Open Firearm Carry

motogp08

Registered
Does anyone know if it is legal to carry a handgun (in the open) in KS?
rock.gif

Also, how old would you have to be? (I've heard anywhere from 18-21)
dunno.gif

Thanks, i'd like to be able to carry my (by my i mean technically my mom's, *because she has to sign for them*) pistol in the open...but can't find any legal info. on it...please help!
sadnews.gif

State Firearms Laws Linky Thingy.

Doesn't seem to prohibit open carry but look into it some more with the above link at least.

Go to Google and search. You may find better info there.

In all states, even open carry states, it's probably preferrable to get a CCW permit.

--Wag--

It say's you have to be 18 to "possess a firearm less than 12 inches long," but to get a CCW permit, you must be 21, does that mean that i can open carry at 18?
rock.gif

It'll land you in the pokey.... You must be 21 for a handgun and though there are state/federal laws most individual cities have ordinances that prohibit this.

It may be legal to carry in the open in some place, though not everywhere in a state, but it is rarely a good idea. Better to wait and get a CCW permit.

Why the need for a gun anyways? I am just paranoid. Someone tried to carjack me once.

Here's my thing. I've open carried before, but only when I'm going to/coming from the range, as I HATE to leave my gun in my car. I didn't like open carrying as it's kinda like saying "Look at me! I'm Billy Badazz! I can show off my gun!", and of course, it tells anyone who may rob wherever you are that you have a gun and to shoot you first. I have my concealed carry permit... I'd say wait the next few years and get that.

I have my CCDW, and in class we learned that certain ares of the laws and the wording are "grey" on pourpose. You should be able to walk around anywhere with a gun in the open according to the "Right To Bear Arms", but we all know it dosen't work that way.

Here's my thing. I've open carried before, but only when I'm going to/coming from the range, as I HATE to leave my gun in my car. I didn't like open carrying as it's kinda like saying "Look at me! I'm Billy Badazz! I can show off my gun!", and of course, it tells anyone who may rob wherever you are that you have a gun and to shoot you first. I have my concealed carry permit... I'd say wait the next few years and get that.
+1 to that!!

It may be legal to carry in the open in some place, though not everywhere in a state, but it is rarely a good idea. Better to wait and get a CCW permit.

Why the need for a gun anyways? I am just paranoid. Someone tried to carjack me once.
Open carry does far more to "prevent" crime than concealed carry ever can or will. A concealed weapon is usually only a last desperate and deadly response to a crime in progress. It's NOT a prevention.

Open carry would be awesome, folks would be a lot more polite and you'd certainly get cut off less in traffic.

I used to ride a LOT in Colorado with my GP100 in a thigh rig. Worked great, repass someone who just cut you off and ride for just a second or two next to their door, and suddenly, Joe Douche is Freddy Friendly.

Rode once to go shoot with my .12 gauge slung across my back... Didn't have a single tailgater the entire ride...
jump9.gif

Yeah, -1... If you feel people are thinking "hey look at him he must think he's Billy Baddass", then you probably shouldn't be carrying at all.

And no, anyone who was thinking of robbing you is no longer thinking of robbing you when they see your pistol. With it concealed they are going to draw a weapon most likely, hold you at gunpoint, and take NOT only your Weapon when they find it, but your wallet as well.

It may be legal to carry in the open in some place, though not everywhere in a state, but it is rarely a good idea.  Better to wait and get a CCW permit.

Why the need for a gun anyways?  I am just paranoid.  Someone tried to carjack me once.
Open carry does far more to "prevent" crime than concealed carry ever can or will.  A concealed weapon is usually only a last desperate and deadly response to a crime in progress.  It's NOT a prevention.

Open carry would be awesome, folks would be a lot more polite and you'd certainly get cut off less in traffic.

I used to ride a LOT in Colorado with my GP100 in a thigh rig.  Worked great, repass someone who just cut you off and ride for just a second or two next to their door, and suddenly, Joe Douche is Freddy Friendly.

