Is a fuel efficent car worth it?...

And to think fuel efficient cars are selling like hotcakes above MSRP.

The calculator shows it's not always the best choice.

I think the only way a fuel efficient car would be worth it is if you are still driving around a 1980 full size truck with a big v8 in it.

According to some numbers I threw in there my new Tundra was not a good choice.
laugh.gif

(phsst..like I care)

r8

If I were to take and trade in my Jetta for a new hybrid it would only take 80 years to break even!  I am so in!

Sir I must thank you! When/if we are ever in the same area I will buy you a beer for all the savings.

I think the only way a fuel efficient car would be worth it is if you are still driving around a 1980 full size truck with a big v8 in it.
Maybe not. That old truck is likely paid for. The cost of buying the new 'eco-box' has to be factored into the equation...whether you're financing or paying cash...

I think the real issue is how much fuel we're consuming. Assuming, of course, that we care more about what problems the next generation will face than we do about our personal finances
poke.gif

laugh.gif

I think the real issue is how much fuel we're consuming. Assuming, of course, that we care more about what problems the next generation will face than we do about our personal finances  
poke.gif

laugh.gif
Never crossed my mind. I'm an American and I want my V-8.
winkold.gif

Figure some time soon a V-8 will be a thing of the past. There is plenty of fuel but Congress is just a "point and blame the other side" do nothing body.

Good points however.

r8

that's weird... if i traded in my non-existant 07 dodge diesel for a new camry hybrid, the dealer would owe me 5716. and on top of that I would save 244. per month in gas...
lurk.gif

but if I trade my camry hybrid for the dodge diesel I crave I would owe the dealer over 21,000. and I would also have to pay an additional 244. per month in gas...
beerchug.gif

I guess I can't argue with my wife over the benefits of tossing the stupid camry hybrid and getting my truck
guns.gif

another "NUMBERS GAME" to me. I WILL have to buy a newer vehicle sometime soon. this calculator makes it seems like buying a more fuel efficient car makes no sense. but if you are buying ANYWAY, what is the difference? Of COURSE it makes sense. Of course it does NOT make sense to stop using your current vehicle and "Buy" a more efficient one if yours is working and paid off. silly.

Well another factor you have to consider is where do you want your money to be going to. Even though the hybrids are more expensive you are sending less money to the gas companies and oil producing countries.  Ultimately, in my eyes, it's really just a matter of where you want your money to end up at.  That's why I bought my Busa.  I'd rather my money go to Japan with a smile on my face from all the great riding than to sit in my cager and send that same amount of money out to all of the oil industries. Just my opnion though.  
cool.gif

Back