Ramadan 2008................

delboy

God save the Queen.......
Donating Member
Registered
From my mate in Derby - unfookinbeleivable........ This is a actual e mail from Rolls-Royce Main Engine Works Derby England.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 27 August 2008 13:29
To: > McIlveen, Sean; Panton, Kim; Sharp, Alison; James, Roger;
Cook, Stephanie J; Judd, Mark; Flewitt, Sandy; Rhodes, Jayne L; Northam, Sarah L; Kinder, Karen L; McIvor, Debby L; Wells, Victoria J; Knibbs, Ralph A; Taylor, Sue; Kersey, Kim F; Harper, Amanda A; Hedon, Emmanuel; Hemmings, Simon M; Herrick, Nick; McCann, Stephen F; McLaughlin, Grant R; Shannahan, Justin M; Smith, And> rew (Airlines); Waterfield, Mark; Webster, Mark (Top Shop); Willocq, Elisabeth; Wright, Steve J; Atkinson, Gayle; Aycock, Gabrielle (UK); Collier, Anna; Coochey, Sarah M; Foord, Helen L; Graybine, Sarah J; Green, Sue; Haddon, Mark; Haslam, Edward; Lawson, Charlotte; Stock, Hayley; Thomas, Nikki; Trotter, Sophie
Cc: Hart, Caroline; Tyson, Erica S; Vincent, Tina (RRD);
Whittingham, Mike J; Witting, Susan
Subject: Ramadan 2008

Dear all

September 1st/2nd will see the start of the Islamic Month of Fasting,
Ramadan.
The period lasts for 30 days and Muslims are expected to fast from
sunrise to sunset and do not eat or drink during daylight hours, which this year will be from about 4.30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. Muslims fast to discipline their body and mind. The absence of food and drink and other pleasures provides a perfect opportunity to concentrate on prayer and worship. Prayers, fasting, charity, and self-accountability are especially stressed at this time.
This month has many implications for individuals and organisations and
therefore you may wish to take into account some of the following.
* Avoid arranging late meetings, as some of your Muslim
employees/colleagues may need to go home in order to eat.
* During this month those fasting will refrain from food and water
during daylight hours.
* When arranging link calls with overseas partners, be aware of
local times in those destinations in order to avoid clashes with sunset times.
* Be aware those who are fasting may request a different working
pattern during this month. For example early start and early finish.
* Research shows that when fasting fatigue is more common during
the afternoon. Therefore you may notice a difference or dip in performance from those who may be fasting.
* When travelling to overseas countries that observe Ramadan, you
may need to be aware that eating in public can be considered an offence, particularly in middle eastern countries.
* Where there are doubts please ask for clarity.

If you have any questions or require further clarification please do
not hesitate to contact me. And please feel free to forward this to those you feel may benefit from this information.

Regards
Saima

Saima Hussain
Talent Development Consultant
Centre of Excellence (CoE) Resourcing & Deployment PO Box 31 Derby
DE24 8BJ

:wtf:

I'm going to have to try and use this with job, and see how far it will fly.:whistle: :banana:

don't want to eat for a month, your choice
can't stay awake or don't get your work done for a month, my choice=your fired
nothing to do with religion, simple work issue, no workie, no jobbie:rulez:

They do not stop eating for an entire month. They simple limit their meals to hours of darkness. Before sunrise and after sunset is when the do eat and drink.

They do not stop eating for an entire month. They simple limit their meals to hours of darkness. Before sunrise and after sunset is when the do eat and drink.
precisely... also, no coffee, tea or other liquids during the day.. (there are exceptions)

My primary employer is Muslim and he observes Ramadan.. (as well as some other basic year round dietary restrictions (no pork etc) We do not bring food, snacks or other items into the office out of respect for his religion.. (and no had to tell us even :) )

I don't see the big deal with the email.
wow sure glad to see this.. A air of intolerance for religious practice is not a good sign..

Catholics do not eat meat on Fridays, Jewish rest on the Sabbath and I am sure there are other religious practices that are accepted..

I do think this is a sure sign that the radical fundamentalist is having a very negative effect on this religion..

That's fine, I have no problems with that. But I will darn well eat when ever I want to.
We should all respect other peoples beliefs but never compromise ours!

