Drag Racing

jefferycarman

Lost and confused
Donating Member
Registered
I recently went down to the Woodburn Drag Strip with a Co-worker. He is running an Audi, his daily driver, that hits low 12's currently. So while I am there he starts asking about the busa and how it does on the strip. Drops a few man I would love to see that sort of comments.

Needless to say I now am starting to really think about going down there when they do thier public type days.

Lots of questions, or I guess, just a general lack of knowledge. I have never drag raced, not even in a car. So I am looking at where I need to start my learning. What do I need to know. What sort of gear/mods are needed and what's recommended.

I know there are a few drag pro's out there. Just hoping you can get me pointed in the right direction to start.

Psssst - I know you know some Proffesor

whistling.gif

no need to do anything for your first trip but learn how it all works (sensory overload ya know)

Leather jacket
Leather pant
over the ankle leather boot and of course your DOT lid.. (many tracks are pretty liberal on "run what ya brung" nights, call and talk to them yourself on what is "required" for your first trip out there..

as simple as drag racing appears on the top, it gets pretty complicated pretty fast.. first trip out should be to get a pass or 2 down the track and learn the routine (one trip is rarely enough for most)

Tech inspection- usually your first encounter with the "track officials" you normally buy a tech card when you enter the track

They will check your gear, and the bike (to keep you safe) the stock busa will sail through inspection as long as it has good tires etc..

Staging: you will see lines of cars in line to race.. these lanes are mostly specific to the car (slicks, street tires etc) you will usually see a lane just for bikes..

the TREE: About the Christmas tree don't worry about great reaction times or ET... just get it down the track safely... you will find leaving somewhere around the "mid to late second amber" will work just fine for you.. congrats if you redlight the first outting actually
smile.gif

then sit around for an hour or so pumped ready for your next ride..

I walk 1 or 2 guys a week through there first trip to the line and it is a blast... get pics!! you will want them for later
smile.gif

BTW a low 12 street car is pretty stout!

smile.gif

Yeah, his car is pretty bad arse. He is a mechanical engineer and a genius in the all around. That and he plants seeds
firedevil.gif

I know at Woodburn on Thursdays they do the general public thing, that's what I went to, and the guys were making a pass every 10-15 minutes. Sometimes quicker. It's a smaller drag strip, and isn't too far from the big Portland one, so less crowded I guess.

Another thing that I was wondering. Read a couple of reviews that said the 08 has a hard time keeping the front end down at launch. Not that I will be blasting out like that, but anyone experienced it? Are they hyping it up a bit or is that something to be concerned about?

I am a card carrying NHRA tech inspector... (tough test, open book, all the time in the world to take too)
laugh.gif

Really all the other stuff will fall into place after you get over the "first pass jitters"

The most fun I have is with the Jr Dragsters on their first run... We help them out but still treat them like any other responsible racer... is amazing how mature some of these young racers are.. (and they know the rules like nobodies biz)

I think the best advice I have seen about the busa for new racers is the 2000RPM launch and get that clutch out as quick as possible without dropping the RPM's

If it was that easy, everyone would do it and be good at it... it takes a "machine" to be consistent.. Professor is one of those machines that is pretty much "unflappable" on the starting line...

All you gotta do is show up to PIR any friday night,most days I'm there and I will walk & talk you thru it...I race at Woodburn every Sunday,tons of bikes there and a test lane,we do streetbike shootouts once a month also...Call me and you can go with me or meet me anytime for lessons...503-663-3278 I train alot of the rookies around here...

Yeah, that's a great offer! Although GC is the man
bowdown.gif

Now I just have to finish convincing the wife... and that may be the hardest part
lol1.gif

Oh, and it was good chatting with you the other day GC. I need to get a pic of that green monster out in front of your shop, or perhaps talk the wife in to coming out. Although she has about the same hours you do, lol, so I will have to work on that one.

If I can get a day off sometime in the near future I will hit you up for a dyno run, just to see where it's at now. I have taken off the reflectors and some stickers... so I may be missing some HP

Now I just have to finish convincing the wife... and that may be the hardest part
lol1.gif
I've always said it is safer than riding on the street.

All the protective gear is required.

Medical personnel are already on the scene if something happens.

There are only two vehicles on the track at a time and they are both going the same direction with their own lane.

There are no intersections

You are making a 1/4 mile run with about a 3/8 mile shutdown. Total average speed for the 5/8 mile "trip" about 63mph

Adding to what Bogus said"¦
You want your pants and jacket to zip together. You sure don't want your jacket pulling up, exposing skin if you are sliding on the pavement.

Go to the races and observe the other riders to get a feel for the procedures (better yet, take GC up on his offer) Talk to the officials and see if they accept the bank angle switch in the fuel injection system in lieu of a dead man tether.

Yes the 08 is going to want to wheelie, more so than the 99-07. The control for it is in your right hand. Take it easy at first. On your first pass take off like you are leaving a stop light and roll the throttle to 75% in about the same amount of time that it takes you to get through 1st. You are in no hurry , you are just getting a feel for the track. Make the shift and roll the throttle this time to 100%. When you get to the 1/8 or so back off the throttle and maintain that speed through the quarter. You'll go through the lights around 120. The adrenalin will be running. Slow for the turn back to the return lane. You will want to slow more than it feels like you should. You were just running 115mph or so"¦ the mind will play tricks on you. Stop by the ET shack and pick up your ticket!

Ok you made your first pass.. Now you can start working on progressively faster passes. Roll the throttle on a bit faster with each pass and stay in it a bit longer each pass. Stay within your comfort level, don't worry about what other are doing and or thinking. The seat time, the more comfort. The more comfort you have with the speed , the better you can deal with something happening during the run. Tire spin, wheelies, someone drifting into etc. It will happen and you'll be better prepared for it.

Awesome. Thanks for all the advice Professor and Mr B. I will definitly have to get with GC and get some learnin done.

Thanks guys

Don't forget gloves! You have to have gloves. I was real nervous my first time. The week before, I found an old country road to practice my launches. It helped me, but it is not the same kind of feel as the track. I was scared to death of 12 0'clocking my bike on take off, so I went easy on my launches. What surprised me was my front would come up when I shifted into 2nd. It was still a ton of fun. I can't wait to go back!

I have the Alpine star SP-1's. They are comfy, and I think they should be fine for my slow speed pass
lol1.gif

Honestly after your first pass down the track with the wife watching it will calm her nerves..Come on out anytime...I know all the tech folks and most owners at the tracks here well...

My offer goes out to anyone reading this post....call or come by if you want help... 503-663-3278

Back