Spies will not get a Suzuki MotoGP ride

I hear they really want him in WSBK either at Suzuki or Ducati Xerox too whcih wouldn't suck but still a bit of a let down!

I think he'll only go to WSBK is he can't get any MotoGP ride. He really wants in at MotoGP. He's definately gonna have to take a pay cut though.

sounds like he wanted a bit too much $$ from the factory? not sure how all that works but seems someone else would want his talents?

that's too bad b/c AMA officially announced him as the 08 Superbike Champ. Maybe a stint on WSBK machinery wouldn't be bad. I think his style is more suited to WSBK anywayz.

did you say..."Vermeulen"..as in "Chris"?...resigned?...cause if you did..

shoei4.jpg

stock in my shoei X11 keeps go'in up and up! :laugh:

L8R, Bill. :cool:

All the stuff I have been reading is that it will "most likely" be a Satellite Honda squad he would wind up on. Either Jir Scot or Gresini. If I had to pick one of those I would lean towards Gresini's squad. Fausto Gresini is now getting factory support for Shinya Nakano's bike and I would think it would be somewhat of a coup for Honda to take Spies away from Suzuki. This is not the first article I have read hinting at a major US backer (?) behind such a deal for Spies. I am somewhat stupified by Suzuki's willingness to let him get away, if that is indeed what happened. The man handed them 3 championships (4 if you count his Superstock title last year) in a row and they simply Bid him farewell. I am not so sure??? I could be wrong but I think Suzuki may still have something in the works. Might be wishful thinking but I'll know next weekend.

One side note I just read that Ducati Xerox are close to locking a deal with Haga. So that would close yet another door that had been open if Spies went to WSBK.

This is so much more interesting than all the political blather going right niow.:rofl:

I figure Spies is out :whistle: because Suzuki will be out of US RACING (a Factory Team anyway) next year. Leaving SBK; and politically I doubt Spies has the clout just yet over there ??? . Europe is another animal and a really CLOSED loop for outsiders. You just have to really work your way in, and maybe Spies can. If so, MotoGp is probably in his future :thumbsup:

Doesn't appear that Gresini wants to afford Spies' salary ( Soup :: Spies On A Wing? Not A Prayer :: 08-27-2008 ), Suzuki doesn't want him in MotoGP, and the Anti-freeze Duc is out, so it's looking like young Ben is out of a job. Shows how much clout AMA racing doesn't carry.
Looks like he may have to swallow his pride, take a pay cut, and maybe someone will pick him up.

Last edited:
On their own neither Honda squad could afford his salary. But that is where the major US Backer would theoretically come in. There will surely be some alienated US sponsors willing to back Bona fide American talent on the world stage after the BS DMG has ladeled onto US roadracing recently.

Doesn't appear that Gresini wants to afford Spies' salary ( Soup :: Spies On A Wing? Not A Prayer :: 08-27-2008 ), Suzuki doesn't want him in MotoGP, and the Anti-freeze Duc is out, so it's looking like young Ben is out of a job. Shows how much clout AMA racing doesn't carry.
Looks like he may have to swallow his pride, take a pay cut, and maybe someone will pick him up.

My advice to him is take a pay cut and get on the most competitive MotoGP machinery/team that will take him.

He can always make more money later. Otherwise he loses another year of experience on MotoGP bikes and tracks.

Think big picture Ben.

AMA has had NO Clout anywhere but here. That's why it's so hard for an American to enter the European Racing Tour. Unless he can bring BIG BUCKS along to a Team, an American has Little to NO Chance of breaking in. Which is really interesting because we're the Worlds Largest Market Place :thumbsup: . Although our TV coverage centers MAINLY around NASCAR only for motor racing of any kind. Look at F1, just 3 races on the MAIN networks with a very little audience compaired to NASTY-CAR. That's sad :down:, but just shows what the Average American Likes. That is, anything above the 6th grade level is just tooooooooo much to think about and Waaaaaaaaaay Tooooooo technical :laugh:.

That is, anything above the 6th grade level is just tooooooooo much to think about and Waaaaaaaaaay Tooooooo technical :laugh:.

you mean 5th grade! that's why we have shows like "Are you Smarter Than a 5th grader?" apparently, much of the American public only has education equal to a 5th grader. :rofl:

Nicky Hayden was a classic example of this. Honda and Dorna wanted American talent in MotoGP because we were so poorly represented there. When Kevin Schwantz and Wayne Rainey were no longer there they had little draw for American fans, how many people really noticed when Kenny Junior won his championship? Dorna knows the US is a key market for them. They want (need) an American challenging for race wins to maintain credibility. When Nicky went to MotoGP so did a lot of the money American Honda had earmarked for its racing programs here. Did you notice that shortly after this the entire Honda AMA Superbike team was taken in house instead of being supported by HRC any longer? I think that finances were the key driver there. I wonder where those funds will go when Nicky leaves for Ducati?

AMA has had NO Clout anywhere but here. That's why it's so hard for an American to enter the European Racing Tour. Unless he can bring BIG BUCKS along to a Team, an American has Little to NO Chance of breaking in. Which is really interesting because we're the Worlds Largest Market Place :thumbsup: . Although our TV coverage centers MAINLY around NASCAR only for motor racing of any kind. Look at F1, just 3 races on the MAIN networks with a very little audience compaired to NASTY-CAR. That's sad :down:, but just shows what the Average American Likes. That is, anything above the 6th grade level is just tooooooooo much to think about and Waaaaaaaaaay Tooooooo technical :laugh:.

Makes no sense to me. Capirossi is 35 yerars old w/ the longest career in MotoGP - started on 125s, but his career will be ending soon.

You have Ben, 24 years old & taking the U.S. by storm? I think he will end up in WSBK riding for someone. I wish him luck, great rider.

Hope Nicky gets things worked out & a bike he can ride too.

Rossi has told reporters that Nicky will be Casey's teamate next year!! :cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader ::beerchug::beerchug::beerchug::thumbsup::thumbsup:

MotoGP: Alex De Angelis Re-Signs With Gresini
Tuesday, September 09, 2008
This just in:

FAUSTO GRESINI CONFIRMS ALEX DE ANGELIS FOR 2009

And that takes away another Spies possible ride. The seats are dissapearing fast, I hope Ben ends up on a MotoGP ride.

Like I said :D, the AMA Championship has VERY LITTLE meaning anywhere but here :down: !

THANKS AMA for all your rule changes, crummy tracks and raising out Professional Racing to a World Level :kiss:

Back