That's fine, I have no problems with that. But I will darn well eat when ever I want to.
We should all respect other peoples beliefs but never compromise ours!
I did not think the email made any reference to "not eating" but only a heads up on what is going on with a particular group of people and in the interest of business, to respect what is going on..

I did not read it as any kind of "you do this" type letter or a call to compromise your own beliefs... (or did I miss something?)

I'm just waiting for the email to come out reminding people to be culturally sensitive of their other holiday, kaboom...

I want a holiday that I get off and everyone else has to work myself.... :) (keeps traffic down ya know)

"Hayabusa Rider Day"
:woot:

wow sure glad to see this.. A air of intolerance for religious practice is not a good sign..

Catholics do not eat meat on Fridays, Jewish rest on the Sabbath and I am sure there are other religious practices that are accepted..

I do think this is a sure sign that the radical fundamentalist is having a very negative effect on this religion..

I totally agree.

I think having tolerance in general is usually a good practice. I think most people work to live rather than live to work. Therefore, any company that is willing to let you have some flexibility and accomadate you when it doesn't negatively affect business in a serious way is doing something good.

Cool, thanks for covering the points that I wanted to but chose not to. :beerchug:Things is that around here when you display tolerance or respect for an other than Christian Faith, a lot of bigotry rears its head.
If you read the original post comprehensively, it is easy to see that the non-muslim worker will not be adversely affected.

precisely... also, no coffee, tea or other liquids during the day.. (there are exceptions)

My primary employer is Muslim and he observes Ramadan.. (as well as some other basic year round dietary restrictions (no pork etc) We do not bring food, snacks or other items into the office out of respect for his religion.. (and no had to tell us even :) )

If you were working with or for someone who was Jewish would you offer/ eat in front of them a Ham and cheese sandwich? It would be blatently offensive to them. Simple respect for others is great.
I don't smoke. Others that know this don't smoke around me out of common courtesy.
I am in Iraq right now and Ramadan is coming soon. A great opportunity for them to know that we don't judge them on thier religious beliefs. We only object to the extreemist, suicidal, and murduress actions of the minority of whack jobs that want to screw up the world.:thumbsup:

If you were working with or for someone who was Jewish would you offer/ eat in front of them a Ham and cheese sandwich? It would be blatently offensive to them. Simple respect for others is great.
I don't smoke. Others that know this don't smoke around me out of common courtesy.
I am in Iraq right now and Ramadan is coming soon. A great opportunity for them to know that we don't judge them on thier religious beliefs. We only object to the extreemist, suicidal, and murduress actions of the minority of whack jobs that want to screw up the world.:thumbsup:

Well said my friend,take care and get back home soon. Semper Fi!

Mein Gott, with comments like this it looks like Barack Obama will be in the Whitehouse sooner than i though :whistle:

Where have all the Rednecks gone, fighting the Russians in Georgia ???

Mein Gott, with comments like this it looks like Barack Obama will be in the Whitehouse sooner than i though :whistle:

Where have all the Rednecks gone, fighting the Russians in Georgia ???
Not sure I know how to take your comment... perhaps someone can help me out here...

I simply practice tolerance for other peoples beliefs.. As Projekt stated, the original letter infringed none on the none Muslim worker, it simply asked that they be observant of what was going on during the month.. But he is right, it certainly rattles the cages of religious bigotry..

I do not agree with many religious beliefs of many religions.. But that has nothing to do with being tolerant of them..

As the .oRg has people from every corner of the planet, I am sure that there are a good number of Muslims here and I welcome them the same as a guy from a full gospel southern baptist church..

My favorite sandwich... BLT.. I will not take one into the office because it would be offensive to the Dr... So I eat turkey instead.. :)

All I see is a msg meant to simply INFORM fellow coworkers. I have no issues with that and hey, expanding one's own horizons even if it's not their own particular belief should never be a crime.

I personally knew nothing about Ramadan, but thanks to that email, I've learned something new. :thumbsup:

Ramadan is almost over (5 days left) Being a muslim I just wanted to confirm that everything mentioned in the OP is correct and let me thank everyone who would show some respect to other people's beliefs. Special thanks to Mr.Bogus for clearfying some of the points. I have to admit that the .ORG is one of the only few places that makes you feel like family. :thumbsup:

Back