Review of Burger King's new Mac-N-Cheese

WWJD

Donating Member
Registered
First, my background as a qualified reviewer of American Macaroni and Cheese dinners. I was raised middle class, in the midwest where lunches or dinners consisted of things from cans or boxes. Kraft Mac and Cheese was the top of the line for me in childhood. Oh, there were those weird over priced, esoteric designer versions from Mrs. This or some italian named that, but even on those rare occasions when we could convince mom to spend the extra quarter for the fancy stuff, it's flavor never did excite the taste buds like the falvor of that orange, powered Kraft cheese mixed with too much butter, some milk, and nice soft noodle with the boiled water carefully strained out.

Enter the new millenia where dinners are nuked, or "Cupped" or bought in bag form, and a wide variety of restauraunts offer mac and cheese as a side item. For me, flavor wise, Kraft is still top of the line. It is not expensive, or really special, but I simply enjoy the taste of it. Local grocery store deli mac-n-cheese and only equal or below the government surplus special mac-n-cheese they serve randomly at schools. KFC is a nice departure, but has it's own unique flavor of cheese mixed in. There's a decent tasting side item usually for kids, at LONE STAR STEAKHOUSE I have taken a shine too when dining there... they look at me funny for a moment, then realise I seriously DO want to order the kid's mac-n-cheese as a side dish and bring it out, steamy hot and gooey. YUM!

Now, Burger King is adding the side item of mac-n-cheese... say, was that a kid's item? I drove past the lighted menu too quickly to notice. And I didn't care. If they sell it, they would sell it to me. I must try it.

Off topic, has anyone else noticed the recent diversivication of fast food joints? Burger joints selling tacos, Subway selling Pizzas, Dominoes making baked sandwhiches.... I think it is getting out of control. How long until all food establishments sell exactly the same menu items? Maybe it's just my annoyance.

Anyway, I ordered my Burger King Mac-n-cheese for like $1.69 or so - I wasn't paying attention to the price. The picture looked like a small hand sized bucket, over flowing with that wonderful pasta-like cheese dish. Seeing that, I assumed the reality would be a shot glass sized, two bite gulpage. I was pleasantly surprised to see the container WAS decent sized as reflected in the color enhanced 4 foot poster. The container was maybe slightly shorter, but that was forgivable.

Long story short [skipping the time and story about the trip accross town to be greeted by a locked door, and pulling into a convenience store parking lot to eat] my mac-n-cheese had been sitting in the bag for around 20 mintues before I had gotten too it. [it's a small town to cross... shaddup!] After swiping a spoon from the convenience store, since BK had so thoughtless forgot to pack one in for me, I popped the top and examined the M&C.

The noodles appeared almost exactly like the boxed Kraft version, and perhaps that was the marketing ploy they were aiming for. Luckily it was still warm, but mine looked like it had sat on the heat shelf a few minutes past due. The cheese was more caked than runny, and that is not always bad - just depends on your mood and desired texture. Digging in with the spood, it was clear it had solidified somewhat as a larger than spoon club dislodged and came out. Never the less, the spoon was small and it all fit in my mouth. The result? Fast food Mac-N-Cheese that is completely liveable. I give it a 7 out of 10 considering it was instant gratification while driving around instead of 30 minutes of making at home. It was not the best, but it was completely acceptable and I enjoyed every bite. I will buy it again. The cheese flavor was not Kraft, but it was god enough for a quick grab through a drive through window.

Will the next one be smoother and creamier? I hope so because that would make it all the more appealing. Yet, even in it's slightly dried up form, I would safely recommend it to my fellow Mac-N-Cheese connoisseur.

** On review of this pic, I discovered it IS KRAFT based mac-n-cheese, which explains the resemblance.
2674404425_9f02e45c0c.jpg

now that was post of the day... (I too am a mac 'N' cheese addict) also agree the standard by which all other are judged... KRAFT!!

I tried the "Velveeta" version... will not color any future reviews with my thoughts on "their" version :rofl:

:rofl::rofl: your running out of topics to discuss, aren't you!!!!

...yes... yes I am. :) I need to add some kind of interesting twist or controversy to it....

...MAC AND CHEESE IS MADE OUT OF PEOPLE!!!!!
soylent_green.jpg

I rarely eat at BK, but mac & cheese rocks. Still don't think I'll be going thru their drive-thru anytime soon.

I can get cases and cases of frozen 10 oz pouches of Kraft M&C. Just pierce the pouch and nuke for about 30 seconds. Not the same as "homemade" from the box, but pretty tasty.

Glad to know it is a 7 out of 10. I love the stuff, and having a 5 year old kid that would live on it if we let him, this will help out in a pinch.

I must say though, up until recently I put Kraft as the standard all should strive for as well. Then I had some Homestyle Mac-n-Cheese at busawife's favorite place (McMenamins) and it was so freaking good. It's on the kids menu, well was, and the thought we were crazy at first, but now it's a regular entree.

I'm a simple one. I grew up on mac & cheese, and hot dogs. I think I'll pick some up on the way home from work now.

:rofl: This topic...WWJD, you've fallen prey to moral decay man!! Step away from the mac-n-cheez :poke:

Glad to know it is a 7 out of 10. I love the stuff, and having a 5 year old kid that would live on it if we let him, this will help out in a pinch.

Don't forget, just cuz *I* gave it a 7 of 10 doesn't mean you'll like it. :D Anyway, worth trying for the fun of it. Even though the price is equal to 3 full servings of KRAFT boxed M&C :)

For reference, on MY taste buds, green beans taste like poo, and red wine tastes like skunk

:rofl: This topic...WWJD, you've fallen prey to moral decay man!! Step away from the mac-n-cheez :poke:

I FIRMLY believe Mac&Cheese caused the downfall of the Roman empire and also turned Judas to Satan.

Mac&Cheese is my private demon as well :D

But, for the love of God, do NOT add TUNA to my Mac&Cheese! YEEECH!!!!!

ok so is there any "legal" additive to Mac&Cheese? (and I had it for dinner last night)

Back