized bikes until I finally bought my Enduro Pro with more mods than I could mention. Plan to spend several hundred to a few thousand to get what you want but don't be pressured into spending more than you want. Get the bike you want for now and when you really get into it and if you stay into it you will know buy then all the trick parts and options that you want and can make your second bike your dream bike. I,ve been riding for 10 yrs and love. Hope you do too! Good luck with the knew hobby.:thumbsup:

ya know that road we like so much at sly park? well theres a awesome single track trail around the lake to so now we have another reason to go up there:cheerleader:

there aint a trail i dont know around here so when your ready holler and we can hit some single track

Back