Rode once to go shoot with my .12 gauge slung across my back...  Didn't have a single tailgater the entire ride...  
jump9.gif
I don't disagree with that. I believe it would prevent the criminals, and would love it to be legal. However, it's the people driving around who call the police and say "this guy has a gun" then insert whatever story they make up. "He waved it at me" "he pointed it at me" etc...

The criminals will leave you alone, it's the idiots that concern me. If a police officer knows you have a gun, and thinks you are waving and pointing it. That leads to little to no good.

The other thing to look at is - Will you use. Do you think you can shoot someone. Me, I know I could. If they make it a me or them situation, it's them everytime. Bad call on thier part for making me choose.

But all in all I agree with you on almost every point Revlis. Just with society the way it is, unless open carry is legal, having a handgun under 21 is legal, and there is no way to get yourself in trouble doing it, then yeah, go for it. But it rarely is legal and can usually get you into trouble.

Rode once to go shoot with my .12 gauge slung across my back... Didn't have a single tailgater the entire ride...
jump9.gif
I like that. Can you do it legally?
In Colorado, outside of Denver you might still be able to. I was living in Ft. Collins 1990-1996 going to CSU and yeah, used to ride a lot with open carry, STAY OUT OF BOULDER, but otherwise heading up in the mountains got pulled over once by a Stater, he let me know that my taillight wasn't working, and of course asked a few questions about WTF I was doing with a big a55 .357 on my thigh. But no worries. I was on my way in no time.

In Colorado Springs 2002 went shopping at Safeway right off of Garden of the Gods Rd. (Might have been Albertsons) then went to Subway and grabbed lunch before heading up to go shoot. Did some walking around no worries. Some weird looks from the Nervous Housewives but for the most part nobody even looks twice. It's a beautiful thing.

So depending on State laws (be sure you know them) in many areas it's perfectly legal to carry open. Just not in any of the Nazi states. Hell I carry whenever I'm in the woods up here, I'll sling my AR and take it along... You want some weird looks from the Bunny huggers in Sandals? Sling your AR over you're shoulder and go hiking in Washington State...
ices_rofl.gif

Open carry does far more to "prevent" crime than concealed carry ever can or will. A concealed weapon is usually only a last desperate and deadly response to a crime in progress. It's NOT a prevention.

I used to ride a LOT in Colorado with my GP100 in a thigh rig. Worked great, repass someone who just cut you off and ride for just a second or two next to their door, and suddenly, Joe Douche is Freddy Friendly.

jump9.gif
I don't disagree with that. I believe it would prevent the criminals, and would love it to be legal. However, it's the people driving around who call the police and say "this guy has a gun" then insert whatever story they make up. "He waved it at me" "he pointed it at me" etc...

The criminals will leave you alone, it's the idiots that concern me. If a police officer knows you have a gun, and thinks you are waving and pointing it. That leads to little to no good.

The other thing to look at is - Will you use. Do you think you can shoot someone. Me, I know I could. If they make it a me or them situation, it's them everytime. Bad call on thier part for making me choose.

But all in all I agree with you on almost every point Revlis. Just with society the way it is, unless open carry is legal, having a handgun under 21 is legal, and there is no way to get yourself in trouble doing it, then yeah, go for it. But it rarely is legal and can usually get you into trouble.
Yeah I don't think I'll be slinging my AR in Downtown Seattle for just the reasons you've mentioned... (can you imagine the Drama?) But, from experiance Many area's still allow open carry, though I dunno about up here. I have my CWP so it's a non issue, but I'd prefer to carry open, keeps everything nice and friendly.

Now in Oregon isn't just about everything legal?

As far as I know you "can" carry in the open. However, as you mentioned, the bunny huggers reaction is less than apprecitive. There will more than likely be police involved if you are near any city or large town. And even though you aren't breaking a law, there is always that "you just shouldn't, it makes people nervous" attitude.

I say make em nervous. They should be. If you are nervous you are paying attention and less likely that someone is gonna get a jump on you. But... they don't see it like that at all, they believe guns are the problem. So I got my concealed handgun license and just do it that way.

I do have a 30 round clip for my 9mm and three 75 round mags for my SKS... Just in case someone forgets to knock first.
firedevil.gif

Back