Cnn reports Gustav up to Cat 4

I just read the article on Yahoo news myself. They are predicting a Cat 5 at some point. I hope New Orleans rebuilt those levees well!

Thoughts and prayers with all those in the storms path.

i know some people down there in baton rouge. one of the plants in our fleet is there so i wish them all well

They are evacuating New Orleans today..... Pray for them!!!! It is missing us, got some rain and cool weather today from it, will have winds picking up and rain coming in....

Ugghhh... looks like Gustav is going to get what Katrina and Rita missed - the area where I grew up. My whole family, all my old friends - evacuating. Yesterday, no plans. Today, get the **** out town. But where to go? can't go east - into the storm. To the north - that's where New Orleans is evacuating to. West? well that's where the storm will end up. Dallas? square in the path of the storm. I begged all of them years ago to make an evacuation plan. Of course, few of them did. Uggghhhhhh

the weather channel just said winds are now "down" to 140 MPH.
Nothing stands up to wind like that.

Were sitting here watching the weather,hoping the hurricane doesnt turn left anymore.Everything is gassed up just waiting to make a decission wether to stay or leave.

we won't know for sure where is going to hit till sunday nite. it all depends on high pressure in east and low pressure in central, which one stronger can change the path.
the way i see it looks like the eye will hit bodrer of louisiana and alabama.
this thing is a monster, bigger than katrina!

shawn... look at a map of the US sometime.... ALABAMA and LOUISIANA do NOT touch!! It is a small state called MISSISSIPPI in between them!!!

If dam New Orleans gets wiped out again and this nations decides to rebuild it again...THE TOWN SOMEONE THOUGHT WAS A GOOD IDEA TO BUILD 20' BELOW SEA LEVEL IN THE FIRST PLACE!!! I'm going to start shooting people I swear to god!

If dam New Orleans gets wiped out again and this nations decides to rebuild it again...THE TOWN SOMEONE THOUGHT WAS A GOOD IDEA TO BUILD 20' BELOW SEA LEVEL IN THE FIRST PLACE!!! I'm going to start shooting people I swear to god!

At the mouth of the Mississippi River, it is very useful to have a port, and a city large enough to support the port. Cities all along the Mississippi River benefit from there being a city, New Orleans, with a port, at the mouth of the Mississippi. They benefit from goods coming in, and goods going out. I'll even bet that Detroit benefits from there being a port, and a city, New Orleans, at the mouth of the Mississippi River. I'll bet that cars made right there in Detroit, float down the Mississippi River on barges, to the port of new Orleans, where they are loaded on ships to go some where to be sold. In fact I have seen these cars sitting in enormous parking lots next to the river.

A a matter of fact, the port of New Orleans, and the city that supports the port are fairly important to the economy of the United States, due to the sheer tonnage of goods that pass through it.

Here's a quote from the Port of New Orleans web page:
"The Port of New Orleans is at the center of the world’s busiest port complex – Louisiana’s Lower Mississippi River. Its proximity to the American Midwest via a 14,500-mile inland waterway system, six Class One railroads and the interstate highway system makes New Orleans the port of choice for the movement of cargoes such as steel, rubber, coffee, containers and manufactured goods."

Just a thought for anyone who thinks New Orleans shouldn't be there...

We are right now rushing to shut our plant down safely with enought time to head for the hills! We started our shut down sat @ 6:00 PM and I will be here as long as it takes, maybe well into sunday or monday morn. Thinking about leaving everything behind and just taking the Busa, I would like to see Gustav play catch the Busa!!!:laugh:

I read that the MS coast was evacuated... you're back from the beach a few blocks at least, I hope?

we live about a mile north of I-10... which means we are about 5 miles north of the beach.

It's people in Fema trailers and people living in flood zones that have been told to evacuate... not mandatory yet....

My husband works for the power company... so evacuation is not an option for us. Plus at this point (Sunday morning) the roads are all bumper to bumper and the gas stations are running out of gas. So we'll hang out and batten down the hatches. :cheerleader:

my wrong, sorry.. i meant mississippi, double double S and double P.:laugh:

Don't worry Shawn, you're not the first to forget about Mississippi.... like the NATIONAL NEWS when Katrina hit... all eyes were on the poor things in New Orleans while we were trying to dig ourselves out from under the debris of 30 miles of houses and businesses that were demolished and pushed north.

Back