car shopping 4x4

300Busa

Chillaxin...
Donating Member
Registered
I am looking at the Nissan Xterra and the Jeep Patriot. I like the Jeep because of the gas mileage and price, but I like the Xterra for the interior looks and comfort. Any experience with these? I want the 4x4 model and plan on keeping long term.

I was considering both till I drove the Toyota 4Runner. The 4Runner is awesome and I have no regrets. Just something to consider.

i have a gran cherokee. if i had known how nice the 4 door unlimited wranglers were going to be that'd be what id be driving

i have a gran cherokee.  if i had known how nice the 4 door unlimited wranglers were going to be that'd be what id be driving
I haven't looked into those yet. My wife has a Jeep liberty limited that is very nice and off-road capable. I get one of them for cheap, but I don't want the same car as my wife.

I was considering both till I drove the Toyota 4Runner.  The 4Runner is awesome and I have no regrets.  Just something to consider.
thumb_up.gif

r8

I was going to get the four door wrangler, but my 4 door tacoma is way nicer. I was just about to buy the patriot for my wife this last week but she is not going to off road and she fell in love with the pontiac Torrent (chevy equinox) I must say it really is a nice ride, and it has AWD so she never has to switch any buttons which is good because she doesn't have patients to make sure it is done properly ever time.
beerchug.gif

take a look at new 2009 honda pilot real time 4wd. it is worth of test driving it. honda safety, reliabilty, great resale value.
it is build in car chassis not truck. drives great.

We have the Xterra and love it - good price, good options, good mileage, excellent towing, great all-around vehicle and no problems in 3 years. The main selling point for us was the 6 speed manual transmission.

Cap_s_001.jpg

We got an 08 Pathfinder LE 4x4 and it rocks FWIW. It's very nice, 380hp V-8 in a midsize SUV is a hoot as well. I'd avoid the Jeep like the plague though, drove both the Parody (I mean patriot) and the Commander. Both Are so lacking in finish and attention to detail that they were quickly off the list of possibilities. The one time Chrysler/Mercedes Merger did nothing for the brand. The Jeep CJs are still same as ever, but of course they are priced as if they are built well also.

Toyota four runner FTW though really, if they hadn't a been giving away Pathfinders we would have bought a 4-Runner. While Toyota cars are as bland as retirement home chili, their trucks are still rock solid and well engineered.

I spent a year or so bombing around every now and then in a friends X-Terra, they are ok, but they are slow and get pretty poor fuel mileage. Though the Nissan will remain problem free much much longer than the Jeep will and will likely be far better off road. But yeah, the biggest complaint I heard from my buddy was that the X-terra got just as crappy a gas mileage as his late 90's Suburban. True enough, on the interstate and around town the X-terra's smaller motor was working so much harder so often that it used more gas than the big old Suburban did.

If I were in your position right now, I'd find a year or two old Certified Pre-Owned Toyota 4-Runner with the V6 and never look back... FWIW It's just that much better than the X-Terra or Patriot in every way. Actual 4X4 capability (Locking Diffs, Body on frame construction), and the ergonomics, handling, and build quality are all better. This isn't guessing, the wife and I just got done with a 4 month SUV search and like I said the 4-Runners are better in just about every way, if you are planning on keeping a vehicle for a long time and actually going offroad? I'd do a 4-Runner.

I got hit by an Exterra, it hurt really bad but the truck didn't even scratch if that helps.
beerchug.gif

Back